• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alphfluenza (1 Viewer)

What about Big Red!?.../QUOTE]

Big Red arrived one day ahead of schedule last year, Nov. 9, but she wouldn't come down and eat her "chickie" when I called her. She apparently had dined elsewhere.

I saw her twice more, being chased by crows in the park, and I haven't seen her since. Penn State set off explosives to chase the crows off campus (they are smart birds so they like to hang around campus and sit in on classes, however lacking an anal sphincter, that can get kind of messy).

This started in mid Feb. last year, and Big Red stopped coming around, because the park was infested with crows, which end up in the surrounding townships including mine. I feed them bread, cereal, and peanuts so they don't descend en masse on my backyard like a black cloud and consume all the black oil sunflower seeds I put out for the birds and squirrels in the winter. They also knock down my suet feeder and eat the suet.

With all those crows, Big Red, who usually hides in nooks and crannies in the trees from crows that are harassing her, apparently flew the coop.

While I miss feeding her and taking photos and videos, I'm relieved because she took up a lot of my time since she didn't always come down right away to eat her "chickie" (raw chicken or turkey), particularly on overcast days because it was dim in the morning and I think she was worried about the owl, who also takes up residency in the woods near the park. Plus, if she failed to show that morning, I'd have to keep going out looking for her to make sure didn't make a meal of my squirrel friends.

She'd meet up with her mate, and they would disappear for a week, so I got a mid-winter break.

By mid-January of last year, we had 125 crows in the nearby woods, too many to feed. No doubt the squirrels and song birds got short changed with the seeds and peanuts I put out for them, but this year, they are fattening up, which is good because it was only 10*F this morning, and with 2-3" snow cover, they couldn't get at their buried peanuts and acorns.

My $53.99 duck boots from Cabela's came in handy this morning walking on the icy snow cover when I went out to feed the birds and squirrels. Good investment!

Brock

What about Big Red!?.../QUOTE]

Big Red arrived one day ahead of schedule last year, Nov. 9, but she wouldn't come down and eat her "chickie" when I called her. She apparently had dined elsewhere.

I saw her twice more, being chased by crows in the park, and I haven't seen her since. Penn State set off explosives to chase the crows off campus (they are smart birds so they like to hang around campus and sit in on classes, however lacking an anal sphincter, that can get kind of messy).

This started in mid Feb. last year, and Big Red stopped coming around, because the park was infested with crows, which end up in the surrounding townships including mine. I feed them bread, cereal, and peanuts so they don't descend en masse on my backyard like a black cloud and consume all the black oil sunflower seeds I put out for the birds and squirrels in the winter. They also knock down my suet feeder and eat the suet.

With all those crows, Big Red, who usually hides in nooks and crannies in the trees from crows that are harassing her, apparently flew the coop.

While I miss feeding her and taking photos and videos, I'm relieved because she took up a lot of my time since she didn't always come down right away to eat her "chickie" (raw chicken or turkey), particularly on overcast days because it was dim in the morning and I think she was worried about the owl, who also takes up residency in the woods near the park. Plus, if she failed to show that morning, I'd have to keep going out looking for her to make sure didn't make a meal of my squirrel friends.

She'd meet up with her mate, and they would disappear for a week, so I got a mid-winter break.

By mid-January of last year, we had 125 crows in the nearby woods, too many to feed. No doubt the squirrels and song birds got short changed with the seeds and peanuts I put out for them, but this year, they are fattening up, which is good because it was only 10*F this morning, and with 2-3" snow cover, they couldn't get at their buried peanuts and acorns.

My $53.99 duck boots from Cabela's came in handy this morning walking on the icy snow cover when I went out to feed the birds and squirrels. Good investment!

Brock

Brock:

You do have a predicament. When dealing with pests a nice pellet gun
can be a nice thing to have around.

You can choose what you consider a pest. o:D

Jerry

If I win the Powerball I will buy everyone on Bird Forum a Swarovski 10x50 SV including you Brock. Then they will know what it is like to have the best binocular in the world.

I'd book flights to Europe and Japan and see my binos assembled. I'll have Nikon spin the porro line up and have them knock out an se in 8x50 with twist-up eyecups and monarch objective covers, fully waterproofed with 10 diopters focus past infinity.

next I'll swing by swarovski and let the habicht team have a peek through the competition.

I'll take the long route home over land through Europe via Spain, a dip into North Africa and then from Cairo to Bangkok and on to New Zealand by sea. if Trump wins, I might need to wait it out overseas, but I'd be fine heading to Chile and working my way north to the canal, then heading into the Caribbean for rum, cigars and hummingbirds.

I do hope I'd be able to get to North Carolina to view the eclipse in 2017, though.

self indulgent fantasy aside, is anyone else making plans to see the eclipse? especially folks who know the weather in the southeast well?

Hi Pileatus,
I also thought it a bit hasty.
Additionally, it might take Swarovski 50 years to make 116,000 SVs.
So they should be allocated to the oldest first, ending up with the present ten year olds who will be 60 when they get the free binocular.

If I win the Powerball I will buy everyone on Bird Forum a Swarovski 10x50 SV including you Brock. Then they will know what it is like to have the best binocular in the world.

Looks like there will be no Alphfluenza cure from Dennis since there are no reported jackpot winners from Colorado. For non USA members not seeing the news, there were three winners to split the Powerball lottery jack pot amount of 1.6 billion. They are from California, Tennessee, and Florida.

Brock

Glad to hear Big Red survived another season. Thanks for the update. Big Red should consider dining on crow. There are YouTube videos showing Hawk vs Crow and the crow did not fair very well. Tasty!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back