• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (21 Viewers)

Please could somebody find a mega, because otherwise there's not enough incentive for me to make the trip back from Oxford! I did leave all my bowls, plates, mugs, and cutlery behind, but that's really just a way of justifying myself if I do have to come down for the day ;)

Please could somebody find a mega, because otherwise there's not enough incentive for me to make the trip back from Oxford! I did leave all my bowls, plates, mugs, and cutlery behind, but that's really just a way of justifying myself if I do have to come down for the day ;)

Will try my hardest James!!!:t:;)

Re Penny's #9938

I'm glad to see that there are some birds in E Norfolk.

I was worried that everything might have been overflying that part of county and only making landfall further west !

Last edited:
Its dripping with birds on Blakeney Point!!! Tons of goldcrest, redwings, song thrushes, chiffchaffs etc etc etc Black Redstart and Brambling on the roof of Halfway House and Chiffchaff on the table!!!!

Red-flanked bluetail!!

On seaward side of pines at East Hills (Wells) today. No access until low tide tomorrow. Not the easiest place to get to I would imagine.
Cheers
Richard

Also Olive-backed pipit at Stiffkey (tho that mut be a bugger to pin down), and Radde's Warbler at Warham Green's. Another lickle elusive job.

Does the raptor roost occur there this time of year?

Considering a trip to Norfolk tomorrow but altho still an easterly wind birds may clear out overnight as sky is gonna be clear.

well well a midland birder having an overnight stay in norfolk.absolutely stunning day,after starting at Holme a nice few birds there including Bl.redstart,Brambling and other bits,we were deciding on where to move to after some Brekky,John (reader) suggested warham green,looked and sounded good,obvious big movement of Thrushes,stuff pouring over,john got some super close pics of Siskin,as we worked the bushes and hedgerows,pager signals OBP at stiffkey not far,so off we trot,but wow what a hike out to the gorse,think birders on ice,but replace with mud,eventually after brief flight views and calls,the bird performed fantastically,not diving into bushes,but padding along on the path revealing a wicked "sibe",also seen a fave of mine yellow browed warbler awsome close views attained,and an obvious big fall of crests ,but alas no Firecrest could be summoned from the flock,On way back to the car,V Vbrief views of what might of been a Pec sand,but not enough seen,i wanted to go to Yarmouth for the newly found Raddes warbler,but it was probably to far today,so back to warham green,parked at the end of track and started trying to sift thru a tit flock ,no joy,then john tells me the news i long to hear,"raddes" warham the pit,we walk the other way,and some friendly guy,dismayed we are not going for bird,tells is its the other way,we follow him,and the finder joyously tells us its showing well ,and it bloody did,this closes an agonising chase for my Bogey bird,cannot think how many i have nearly seen,but nailed Mr shwarzi at last.

Ps overnighting at the backpackers off for a nice meal and some beer...cheers

I woke up this moanin’, then I got the Blues

East Hills, singles of:

Great Grey Shrike

Yellow-browed Warbler

Firecrest

Tree Pipit

Woodcock

Hen Harrier

Oh, and

RED-FLANKED BLUETAIL

Lotsa Song Thrushes, Blackbirds, Robins, many Bramblings, fewer Chiffchaffs, a few Redstarts and Ring Ousels.

*** THIS SITE AND ITS ACCESS ARE VERY DANGEROUS AT THE MOMENT- EXTREME HIGH TIDES HAVE MADE THE TRACK THE WETTEST I'VE SEEN. IF YOU GO OUT, GO WITH SOMEONE WHO 'KNOWS' ***

Timed the Olive-Backed Pipit perfectly as it walked slowly across the path less than 10m away literally within seconds of me arriving! Absolutely stunning bird! It then showed well for at least 10 more minutes, but in some slightly longer grass.

Also timed the Radde's Warbler at Warham pretty well. It showed brilliantly on a dead twig within 15 minutes.

More on my website...what a day!

Last edited:
Good birds OBP and radde's seen well also a hen or montagu's harrier

No problem with my afternoon sightings of the olive-backed pipit and (Warham Pit not Yarmouth!) Radde's warbler.

No problem with rarity IDs
As I arrived at the OBP it had gone to cover. Two brief flight views before bird came out and landed on the path and walked along and behind some sea-blite. Time to leave before the tide comes in and the mud gets worse.

Paged the radde's whilst at Stiffkey Campsite. I was going to walk to whirligig anyway.
Carried on past the whirligig to the "Blyth's Reed Warbler" Pit. A birder thinks he has the radde's low down. Others start watching the area. I see the bird fly out. Looked good. Bird picked up after a second move by a yellow flower.
Best views from near the ivy with the hawthorn and elder. At one point radde's in full view creeping upa branch.

Earlier in the day
No problem with the very confiding Holme pec sand. Complete frame filler in the scope.

Return to the sea buckthorn clump where a wryneck has flown to. No sign but two chiffchaffs. (Oh and both much more clearly marked behind the eye than my possible icterine from last week. My alleged hippo appeared plain faced and didn't look like a typical chiffy. Iccy not seen for long enough to be either clinched (or binned as a chiffchaff!)

Knew about the OBP before I reached the pec. Find my own brambling and kingfisher. Then what I assume to be a male ringtail hen harrier. Monty's not considered. Bird, passing close, turns and then appears dark and "brick red" underneath. Think no more and leave for the OBP.

Bird paged as a monty's. could well have been. Not entirely sure!

A great 3.5 days in Norfolk this week although i had to come home this morning as the real fun began but managed 3 lifers (4 if you include a Golden Pheasant ) so very pleased with how the week turned out.

Been after a YB Warbler for ages but had amazing views by the drinking pool in Wells Woods yesterday morning......those woods arent my favourite place but they came up trumps yesterday.

And nice friendly birders at the RB Fly twitch at Holme.

Roll on the Spring.

Then what I assume to be a male ringtail hen harrier... "brick red" underneath. Think no more and leave for the OBP.

I know juvenile Hen Harriers can be a bit orangey underneath, and in low evening sunshine they can appear more than a bit orangey, but how often do you see Hen Harriers that are brick red underneath?

(I'm only jealous cos I birded hard from dawn to dusk trying to find my own Bluetail, OBP or Radde's and managed didlisquat apart from common migrants).

Halftwo..I wouldnt recommend trying to visit East Hills for the Bluetail as it is exceptionally difficult and dangerous to get there and theres every chance of another Bluetail turning up somewhere else in N Norfolk tommorow.
Ive never been to East Hills due to the above but it sounds an amazing place. The Punkbirders etc have shown that it rarely fails to produce quality birds in good conditions..in fact arguably far more productive than anywhere else in Norfolk. Scolt Head Island is similar..with similar access problems..went there once..looked brilliant. Blakeney Point on its day can compete I guess. These are real birders sites not for the feint hearted with real risk/reward.
Lets get the masses into Holkham Pines tommorow imo, theres gotta be hordes in there....

Cheers, Cortonbirds. I can't get there tomorrow anyway - and I can't see any route to it on any map! I've seen a UK RFB so am not too bothered - I'm sure they'll be plenty to look at in the area during my stay!
Are low tides currently am or pm btw?

East Hills

Do not try to go to east hills unless you know the way, know the tides or go with somebody who does. Somebody drowned a few years ago trying to get back and we have the highest tides of the year this weekend, so its even more dangerous !!

Blakeney point has a far superior track record of producing rare birds and you are less likely to drown!

Don't you just love norfolk, there were birds eveywhere today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back