• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (5 Viewers)

Low Barns

Spent morning at Low Barns - long time since I have been here and pleased to say it was better than my last few times.
Saw at 6 heron, GS woodpecker, Green Woodpecker, Nuthatch, Kingfisher on the river, 4 goosanders swimming together, disturbed a dipper before i saw it, .garden warbler, willow warbler, bullfinch, jay.
It is getting overgrown near the hides and could probably do with a trim, but seems to be neglected. Shame they didnt neglect the tree felling in the spring when birds should have been nesting.

Attachments

• Heron5web.jpg
    Heron5web.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Goosander2web.jpg
    Goosander2web.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Green-WoodpeckerwWeb.jpg
    Green-WoodpeckerwWeb.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 76
  • green-woodpecker2web.jpg
    green-woodpecker2web.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 91
Spent morning at Low Barns - long time since I have been here and pleased to say it was better than my last few times.
Saw at 6 heron, GS woodpecker, Green Woodpecker, Nuthatch, Kingfisher on the river, 4 goosanders swimming together, disturbed a dipper before i saw it, .garden warbler, willow warbler, bullfinch, jay.
It is getting overgrown near the hides and could probably do with a trim, but seems to be neglected. Shame they didnt neglect the tree felling in the spring when birds should have been nesting.

I totally agree with your last comment.When I signed up to the Durham Wildlife Trust at £5 a month I thought I was helping towards a knowledgeable worthwhile orginisation which would be helping to look after my local wildlife and give me an area which I could enjoy photographing wild birds and animals.The feeding station hide/fence has blown down and they have said they don`t have enough money to replace it and like you said they start tree felling in spring.These are the so called experts.

Graham

Cowpen Bewley

Visited Cowpen Bewley specifically to see the Little Owls - many thanks to IanF for the detailed instructions, and nice to see you there this morning - had a feeling you would be there.
Saw 2 sat next to each other about 70 yards away then walked up the path a bit and saw 2 sat on fenceposts behind the hedge before the flew into the nearest tree. Then Ian pointed out another sat in a tree playing hide n seek while Ian and myself took pics. A great morning and very pleased to see them.
I then went to Blackhall beach - family of stonechats there, again. Flock of 25 linnets, goldfinch all over the place. I counted 15 Great Crested Grebe in the sea just off Blackhall Beach. Scoped 5 gannets way out to sea.
Cheers

Attachments

• Little-Owlsweb.jpg
    Little-Owlsweb.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Little-owl13web.jpg
    Little-owl13web.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Stonechatweb.jpg
    Stonechatweb.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 75
Hurworth Burn Reservoir this morning - plenty of birds along the cycleway to the top of the reservoir - Yellowhammer, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Wren, Linnet, Goldfinch, Dunnock, Chaffinch, Bullfinch and a pair of Sedge Warbler still collecting food for nestlings. Also quite a lot of Greenfinch which was good to see. Kestrel, Swallow, Swift, House Martin and Sand Martin in flight.

Reservoir - Greylag Goose c.300, Canada Goose c.30 plus several Canada x Greylag hybrids, Mute Swan x4, Great Crested Grebe c.12 one pair with three juveniles still being carried on it's back, Little Grebe, Common Sandpiper, Redhsank, Coot, Moorhen, Cormorant, Pochard, Tufted Duck. Lapwing c.60.

Newburn at Hartlepool this evening - Mediterranean Gull x2 still present plus Ringed Plover c.20, Turnstone x8.

Photos: 1. Willow Warbler - 2. Sedge Warbler - 3. Great Crested Grebe family - 4.&5. Med. Gull

Attachments

• IMG_3748ao.JPG
    IMG_3748ao.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3980ao.JPG
    IMG_3980ao.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4060ao.JPG
    IMG_4060ao.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4336ao.JPG
    IMG_4336ao.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4279ao.JPG
    IMG_4279ao.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 69
Great Crested Grebe Family

What a lovely shot of this family, Ian. We think they're one of the most interesting birds to watch. A pair used to breed on the Whittledene Reservoir, on the Military road............ their courtship displays are so enchanting!!

Hurworth Burn Reservoir this morning - plenty of birds along the cycleway to the top of the reservoir - Yellowhammer, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Wren, Linnet, Goldfinch, Dunnock, Chaffinch, Bullfinch and a pair of Sedge Warbler still collecting food for nestlings. Also quite a lot of Greenfinch whichc was good to see. Kestrel, Swallow, Swift, House Martin and Sand Martin in flight.

Reservoir - Greylag Goose c.300, Canada Goose c.30 plus several Canada x Greylag hybrids, Mute Swan x4, Great Crested Grebe c.12 one pair with three juveniles still being carried on it's back, Little Grebe, Common Sandpiper, Redhsank, Coot, Moorhen, Cormorant, Pochard, Tufted Duck. Lapwing c.60.

Newburn at Hartlepool this evening - Mediterranean Gull x2 still present plus Ringed Plover c.20, Turnstone x8.

Photos: 1. Willow Warbler - 2. Sedge Warbler - 3. Great Crested Grebe family - 4.&5. Med. Gull

Went in search of the Marbled White Butterfly yesterday at Wingate quary in the company of JBee.
We weren't dissapointed and saw a total of at least 4, apparently the latest record of these being here was the 4th August, according to the warden, so I suppose we've been lucky to see them on the 5th.
My first photo's of this species :t:.
Also a first for me was a view of a Green Woodpecker as it flew over and landed on one of the mounds for a short time, to far away for the macro lens :C.

Good day had :t:, until the dreaded rain stopped play :C.

Attachments

• _MG_7927.jpg
    _MG_7927.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 59
  • _MG_7920.jpg
    _MG_7920.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 63
  • _MG_7913.jpg
    _MG_7913.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 60
  • _MG_7788.jpg
    _MG_7788.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 59
  • _MG_7882.jpg
    _MG_7882.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 63
Hi Scuzz.
It was nice to meet you on Jaybees' local patch on Monday:t:.
I'm surprised you didn't spook all the marbled whites as you aproached ;) :-O.

Hi Scuzz.
It was nice to meet you on Jaybees' local patch on Monday:t:.
I'm surprised you didn't spook all the marbled whites as you aproached ;) :-O.

Nice meeting you too, I went into stealth mode when approaching the M. Whites, or maybe they were deaf and blind :-O.
Even the slugs were trying to crawl away;):-O.

Just stumbled upon hurworth burn res today and was wondering if anyone had any info they could share such as best vantage points or a hide and what species i could expect to see there.i parked in the car park and followed the footpath to a gap in the trees but didn't go all way round as the rain was getting a little heavy to say the least.

Just stumbled upon hurworth burn res today and was wondering if anyone had any info they could share such as best vantage points or a hide and what species i could expect to see there.i parked in the car park and followed the footpath to a gap in the trees but didn't go all way round as the rain was getting a little heavy to say the least.

No hide I'm afraid. There's a pleasant circular walk around the reservoir that I usually do. Park in the car park and follow the cycleway north. You get good views over the reservoir albiet quite distant until you reach the top end of the reservoir. Where the path from the car park meets the cycleway there's a couple of benches and views over a small bay which can be good for birds though really birds can be anywhere around the reservoir.

There's usually a good head of birds around and it's always been a place where just about anything can turn up.

At the top end still on the cycleway there are benches and picnic tables giving good views over the reservoir to the left and an arm to the right which is where geese usually hold up though they can be anywhere around the reservoir. Also there's Great Crested Grebe with three young at present. Just before the picnic table on the right a pair of Sedge Warbler were still feeding nestlings earlier in the week which seem very late. Just after the picnic table there's a bench a few yards down the embankment which gives good views over the arm.

Carry on along the cycleway another hundred yards or so past the reservoir and you'll see a footpath on the left that doubles back over towards the reservoir. The actual path then goes along the farm track between two hedges and brings you out at a footbridge over the arm of the reservoir itself. Waders and Kingfisher are often along the sides/ends of the footbridge.

Once across the bridge follow the farm track back to the main road. You can cross a stile into the field and walk back down the grassy bank of the reservoir though really it's there as access fishermen as there's no actual path.

You then have to walk the 200yds along the road back to the car park - just be careful where it crosses the outflow as the road is narrow. The ouflow sometimes holds Kingfisher, Grey Wagtail and Sand Martin nest in the stone cracks.

There's also a winter feeding station on the old station platform near the car park that's been set up by one of the local bird watchers but it will likely be Novmeber before it's in action again.

Cheers for the info Ian i'll have to give it a go.I might take my pop up hide and give it a whirl as i've had it a few months now and not used it yet.

Cheers for the info Ian i'll have to give it a go.I might take my pop up hide and give it a whirl as i've had it a few months now and not used it yet.

Called in there this morning - loads of birds on the water - probably because the fishermen were on the banks ;)

A Sparrowhawk was sat on the Kestrel box by the car park when I arrived.

Pochard c12, Tufted Duck c.20, Great Crested Grebe c.12, Coromorant c.30, Mute Swan x2, Greylag Goose c.40, Canada Goose c.12, Redshank, Mallard, Coot, Moorhen, Lapwing c.30.

No sign of Sedge Warbler today but in the bushes - Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Willow Warbler, Yellowahmmer, Tree Sparrow, Chaffinch, Bullfinch.

Overhead - Swift, Swallow, House Martin, Sand Martin and Kestrel.

Not really an ideal place to take the hide as along the cycleway they're used to people walking and cycling by. On the reservoir they're used to fishermen with brollies and windbreaks but they still steer clear of them.

Crimdon Dene - am - Red-throated Diver x2 100yds offshore, Ringed Plover, Turnstone, Linnet flock c.80, Yellowhammer x1, Curlew, Cormorant, Oystercatch 20+, Common Tern x2 Little Tern - lots!

Newburn Bridge - now three Med Gull.

Greatham Creek - roadside pool Little Egret x3

Photos: 1.& 2. Little Tern adult - 3. Little Tern juvenile - 4. Turnstone - 5. Ringed Plover

Attachments

• IMG_5162bo.JPG
    IMG_5162bo.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5046ao.JPG
    IMG_5046ao.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4971ao.JPG
    IMG_4971ao.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5036ao.JPG
    IMG_5036ao.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5021ao.JPG
    IMG_5021ao.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 65
Had a look down to the Tees Marshes this evening. Very disappointing compared to last week - not sure if they've moved on, due to the strong winds or earlier disturbance being a Sunday.

Calor Gas Pool - Green Sandpiper x1, Greenshank x1.

Back Saltholme nothing of particular note that I could see. Plenty of Lapwing, Tufted Duck, Gadwall, Cormorant and Common Tern. A potential Hobby which turned out to be a Kestrel!

Greatham Creek - Little Egret x1, Whimbrel x2, Redshank c.12, Shelduck x3, Dunlin x9. Several Swallow, House Martin and Swift.

Grayling butterfly by side of first pipe bridge in amongst the Meadow Brown.

Photos: 1. Whimbrel - 2. Shelduck 3. Grayling - 4. & 5. Little Egret

Attachments

• IMG_5210ao.JPG
    IMG_5210ao.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5273ao.JPG
    IMG_5273ao.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5317ao.JPG
    IMG_5317ao.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_5624ao.JPG
    IMG_5624ao.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5560ao.JPG
    IMG_5560ao.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 59
A look around this morning with nkgray from South Africa over here on holiday but originally from this area. 55 species seen. Highlights were -

Back Saltholme - am - Little Egret x12, Greenshank x1, Spotted Redshank, Green Sandpiper x2, Little Ringed Plover x1.

Dorman's Pool - Ruff x1, Little Gull x12, Water Rail x1, Little Ringed Plover x1, Ringed Plover x1, Black-tailed Godwit x2.

Newburn Bridge - Med Gull x1, Sanderling x24, Ringed Plover x26, Turnstone x18, Oystercatcher x22.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back