• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica IV (1 Viewer)

Nickk

Photos taken at Heliconias Lodge in the Caribbean side of the Guanacaste Cordillera

Attachments

• UFO57389.jpg
    UFO57389.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 111
  • UFO57258.jpg
    UFO57258.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 106
  • UFO57255.jpg
    UFO57255.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 101
  • UFO57248.jpg
    UFO57248.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 103
  • UFO57250.jpg
    UFO57250.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 96
Ok, how about Greyish Saltator, Common Tody-Flycatcher, Seedeater sp, Bue-and-White and Southern Rough-winged Swallows and Groove-billed Ani. Be sure to check these in afield guide though, as I'm winging it here, without any books to hand.

James

Agree with JW except

1 - Buff-throated Saltator - the bird looks too warm on the upperparts rather olive..
3 - Slate-coloured Seed-eater female? - Dark bill?

Agree with JW except

1 - Buff-throated Saltator - the bird looks too warm on the upperparts rather olive..
QUOTE]

Here are a couple more photoso of the Saltator. Throat seems to be yellow in most pics but you can also see white in some.

Attachments

• ufo57430.jpg
    ufo57430.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 57
  • ufo57432.jpg
    ufo57432.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 56
Nickk,

Initially thought Buff-throated - Combination of warm olive uppers, yellowish tinge to flight feather edges in 1st pic. Except short eyestripe ending just behind eye is more indicative of Greyish though as is the more extensive colouring to the vent, lower belly. Is that green tinge digital? Affected by the surroundings? I guess I've just talked myself out of it therefore JW's probably correct and it is Greyish!

Last edited:
Definitely Grayish Saltator- I think it looks warmer due to lighting.
Im not sure about Ani- where was photo taken?
I agree on others although Seedeater to me is probably female Variable. Slate-colored is pretty rare in CR.

I think on the ani picture, the largest image should show the groves on the sides of upper mandible if they had been there. However, if we could get a blow up of that bill (or another one that is in focus) that should help.

Also a reminder that geography is not always the answer; I heard both species within a few miles of each other in Panama.

Niels

Yes, but surely geography in this case points at Groove-billed as the only overlap zone in CR is along the central Pacific coast whereas this one was photo'd northwards on the Caribbean side of the Guanacaste Cordillera. I'm pretty sure the overlap zone in Panama is much greater.

I didnt even notice that these were taken at Heliconias!- great spot for several uncommon species but typically bad weather. Yes, as BirdBoyBowley says, should be Groove-billed for reasons mentioned. Does look like it might have grooves on bill too.

.... Is that green tinge digital? Affected by the surroundings?

Juv. Greyish is largely green, and commonly cause confusion, as rarely illustrated in field guides (in most cases it isn't even mentioned in the text, and in the few cases where it is, the description is often "rather inaccurate" to put it in diplomatic terms):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/knowprose/2099041834/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knowprose/2098251307/

No major surprise that the person who took above photos started out by suggesting the extralimital (and white-throated) Lesser Antillean. Regardless of age, a good hint for separating Greyish and Buff-throated is the tail: Always essentially grey in the former, always olive-green in the latter. Useful both on upper- & undertail. The belly is only useful when as obvious as in the individual discussed in this thread, but that depends on both age (far less in "true" juv's than in individuals moulting into ad.), subspecies, and individual variation.

For the ani, you don't need the grooves in the bill; check the profile, esp. where culmen comes into contact with forehead (check identification section: http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Smooth-billed_Ani - the currently used photo shows an individual "fluffing" the feathers on the head, and is less useful for direct comparison, though). Agree that the seedeater probably is a Variable, but wouldn't guarantee it based on the available photo.

Last edited:
I didnt even notice that these were taken at Heliconias!- great spot for several uncommon species but typically bad weather. Yes, as BirdBoyBowley says, should be Groove-billed for reasons mentioned. Does look like it might have grooves on bill too.

For what its worth, here is a close up of the Ani bill

Attachments

• ufo57250b.jpg
    ufo57250b.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 64
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back