• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (2 Viewers)

Had quite a pleasant wander round in the fine weather this evening. Didn't see too much though. Two Manx Shearwaters drifter south. An Arctic Tern was in Nigg Bay. A few Bottlenose Dolphins were around. That's about it.

Frustrating few mornings seawatching over the week...very quiet indeed, and only marginally less quiet this morning with about 10 arctics and 4 bonx south in an hour. Tomorrow morning might be better though....

Things started well today with a house tick when I scoped a Bar-tailed Godwit wandering about on the golf course by the allotments. It soon flew off to the north shore. Otherwise things were still quiet. Lots of dolphin activity again. Six Knot and two Purple Sandpipers were below the Coo. I had a tramp around the marsh at St Fitticks and flushed just one Snipe. The pool near the football pitch looks a better bet for waders, but was deserted when I checked.

Later on a Common Scoter went north.

Nice day today. Summer's arrived, what with it being September. And I saw a Swift as well, so it must be summer. Lots of dolphin shenanigans too. Was hoping for some other cetacean action, which has generally been eluding me lately. Once again it wasn't to be. Yesterday I was looking at the wagtails in Greyhope Bay but they soon flew off so I didn't really get to sort them out. I had a bit longer with them today and would say pretty confidently that at least four were White Wagtails. Very little else was around: a couple of Knot, a Sparrowhawk.

I had a white wag today and very, very little else...thought it was a great day for cetaceans too but could do no better than the dolphins and a single harbour porpoise.

A goldcrest in the garden of the Torry Bird Observatory south facing branch (or whatever we decided my flat was) this morning.

Migrant ahoy!

An extremely mildly interesting seawatch this morning, the best being a sooty shear north, along with a few arctic skuas, manxies etc. Lots of vismig going on too, with good numbers of swallows, mepits and alba wagtails heading south first thing. Only thing in with them of note was a swift.

A slightly more interesting day than anticpated. I was mostly showing my mum around the Ness, so wasn't looking too hard. Greyhope Bay had a good number of Ringed Plover, a Dunlin, five Purple Sandpipers and a Wheatear. Two Knot were at the end of the Ness and two Bottle-nosed Dolphins were around the river mouth. There are still four Goosander about. Offshore there were oodles of auks, with more Razorbills than there have been. Two Manx Shearwaters went north and a Red-throated Diver south.

The big surprise was a worn looking Glaucous Gull that flew south right over the Coo before heading inland and out of sight. Probably around a third calendar-year bird. I guess it's one that's been over-summering somewhere - not a species I expect to see in September.

An Arctic Skua was harrassing the Kittiwakes early in the evening.

I was out a few times over the weekend with nothing more interesting to report than good numbers of pink-footed geese going over.

Slightly better this morning with a flock of 12 barwits south, 4 mystery waders (probably ruff) south, and a staggering 119 red throated divers south between 06:30 and 07:30.

A brisk walk round the Ness this afternoon,produced a Common Buzzard on the Golf Course,hunting worms.A single Bar tailed Godwit on the sand of Nigg Bay.Hundreds of Auks off the Coo,along with an Arctic Skua and plenty Gannets Including plenty juvenile birds.A flock of 52 Linnets In Walkers Park and a single Wheatear along from Greyhope Bay.By the time I got to the Battery,rain stopped play so I headed home..!

Rather a nice day again in Torry. A feature at the moment are the large numbers of auks in the harbour. Today there were dozens of Razorbills and Guillemots - as many as I've ever seen in the harbour, and right up to Victoria Bridge. I suspect this isn't really where the birds would like to be though and they're probably not in the best of shape.

There was quite a steady movement of Meadow Pipits, hirundines and Skylarks through the morning. A Wigeon was on Greyhope Bay. Offshore very little was moving but twelve Arctic Terns were feeding and an Arctic Skua was indulging the Kittiwakes in some playful banter. A Buzzard was around the waterworks and nearby I heard a Redpoll going over. Lots of Common (or I suppose Highland-type) Darters were on the wing, particularly at the pool by the football pitch.

Popped by the Ness early on this evening. Things were very quiet offshore, with a lone Bonxie being the best of it amongst the loafing Gannets and auks. Greyhope Bay held a posse of waders including 5 Purple Sandpipers, one which was colour ringed, a Barwit, a few Ringed Plovers and a few Turnstones. A single Sandwich Tern was amongst them.

Joseph

Had quite a good look round today in the very fine, if autumnal feeling, weather. It was kind of interesting, but perhaps without the 'biggy' that I'd have liked. Migrants were the big hope but very few were around. The only warbler was a Willow Warbler at the mound. Three Goldcrests were dotted about. There seem to be a lot of Coal Tits about at the moment - I saw at least eight today. Also at least five Long-tailed Tits on the railway embankment.

The sea was more interesting than expected, given the light winds and very clear conditions. Tantalising was a rather small looking skua going north a long way out. I really didn't get anything on it sadly. One Bonxie and two Manx Shearwaters were also going north, as were twenty Wigeon and seven Teal. The top duck action came from two Shelduck heading north just off the Coo. Patch mega. Nine Red-throated Divers went past and a rather good Great-northern Diver was on the sea not too far offshore. At least four Harbour Porpoises were slowly rippling through the water. Two Grey Herons were 'in off' from quite some distance out.

A few other bits: two Rooks south, a Grey Wagtail, a few small groups of Pink-footed Geese over, a Bar-tailed Godwit on the north shore and a Golden Plover on Greyhope Bay. A Redpoll (or possibly a couple) were again heard, this time around the Battery. Sounded quite deep. Also a Red Admiral. I bet there was something good kicking about somewhere but I didnt' find it today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back