• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sad Loss (1 Viewer)

Birdiebee

2 weeks agao i was delighted when i noticed there was a robins next hidden by some ivy. a couple of days i quickly videoed the event and.saw i think 4 babies with their eyes closed but with some black fur. ive been videoing the area and noticed there was no activity from the robin so this morning went to have alook at saw that the nest was empty except from a little discarded baby one. i am still a beginner in bird watching and want to help nature/wildlife and i feel so heartbroken and feel responsible for them dieing when i have one video of 4 hungry little babies.
can someone explain what i did wrong or was it just nature? so i can learn for next time.

Hi Birdiebee and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to a more suitable forum and subscribed you to the thread so that you can find it easily. You can cancel the subscription at any time if you wish.

It could simply be that the Robins fledged, leaving one behind who didn't make it (this is quite common). However, it is important to not disturb a nest in any way, or the adults will abandon it, leaving the way for any predator to come in.

In a bird's eyes, you are a predator too remember.

Maybe some other members will have some other observations.

part of mother nature is a nest may have more than they can feed successfully. depends on many things such as reliable foid around, competition, weather. yours may have had three fat fledglings off happily and one that didnt thrive for many reasons.

we watch and hope and enjoy and where we can protect them. we dont disturb them and in winter/spring we offer appropriate foods and nestboxes, we plant food plants and we try and keep cats and hedgetrimmers away until the birds have done what they can. that is all we can do apart from learn about broader environmental issues.

Also, if they did get predated, some predatory bird/mammal/reptile and/or their young got fed. Yaay!

Everything has to eat and there is no right or wrong about it. Robins look scary to caterpillars.....

John

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back