• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon p900 images. (1 Viewer)

TY...I won't probably use any amount of zoom that requires a tripod so I didn't want to carry around a larger camera than I would get benefit from. It is good to hear that the image stabilization allows you to take so many good pics, handheld!

I have a Nikon B700 and i was thinking of upgrading to a better camera. Mine is o.k. But it is slow on focusing and isn't always gonna get you that capture. How fast does this one focus please? Is it worth it?

Hi Daniel,
I've never had a problem with the focusing on the p900.....i always use mine on small area focusing and the camera locks on in most cases.If you look at the water rail picture above,this was taken at a decent distance in a heavily reeded area and using small area focusing it had no problem.
It will never be as good as an slr but it works well once you get used to it.

Hello,

I've had this camera for the last 2 years and still struggle to understand it with regards the optimum settings, I've just been using the bird-watching mode, it's ok but I would love to be able to go deeper into it.

Has anyone narrowed down the optimum settings for wildlife photos?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Hi bud,
For the photos i took above i use aperture priority and f6.3 exclusively......iso at a maximum of 800 although i try to use no more than iso 400 if possible.I also use a monopod a lot and get as close to my subject as i can.
Also,it helps a lot with this camera if you turn off the noise reduction feature in the settings.
Using program modes such as bird mode is ok but for the best quality images you need to take a bit of control back.

Hi bud,
For the photos i took above i use aperture priority and f6.3 exclusively......iso at a maximum of 800 although i try to use no more than iso 400 if possible.I also use a monopod a lot and get as close to my subject as i can.
Also,it helps a lot with this camera if you turn off the noise reduction feature in the settings.
Using program modes such as bird mode is ok but for the best quality images you need to take a bit of control back.

Thanks Neil. Have you made any changes in the Picture Control menu. I assume Standard, but what about Image Sharpening, Contrast and Saturation. Have you left these on zero?
Thanks.

Hi again,
It is best to experiment with these settings and make your own mind up,particularly with the sharpening setting.What i did was use a page ftom a magazine ......set the camera up at a fixed distance and set the zoom so you can clearly see the text on the page of the magazine.
Then,take a series of images ftom 0 sharpening up to the maximum setting...you can then compare the results by looking at the quality in each photo....i think you will be surprised at the results.
Saturation and contrast i have left at 0 and i do shoot in standard mode but sharpening i have turned down to the lowest setting......to me,after doing my tests,it seems like the sharpening actually makes an image less sharp the more you dial in.

Last edited:
Hi again,
It is best to experiment with these settings and make your own mind up,particularly with the sharpening setting.What i did was use a page ftom a magazine ......set the camera up at a fixed distance and set the zoom so you can clearly see the text on the page of the magazine.
Then,take a series of images ftom 0 sharpening up to the maximum setting...you can then compare the results by looking at the quality in each photo....i think you will be surprised at the results.
Saturation and contrast i have left at 0 and i do shoot in standard mode but sharpening i have turned down to the lowest setting......to me,after doing my tests,it seems like the sharpening actually makes an image less sharp the more you dial in.

Thanks Neil. Good to know.

Excellent pictures. I just ordered one because my Nikon B700 has been acting up. I just read somewhere that this camera doesn't have crop feature is that true?

I'm going to say it works better in not so bright conditions, my bird feathers seem more detail, however about the same as my last Camera the b700 Nikon Coolpix in bright light.

I replaced my trusty SX50 with a P900 three weeks ago and today was the first chance I've had to really try it out. I am well impressed with the results.
I think the SX50's AF would have really struggled with the Reed Warbler.

Attachments

• Reed Warbler, East Chev 1.jpg
    Reed Warbler, East Chev 1.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 109
  • Reed Warbler, East Chev 3.jpg
    Reed Warbler, East Chev 3.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 180
  • Reed Warbler, East Chev 4.jpg
    Reed Warbler, East Chev 4.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 97
  • Reed Bunting, East Chev 2.jpg
    Reed Bunting, East Chev 2.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 93
  • Roseate Tern, East Chev 3.jpg
    Roseate Tern, East Chev 3.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 98
I replaced my trusty SX50 with a P900 three weeks ago and today was the first chance I've had to really try it out. I am well impressed with the results.
I think the SX50's AF would have really struggled with the Reed Warbler.

Proof of what the P900 can do in knowledgable hands

Amazing camera in my opinion, camera technology has come along way. Here are some images I took.
Unfortunately I have to sell mine, it's available in the for sale part of Birdforum, but might get it's big brother the P1000 next year when I have more time and money next year.

Attachments

• 1-DSCN1325.jpg
    1-DSCN1325.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 1-DSCN1700.jpg
    1-DSCN1700.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 1-DSCN1734-001.jpg
    1-DSCN1734-001.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 55
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back