• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vintage Binoculars (2 Viewers)

You might keep an eye out for the BU Ships Mark XXX 7x50 by Spencer. It is a somewhat smaller binocular and has a larger 7.7* fov.

I looked this up, nice binocular, it sounds quite a rare find these days, pretty unlikely to see one come up in the UK I would think, but I will keep a look out, thanks.

I have recently bought (for a few £ on Ebay) a pair of Federal Optical Laboratories Fieldmaster 9x35 bins. I have a real fondness for these Japanese bins from 1960s which are often very nice to use. These are particularly nice, 'featherweight' magnesium body, 8 degree FoV, very sharp, even a built in compass in the case! They are described as weather-sealed. Forgive my technical ignorance but given they are porros this presumably doesn't mean waterproof?

I have recently bought (for a few £ on Ebay) a pair of Federal Optical Laboratories Fieldmaster 9x35 bins. I have a real fondness for these Japanese bins from 1960s which are often very nice to use. These are particularly nice, 'featherweight' magnesium body, 8 degree FoV, very sharp, even a built in compass in the case! They are described as weather-sealed. Forgive my technical ignorance but given they are porros this presumably doesn't mean waterproof?

Hello Nick,

If they are individual focus, they might be splash proof.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

In period documentation both Zeiss and Goerz who among others manufactured this binocular specify the Fernglas 08 is a 6X39. See: http://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/12576014064/ .

LPT, Thanks for the link, and mention of Dr Rohans book on military binoculars, I have now managed to get hold of a copy of this terrific book (new), I note the 08 is indeed 6x and interestingly the 09 fairly rare, there is an 09 imperial navy on auction at present which started at £10, I was going to bid but it is now up to £117 and rising, too high for me. Was nice to see my SARD covered in the book as well.

Can anyone enlighten me on a pair of Carl Zeiss Jena, 6x24, Telexem. My Dad bought these in Berlin around 1930. I have them, now, with the original leather case. I'm also curious as to the value these might have. Thanks.

Hello ZD,

It was a centre focus model, made from 1912-1935. Models made after 1927 had a 150 m. field of view according to Peter Abram's web site. I do not keep up with prices but it is a well made binocular, but very obsolete, as it has no coatings. It was a very elegant binocular made for the tourist and suitable for bird watching. The 6x30 Silvarem was probably the top dog, when your Telexem was made
I have an earlier individual focus version of this binocular, a Telex.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Is Zeiss Wetzlar really Zeiss? curious

I am just curious really, have seen a few vintage porro's labelled Zeiss Wetzlar for sale lately, but they don't look typically Zeiss to me, they have things like "triple tested" and"coated lenses" and numbers on the prism plates and to me have a very Japanese 1970s / 80s look about them. Anyone know anything about these?

This is mine: https://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/9458288491/
The plus is a terrifically sharp view edge to edge, and the minus is an extreme green/yellow tint to view which is to my eyes very unpleasant. Build quality is good but not exceptional. Despite appearances it certainly isn't waterproof. Holger Merlitz and Fan Tao have good reviews of this binocular, and there are links to these reviews in my Flickr description.

This is mine: https://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/9458288491/
The plus is a terrifically sharp view edge to edge, and the minus is an extreme green/yellow tint to view which is to my eyes very unpleasant. Build quality is good but not exceptional. Despite appearances it certainly isn't waterproof. Holger Merlitz and Fan Tao have good reviews of this binocular, and there are links to these reviews in my Flickr description.

That's an interesting view of the eye lens Frank, I had an old porro where the eye lens coating had been so poor and degraded that the view was actually improved by removing the coating, but I have never come across a lens where the actual glass is colored like this.

That's an interesting view of the eye lens Frank, I had an old porro where the eye lens coating had been so poor and degraded that the view was actually improved by removing the coating, but I have never come across a lens where the actual glass is colored like this.

You guys rock. Thanks a lot. Im going to be selling a few pairs soon I just couldn't find proper descriptions.

Additions to Vintage Binocular Collection

The following have been added to my collection since the last posting on
February 7, 2014:

1) AGA-Baltic, 6X30
2) Bausch & Lomb, Canadian marked Military Stereo 6X30
3) Bausch & Lomb, U.S. Army Signal Corps EE Type Prism Stereo 6X30
4) Filotecnica Salmoiraghi, Escerito Italiano 8X30
5) Hartmann Wetzlar, Bernina 7X50
6) Huet Paris, Indix 6X24
7) Srb & Stys Prague, D.F. 7X50
8) U.S. Naval Gun Factory, U.S. Navy BU. ORD. Mark 37 9X63
9) Carl Zeiss Jena, Delactem 8X40
10) Carl Zeiss Jena blc, Dienstglas 10X50

I would appreciate any comments, further information or corrections the members of this forum could provide about these binoculars and my descriptions of them.

Once again, thanks to members of this and other forums who have provided new information about the binoculars in the collection.

The new binoculars can be viewed at:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/sets/72157645126718315/

The entire collection including additions can be viewed at:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/sets/72157623234405689/detail/

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back