• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My test report on the Nikon Coolpix P5000 camera (1 Viewer)

Many thanks for your review, Yossi. I've been leaning towards getting this camera ever since I heard it was coming out. And after reading the positive feedback on BF and your excellent review it looks like I'm ready to buy.

You mention you used "the adapter" to connect the P5000 to your scope. Is that the UR-E20 you're referring to? I'm just wondering whether I could use this adapter to attach the camera to the DS eyepiece of a Nikon ED 82. (Nikon's Japanese site refers to an FSB-6 adapter for this camera but I'm not sure it's available here yet).

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the kind words.
I was referring to the UR-E20 that provides a 28mm thread.
I made my own adapters (with the help of a mechanic) for all my scopes eyepieces.
They all have a 28mm male threads on one side and metal tubes of various diameters and lenghts with fastening screws to fit my eyepieces on the other side.

Yossi,

Thank you for producing a most informative and unbiased report on this camera. Reading your results has been very interesting. I particularly liked the way you showed the ISO comparisons.

Yossi,

I found your iso comparison shots very helpful. An excellent objective report which should be helpful for new comers and the more experienced digiscopers.

John

Thanks Yossi!

I bought one second hand for digiscoping with a Nikon EDIIA scope, as a replacement for my coolpix 4500.
Hope the adapters work with the 5000! De p5000 includes the URE20.

thanks for the report Yossi,,

I still have my old 990 along with the available lens Nikon had to offer,, is nice to use them on the P5000 to obtain some photos the stand alone camera will not do,,

have to agree the 5000 is a very good P&S camera,,

I ordered a P5100 yesterday, mainly as as day to day use camera, but hopefully to try digiscoping later (no scope yet). I have ordered it from Amazon for £175 ish but while searching the net found an extra Nikon offer, if you order on or before 31 March 2008 (tomorrow), you can claim a 4gb sandisk memory card and camera case from Nikon.

Had a play with a P5100 in jessops yesterday, was actually quiet impressed with it, especially for the price. Focussing was OK, especially if you prefocus (like I do). I also get to use the flash from my D70 :) although it will dwarf the camera.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/146607/nikon-coolpix-p5100-claim-a-free-sa/

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back