• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

October 2016 GB&I (1 Viewer)

smokenack

After a very quiet start to the month last night produced a respectable 24 moths of 12 species including my first garden Acleris sparsana (please correct me if I have that wrong, FW 10mm) and a late Plumed Fan-foot which makes 26 for the year over 20 nights.

Attachments

• DSCN5129 (2).JPG
    DSCN5129 (2).JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 87
As I walked past a hedge this afternoon near my home I disturbed a whitish moth which flew across the road + landed on a parked car window. Excited to see it was Palpita vitrealis- my second ever + my first for London.

A fresh Box-tree moth (Cydalima perspectalis) next to the security lights of the NHM in South Kensington on Friday.
Also shown a picture by a friend of one taken in a house in Wandsworth during the week.
Martin

A fresh Box-tree moth (Cydalima perspectalis) next to the security lights of the NHM in South Kensington on Friday.
Also shown a picture by a friend of one taken in a house in Wandsworth during the week.
Martin

During the week I had nine on the house wall above my UV and below the Halogen, also have had a Black Rustic (only my 3rd ever...has a preference for calcareous soil....mine is clay!) However my 1st Merveille du Jour this evening of the Autumn, and Barred Sallow, were a welcome change from the LYU and Square-spot Rustics of late.

As I walked past a hedge this afternoon near my home I disturbed a whitish moth which flew across the road + landed on a parked car window. Excited to see it was Palpita vitrealis- my second ever + my first for London.

Had my first for the garden on th 7th. Astonishingly (at least to me) this would appear to be only the 2nd post 1990 record for VC18 although Brian Goodey in his Moths of Essex shows a few historic records for the vice county. I thought that it was a regular migrant as I often see it mentioned on moth group sites.

My catch last night....Great Ranunculus, LYU, Brimstone, Box-tree Moth, Merveille du Jour and Red-green Carpet.

Cheers

Still chugging along, 8 moths of 6 species last night. I've had my 2nd and 3rd Barred Sallow over the last week so that's been nice. Looks like I've missed out on the Convolvulus Hawk invasion |=(|

I'll carry on until early November when I go on holiday to Madagascar for a couple of weeks plant hunting. I'll try not to bring any hitchhikers back with me this year. |=)| I'm not sure about the legal status of trapping in Madagascar, I'll have to find out as it should be fantastic for moths, hopefully I can take a sheet and light with me.

Hi
Am I right in thinking that you will just be running a light for observation?
I quote "Collecting permits are required and difficult to obtain. Export can be exceedingly difficult and often requires leaving specimens for months while paperwork is processed".
A colleague has been there so I've asked for some more specific information.
Martin

Hi
Am I right in thinking that you will just be running a light for observation?
I quote "Collecting permits are required and difficult to obtain. Export can be exceedingly difficult and often requires leaving specimens for months while paperwork is processed".
A colleague has been there so I've asked for some more specific information.
Martin

Yes that's right Martin, I'll just be running a light outside my hotel rooms where possible for observation and photography. Any informatuon you can obtain would be appreciated.

One of our guides last year in Mozambique said that I was 'fishing for moths' which I thought was lovely.

Thanks

Nick

Last edited:
As it was mild last night I ran the trap Barnes, SW London:
1 Box-tree moth
3 Tachystola acroxantha
2 Light Brown Apple moth
1 Double-striped Pug
1 Barred Sallow
1 Large Yellow Underwing
1 Cypress Carpet
10 Large Wainscot
2 Red-line Quaker
1 Square-spot Rustic
1 Mallow
1 Grey Pine Carpet (probable - very worn)
1 Eudonia angustea
1 Phyllonorycter messaniella
plus lots oc Caddis and some nocturnal Ichneumonidae
Not too bad a haul
Martin

Last edited:
16 E.postvittana and a Rusty-dot Pearl last night. A couple more nights and then that's me done until March. Winter trapping in my garden has always been a complete waste of time.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back