• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID, Czech republic (1 Viewer)

I took this video on 3rd March 2018: https://vimeo.com/262673072

I believe it's not Chroicocephalus ridibundus because they were around too and these were bigger and their flight was different (they didn't wave their wings as frequently). I have a problem recognising Larus canus from L. cachinnans. Given to the voice and flight I think this one should be L. canus. There was hundreds of them and it is on a place where both species may occur (but I believe it was just one of them because they were all the same size). The river is quite close to a dump where also L. argentatus, L. fuscus, L. michahellis, L. marinus and L. tridactyla were seen but I thought it's too late for them (they are there during December and January).

Attachments

• DSC_0198_2.jpg
    DSC_0198_2.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 74
Nothing like L.canus which is considerably smaller, different structure + much darker mantle. One of the larger white headed gulls- I would go for L. cachinnans.

Thank you! If you know some book or web that could help me learn to recognise gulls, I would appreciate it a lot (currently I have Svensson's Collins Bird Guide Second edition). Also I found some pictures of some of the gulls in flight if that might help? But since there was hundreds of them in flocks I can't tell if they are all the same species.

Attachments

• DSC_0195_2.JPG
    DSC_0195_2.JPG
    320.6 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC_0176_2.JPG
    DSC_0176_2.JPG
    229.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0174_2.JPG
    DSC_0174_2.JPG
    278.2 KB · Views: 4
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back