• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (4 Viewers)

saw the two cuckoos this morning,is it usual for them to interact so readilly with birds whose nests they parasite?also saw 2 summer plumaged knot on south gare

saw the two cuckoos this morning,is it usual for them to interact so readilly with birds whose nests they parasite?also saw 2 summer plumaged knot on south gare

Puzzles me as well. I did wonder if the mipits recognised the shape as possibly previous chicks they've fed. They only agression I saw this afternoon was from the Cuckoo's when mipit landed too close and it seemed to snack/hiss at it.

Checked out some local Peregrines again this morning. Three fully fledged juveniles and two adults. Pair of Kestrel as well.

Zinc Works Road - 9:30am - two Cuckoo still present though one at north end behind dunes towards North Gare access track and the other still hanging around migrant bushes. Very little on Seaton Snook - Common Tern x5, Guillemot, Oystercatcher x3, Cormorant x2.

Greatham Creek - 10:30am - Avocet x10 (3 adult 7 juvenile) all very active. Oldest family flying between Tidal Pool and Greenabella where eventually settled. Other family flying around Tidal Pool but eventually flew off towards Long Drag pools.

Attachments

• IMG_6294ao.JPG
    IMG_6294ao.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6307ao.JPG
    IMG_6307ao.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_6556ao.JPG
    IMG_6556ao.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6568ao.JPG
    IMG_6568ao.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_6401co.JPG
    IMG_6401co.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 78
By late morning there were three juv Cuckoo's present along the bridleway fence. Two staying close together (North Gare end) whereas the third was staying closer to Zinc Works Road.

Quick circuit of Smiddy Shaw Reservior resulted in a pair of juvenile red grouse, pied wagtail, lapwing, and this fellow (see attached) looking at my book it looks like a Golden Plover, a very attractive bird and a result for me as i have never seen one of these before :t:

Last edited:
Quick circuit of Smiddy Shaw Reservior resulted in a pair of juvenile red grouse, pied wagtail, lapwing, and this fellow (see attached) looking at my book it looks like a Golden Plover, a very attractive bird and a result for me as i have never seen one of these before :t:
Yes you are right its a Golden Plover if you want to see big numbers of them go down to Whitburn steel in a few weeks time or St Mary's Island you get them on the rocks at low tide.Certainly a sight worth seeing when they all take off.

Yes you are right its a Golden Plover if you want to see big numbers of them go down to Whitburn steel in a few weeks time or St Mary's Island you get them on the rocks at low tide.Certainly a sight worth seeing when they all take off.

Thanks Rokermartin - out of interest just how close can you get to them at Whitburn? This one was a bit skittish, i had to take the picture from inside the car and as i slowly idled up it kept walking further and further away.

Can you also please advise where Whitburn Steel is? Is it anywhere near the carpark beside Lattimers wet Fish Shop??

Thanks Rokermartin - out of interest just how close can you get to them at Whitburn? This one was a bit skittish, i had to take the picture from inside the car and as i slowly idled up it kept walking further and further away.
Can you also please advise where Whitburn Steel is? Is it anywhere near the carpark beside Lattimers wet Fish Shop??

Derek, several types of Plovers use the "walking further & further away...." as a distraction tactic.
They use this clever ploy, as a means of drawing / distracting the intruding person / thing away from their young.
I presume you want to know how close you can get to them at Whitburn for photography purposes ? Large roosting / loafing flocks generally keep some distance away - centres of fields etc & will "flush up" very easily....
Imho best bet for pictures would probably be to watch for feeding birds (over next few months) on recently cultivated arable land - they're more likely to come close to the field edges as they feed especially if you use the car as a hide.
cheers
SE

Last edited:
Derek, several types of Plovers use the "walking further & further away...." as a distraction tactic.
They use this clever ploy, as a means of drawing / distracting the intruding person / thing away from their young.
I presume you want to know how close you can get to them at Whitburn for photography purposes ? Large roosting / loafing flocks generally keep some distance away - centres of fields etc & will "flush up" very easily....
Imho best bet for pictures would probably be to watch for feeding birds (over next few months) on recently cultivated arable land - they're more likely to come close especially if you use the car as a hide.
cheers
SE

Steve,
Thanks for that.. I'll keep an eye out for ploughed fields over the next few weeks - but i'll have the camera and binoculars at the ready next time. I would have had a much better shot here if i'd been ready with window down bean bag placed, etc, because by the time i got myself sorted the Plover had walked 40 feet or more away :-(

Hi Whitburn Steel is right next to Lattimers wet fish shop.You cannot really get very close to the plovers it's best using a scope when they are on the rocks.High tide they are usually seen in the fields next to the army rifle range you often get better views of them in the fields.Also they get in the large field opposite the Whitburn Lodge Pub.

Last edited:
Seaton Snook this morning. I was surprised at the number of people around this morning which probably accounts for the lack of birds on the beach. I didn't arrive until around 11:00am.

Very few waders around with just Oystercatcher x3 on the Snook. No Terns on the beach though a slow trickle of Common Tern travelling backwards and forwards. A single Guillemot and two Cormorant in Seaton Channel.

No Cuckoo found today. Plenty of Meadow Pipit, Skylark, Linnet and Starlings along the fences. Goldfinch c.12 and Stonechat x2 along the grass verges of Zinc Works Road.

Over Seaton Common - Lapwing c.400 and Starling c.400 plus a few Curlew - all in the air. I couldn't see the cause until a juvenile Peregrine swooped low over the dunes before heading back west. Last seen over the tip heading along Brenda Road. They bred on the power station last year though I've not seen them here since Spring.

Also Kestrel x2 on the Common with around a dozen each of Swallow, Swift and Sand Martin plus two House Martin.

Photos: 1.& 2. Sand Martin - 3-5. Peregrine Falcon juvenile.

Attachments

• IMG_6597aao.JPG
    IMG_6597aao.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_6599co.JPG
    IMG_6599co.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_6630ao.JPG
    IMG_6630ao.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_6635ao.JPG
    IMG_6635ao.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_6636ao.JPG
    IMG_6636ao.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 79
Hardwick Hall Country Park this afternoon - not overly sunny but plenty of dragonflies about - Black-tailed Skimmer 20+, Common Darter x8 and quite a few Common Blue Damselfly and Blue-tailed Damselfly.

Butterflies - Small Tortoiseshell, Common Blue, Meadow Brown, Speckled Wood, Red Admiral, Large Skipper.

Birds on the lake - Great Crested Grebe pair with two juveniles, Ruddy Duck x1 drake - obviously just stopped off for a rest as after an hour it moved on, Coot, Moorhen, Mallard, Little Grebe and Mute Swan x3 families with 11 cygnets in total. Grey Wagtail x1.

In the woods - Sparrowhawk juv. x2, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Wren.

Around a dozen each of Swallow, Swift, House Martin and Sand Martin constantly overhead.

On route there Buzzard x1 over the wood on the north east sde of A689/Caste Eden Walkway. It was heading east following the road/line of the wood.

Photos: 1. Swift - 2. House Martin - 3. Grey Wagtail - 4. Black-tailed Skimmer - 5. Common Darter

Attachments

• IMG_7074ao.JPG
    IMG_7074ao.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_7046ao.JPG
    IMG_7046ao.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_6964ao.JPG
    IMG_6964ao.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_6682ao.JPG
    IMG_6682ao.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_6842ao.JPG
    IMG_6842ao.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 75
Hi Whitburn Steel is right next to Lattimers wet fish shop.You cannot really get very close to the plovers it's best using a scope when they are on the rocks.High tide they are usually seen in the fields next to the army rifle range you often get better views of them in the fields.Also they get in the large field opposite the Whitburn Lodge Pub.

Thanks for the info :t:

Had a walk up the old railway line in the Derwent Valley yesterday. Superb walk with chiffchaff singing, 2 red kites above the viaduct, perched kingfisher at the far pastures - and thanks to the two local birders who were there, they were very helpful. Jay and nuthatch at Thornley Wood and sand martins as well. All good ticks for the visiting birder. I really must do this walk in April or May when stuff is singing - need to be better organised next year!!

Hartlepool Headland by Heugh Pier yesterday afternoon over high tide - Razorbill x2 with young, Guillemot x7, Common Tern x7.

Zinc Works Road c.3:00pm - Kingfisher sat on the branch over beck which runs perpendicular to the road.

Also Kestrel and Heron along the fence line. No sign of the Perergine today though the Lapwing c.80 were pretty flighty whenever the Kestrel landed on the fence!

Attachments

• IMG_7125ao.JPG
    IMG_7125ao.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_7154ao.JPG
    IMG_7154ao.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_7159ao.JPG
    IMG_7159ao.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7174ao.JPG
    IMG_7174ao.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_7187ao.JPG
    IMG_7187ao.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 79
A brief visit to Zinc Works Road this morning - brief due to the heavy rain that arrived!

Cuckoo juvenile along the north side fence behind the dunes, Kestrel x2, Goldfinch x7, Meadow Pipit 12+, Stonechat pair, Grey Partridge x2, Kingfisher x1, Grey Heron x1, Lapwing 40+, Curlew x8, Linnet c.12, Redshank x2, Canada Goose x7. Common Tern 12+ passing overhead on food runs.

Not a lot to go on but narrow wings like a gull - maybe Peregrine or even Hobby though even a Kestrel can look similar in bad light!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back