• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rio galeao airport (1 Viewer)

Nohatch

Mad scientist
I was wondering if there are any good birding spots in the immediate vicinity of GIG airport? I have a 4 hour layover next month and was hoping to nip out for an hour or so. Perhaps a local park or piece of woodland?
Any tips much appreciated :t:

N

I've birded the Botanical Gardens in Rio before, and it was a good intro to Brazil birding. They're about 21k from the airport. HOWEVER I would caution that depending on time of day etc. traffic in Rio can be horrendous (it's taken me 3 hrs from downtown Rio to the airport before) so it's a bit of a risk.

Cheers Jon, I don't think I'll risk going into town on such a brief stopover! I may just take a walk around the airport :)

N

Hi Nohatch,

Let me ask an obvious question, have you checked the airport in Google maps for example? Might give you a good idea of what is around it. If I remember correctly most of the surrounding area is fenced in. Here is a recent capture from Google maps:

Attachments

• Governador Island.jpg
    Governador Island.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 64
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back