• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (5 Viewers)

The Youth of Today

I think its been nearly 3 weeks since i posted, for no other reason than i have just been far too busy!!! However, i am seeing the light at the end of a very hectic tunnel!

Managed to spend a couple of hours at Rainton this afternoon, weather as follows:
Left the car in T Shirt in glorious sunshine
Stood at pool 1 in T shirt in strong winds, chilly but still sunshine....
Halfway around in T shirt in strong winds, cold, Sun gone in, drizzle..........
Back to carpark and as the wind stopped sun came out...typical!

Anyway, Garden Warbler and Whitethroat with beaks full of grubs, within 5 meters of each other on bushtop presumably going to feed young. Willow tit feeding several noisy fledglings.

Great views of a pair of Reed Warblers on pool 1, i could have put my arm out and touched one of them!! Little Grebe with two young, Coot with young, Mallard with young, Kestrel with 2 young. Plenty of Swift, House and Sand Martins skimming over and around the pool. A Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler were heard singing from yon side of pool.

Moving onto pool 2, I know waders can stand on one leg, however a Redshank appeared to have just the one leg as it hopped along the shoreline for several minutes, and just as it began to have my sympathy it decided to drop leg No.2 and carried on two leggedly(if thats a word?) Another Little Grebe feeding fish to its young. A couple of Shelduck, Swans with Young(ill come back to this badboy) 40+ Canada Geese, Moorhen with young.

As i was about to leave the hide my eyes were drawn to 20ish Canada Geese looking away from the pool, necks upright, obviously on alert. As i scanned along with my scope i was witness to a horrific assault by the male Mute Swan on a Greylag! The Swan was relentless as it stood on, pecked at, bit, squashed the poor Goose to what i think is to within an inch of its life! i watched after the Swan had left it for about 20 minutes and im no expert on this, but id be surprised if the goose makes it... I have seen Swans chase off other birds before, which i suppose is fair enough, however, never seen anything like this before!!

Can anyone go to hetton bogs if so can someone give directions on how to find it plz..thanks

Hi Viv
The Bogs are open to anyone, if you take the A183 from Chester le Street to Sunderland then at Houghton Gate turn right onto the A1052 then keep on this road till you reach the signs for Rainton Meadows Nature reserve,go over the next two Roundabouts, at the third roundabout just after going under A690. Go straight over this roundabout (Hetton Le Hole/ Murton).
This is North Road at the bus stop on your left is the entrance to the Bogs (Parking can be found off road or at the houses opposite) follow the footpath for 100yds until you see a path to the right walk 80yds over the rise and you will find the feeding station.
Hope these are of help, no doubt someone may be able to provide an alternative ie JBee who oversees this area. Good hunting

Last edited:
I had a ride through to Barnard Castle this morning. I've only visited a few times this year since following a steady decline in summer migrants over the last few years this year has been the poorest I've ever known. In the areas I usually visit - no Wood Warbler, no Redstart, just two Pied Flycatchers, three pairs of Garden Warbler which is about average though Spotted Flycatcher appear unaffected with plenty around, likewise Blackcap, Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff.

Deepdale held quite a few birds with several species busily collecting food for young. The area between the entrance gate and repaired bank of the beck 50yds on easily held 50+ birds comprising - Blue Tit 8+, Great Tit 5+, Garden Warbler x2, Bullfinch 8+, Spotted Flycatcher x5, Willow Warbler x2, Chaffinch x6, Blackcap x3, Dunnock x2, Great Spotted Woodpecker x2, Robin x3, Blackbird x5, Song Thrush x2, Wren x3, Pied Wagtail x2, Grey Wagtail x3.

Other Willow Warbler and at least one Chiffchaff were calling but not seen.

Carrying on along the path another 40yds to the first clearing a Jay was sat on the log pile to the left. Several Blackcap were feeding in the blackthorn bushes on the right plus several Blackbird and a small flock of Long-tailed Tit.

The clearing on the right immediately after the blackthorn held a pair of Garden Warbler collecting food in the sycamore trees behind. Also a pair of Blackcap and a Wren pair. A Pied Flycatcher was calling from somewhere behind the blackthorn bushes. No sign of one around the nest boxes on the other side of the stream.

Following the path as far as the ford the number of birds petered out though several more Bullfinch and Blackcap were around another area of blackthorn. Crow, Magpie and a Kestrel were by one of the clearing.

Not a great deal around by Kinninvie - Stonechat, Wheatear with young, Mistle Thrush, House Martin and Swallow.

Photos: 1. Blue Tit - 2. Grey Wagtail - 3.&4. Spotted Flycatcher - 5. Wheatear juvenile.

Attachments

• IMG_8355ao.JPG
    IMG_8355ao.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_8204bo.JPG
    IMG_8204bo.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_8183ao.JPG
    IMG_8183ao.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_8169ao.JPG
    IMG_8169ao.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_8038ao.JPG
    IMG_8038ao.JPG
    218.4 KB · Views: 75
Washington WWT this morning;
Grey Heron as IanF has already mentioned not as many around now though still juveniles calling from the trees above Wader Lake
Teal a pair asleep at East end of Wader Lake
Kestrel hunting the top meadow
Coot with young on the reservoir
Oystercatcher still two pair but only one well developed juvenile seen
Avocet no sign of the third adult but still two others with their two chicks
Little Ringed Plover a pair with at least two very recently hatched chicks :t: the first time this species has attempted breeding here, lets hope they make it through the first few vulnerable weeks
Lesser Black-backed Gull a pair patrolling the River Wear
Common Tern adults very busy ferrying food back to Wader Lake Island which is literally crawling with young
Great-spotted Woodpecker juvenile at the feeding station
Mistle Thrush fly over
Sedge Warbler half-heartedly singing near the reedbed picnic shelter
Whitethroat & Blackcap family parties of both species along the river footpath
Chiffchaff at least five individuals still singing
Carrion Crow two birds seem to have 'discovered' the feeding station

other species seen included Greylag Geese, Canada Geese (with young), Shelduck, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Pheasant, Moorhen, Lapwing (with young), Redshank, Black-headed Gull, Woodpigeon, Swift, Swallow, Sand Martin, Pied Wagtail (with young), Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Willow Warbler, Great Tit, Magpie, Chaffinch & Bullfinch.

Last edited:
Castle Lake

great afternoon for ducks

3F Shoveller 1 with very recent brood of 11 & possibly a second, similarly aged brood of 9?
brood of 4 Tufted Ducklings
Shelduck pair (plus an immature adult) with a brood of 9
at least 6 Gadwall broods (11,7,5,5tiny,3 & 2) @30 adults in area.
4+ Mallard broods
others included 4Teal, pr Pochard, 2MRuddy, 1GCGrebe, several Mute Swans, pr Canadas with young.
An unseasonal drake Wigeon was nearby.
egged on by an ever keen as mustard bustard species, we managed to see single Common Sandpiper, Wheateater(poss 2?), & Yellow Wagtail
Hirundine no's built to @400 in total as the rain progressed, with all 3 sps perched on wire fencing. Approx 160 Swifts in the general area. We waited & waited again, but not a sniff of a Hobby...not even a Kes or a Spar for that matter
Little Ringed Plovers played hide & seek for a while, but when we got our collective eye in, could see at least 7 adults; inc a pair mating.
Otherwise, very few breeding waders - a pair of Oystercatcher & small group of post breeding Lapwings, no Redshanks nor Ringed Plover. Of interest though, were 3 Common Snipe - 1 of which appeared to be a fully grown juv... maybe bred on site...?

Interestingly an additional LRP left the site & traveled a good way off to the North West, as we were leaving (it / another) came in from the same flight line. (possibly in the big quarry at West Cornforth ?)

S. / gb

Attachments

• DBC logo avatar 80 80.jpg
    DBC logo avatar 80 80.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:
I had a ride through to Barnard Castle this morning. I've only visited a few times this year since following a steady decline in summer migrants over the last few years this year has been the poorest I've ever known. In the areas I usually visit - no Wood Warbler, no Redstart, just two Pied Flycatchers, three pairs of Garden Warbler which is about average though Spotted Flycatcher appear unaffected with plenty around, likewise Blackcap, Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff.........

thats worrying Ian.
I was up in woodland nr Lartington with DC,CW & JWa last week & we struggled to locate the summer Oak wood speciailties (breeze didnt help).
3prs of Spotted Flys in parts of one wood were scant consolation. Redstart & Pied Fly are known to have been in that wood this season but we only managed one of the former... wonder if they are coming straight in & getting the nesting business done & dusted asap & heading up into the canopy before the rains arrive in June ? ;)

Last edited:

3F Shoveller 1 with very recent brood of 11 & possibly a second, similarly aged brood of 9?
4+ Mallard broods
others included 4Teal, pr Pochard, 2MRuddy, 1GCGrebe, several Mute Swans, pr Canadas with young.
egged on by an ever keen as mustard bustard species, we managed to see single Common Sandpiper, Wheateater(poss 2?), & Yellow Wagtail
Hirundine no's built to @400 in total as the rain progressed, with all 3 sps perched on wire fencing. Approx 160 Swifts in the general area. We waited & waited again, but not a sniff of a Hobby...not even a Kes or a Spar for that matter
Little Ringed Plovers played hide & seek for a while, but when we got our collective eye in, could see at least 7 adults; inc a pair mating.
Otherwise, very few breeding waders - a pair of Oystercatcher & small group of post breeding Lapwings, no Redshanks nor Ringed Plover. Of interest though, were 3 Common Snipe - 1 of which appeared to be a fully grown juv... maybe bred on site...?

Interestingly an additional LRP left the site & traveled a good way off to the North West, as we were leaving (it / another) came in from the same flight line. (possibly in the big quarry at West Cornforth ?)

S. / gb

You forgot the Goldfinch :t:

and Stock Dove
yes,
4 Stock Dove at Pool 2 RM's, also Redshank pair with 2 mobile fledged young & another pair of LRP.
A LRP couple which hatched young close by are thought to have lost their chicks to a marauding Little Owl, whereas an additional ex-industrial site currently has a pair with 2 healthy young.

Good to get out & catch up m8 - ps. my gear is still on the radiators.

yes,
4 Stock Dove at Pool 2 RM's, also Redshank pair with 2 mobile fledged young & another pair of LRP.
A LRP couple which hatched young close by are thought to have lost their chicks to a marauding Little Owl, whereas an additional ex-industrial site currently has a pair with 2 healthy young.

Good to get out & catch up m8 - ps. my gear is still on the radiators.

Thanks for the info on LRP, as disappointing as it is about the 1st pair. Hopefully the "lerrrve making" which had you excited ;) may provide some younglings at BM.

I concur, a change is as good as a rest and i feel more motivated to start being out and about again but.... as i write this its starting to persist down with strong winds!!! Now im not saying im a fair weather birder, however there is only so much a man can take in one weekend!!! Might try later

PS.... IAM still on the radiators!! :storm:

PSS... I have PM'd you Derek (OOER!)

Last edited:
is there a spot in durham to see turtle dove? Never seen one in ne, and would like to change that.

one isolated location has birds each year. visited last week & heard a brief snatch of song, but sadly no show.
you've probably got as much chance (slim though it may be) of happening upon a coastal migrant.......

Others pop up from time to time in the SW Sunderland / Houghton area, where they are just about clinging on to their "annual visitor" status.
I jammed in on one close to Tunstall Hills at the end of May.:t:

Ducks galore!

4+ Mallard broods

S. / gb

Where exactly is this 'Castle Lake' please - it sounds like a place for me to visit some time - is it near either the A1, A19 or A1231?

Strange swallow at Waskerley

I wonder if anyone can help?

We were a Waskerley Reservoir yesterday - loads of birds, lots of water (mainly falling vertically!). But before the weather got too bad we were watching the swallows and one stood out from the crowd. It was distinctly red breasted. Both my wife and I watched it for 10-20 seconds out of the car windscreen. At first we both said Red-rumped but then after examining the Bird Guide we realised we had not been seeing it's rump we had been seeing its chest as it climbed over the trees. Unfortunately we did not relocate it as the weather was by then awful and photographs were impossible.

The Bird Guide seemed to suggest either Mediterranean or Egyptian - is that possible or can the young show this sort of colouring?

Has anyone else been up that way recently and seen anything similar?

Where exactly is this 'Castle Lake' please - it sounds like a place for me to visit some time - is it near either the A1, A19 or A1231?

Castle Lake is at Bishop Middleham near Sedgefield. You can get there via either the A19 or A1 (junc 60) onto the A689 from which at Sedgefield you take the A177 northwards for a couple of miles - here's a Multimap link - Bishop Middleham/Castle Lake - the lake doesn't appear on some maps but selecting the aerial view shows it quite well south of the village. Best access is to park where Foumarts Lane meets Church Street and walk along the farm track which is a public right of way. You'll find several information boards covering access and wildlife. Some of the area is 'open access' but there is no access to the lakeside at all.

A pair of Peregrines were showing well at a site in SE region this morning.

On the coast it was wild and windy. At Seaton Snook/Zinc Works Road - Dunlin c.12, Ringed Plover c.20, Redshank x2, Little Tern x3, Linnet, Meadow Pipit, Pied Wagtail, Skylark, Shelduck, Song Thrush, Starling 50+, Grey Partridge x2. I only got as far as the dunes and beach.

Greatham Creek - Avocet x12 comprising five adults and seven chicks, Little Ring Plover x2, Common Tern 20+, Grey Heron x1, Little Egret x1, Oystercatcher x2.

Photos: 1-3. Peregrine Falcon - 4. Linnet juvenile - 5. Starling

Attachments

• IMG_8655ao.JPG
    IMG_8655ao.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_8681co.JPG
    IMG_8681co.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_8746bo.JPG
    IMG_8746bo.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_8843ao.JPG
    IMG_8843ao.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8951ao.JPG
    IMG_8951ao.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 58
RE : TURTLE DOVES IN DURHAM

[Following on from Stevie Evans post, I've spent around 13 hours at that site over 3 visits in the last couple of weeks. I only heard calls a few brief times on one visit and managed to see one bird from some distance away for about a minute, when it briefly alighted at the top of a tree.

I would agree that you've probably as much chance with a migrant as you have there.

John Cooper

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back