• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch 10x42 or Kamakura? (1 Viewer)

kennekam

I went to my favorite camera shop to buy a pair of Nikon Monarch 10x42 binocs which I saw a week ago. The one I saw today did not operate very smoothly and I was told that they could not get stock for weeks.

They showed me a Kamakura which looked virtually identical. It was better made though and the optics seemed the same. The price is the same as the Nikon's. On the body it says 'Multi-coating' and 'Phase coating'. On the box it says KA-AD-7 10x42.

The shop said Kamakura is Nikon's OEM and that the binoc is the same as the Monarch being nitrogen filled, etc. I cannot find anything on the model online.

The name is new to me. How good is it likely to be?

Hello

I think the answer might be that Kamakura is a large optics manufacturer in Japan that makes binoculars for many of the better known companies. They may be selling optics under their own brand now too. Its possible that some of Nikon range come from this factory, and the two models you are considering are made in the same place with just a few differences.

Six years later and there is still nothing here about Kamakura 8x42 binoculars. I have friends who say they are great but I would like to see the specs and some comparison against the Nikon Monarch ATBs and the Olympus WXR I.

Using a Kamakura

Six years later and there is still nothing here about Kamakura 8x42 binoculars. I have friends who say they are great but I would like to see the specs and some comparison against the Nikon Monarch ATBs and the Olympus WXR I.

I ended up buying the Kamakura 8x42 and have been nothing but pleased with them. They wear well and take a lot of bashing. We have again compared them with the Monarchs and find the optics identical. Better made too. You have to go the Leica or Swarovski route to get better glass at many times the price. Highly recommened.

I could not find out much about them other than they make binocs for other people. I would use the same specs as for the Monarchs. I bought mine at Orms in Cape Town.

Look at the Lynx 8x42 as well.
Lynx is a SA company that only market the binoculars that is manufactured by Kamakura in Japan.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back