• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help needed for warblers or types in November (1 Viewer)

hindleygreener

Hi i hope someone can help i have just been to Mexico early November 2018 and took these pictures while at Riviera Maya in Yucatan any help really appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC03043.JPG
    DSC03043.JPG
    327.2 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC03045.JPG
    DSC03045.JPG
    469.4 KB · Views: 73
Andy thanks for that just looked at guides and white eyed i should have worked out would have struggled with red eyed. These are first Vireos for me so very pleased thanks for help Mike

Regarding #1 I think I am with Andy on Red-eye. I see a black edge where crown and supercilium meets that should be absent in YuVi but present in REVi.

Niels

Regarding #1 I think I am with Andy on Red-eye. I see a black edge where crown and supercilium meets that should be absent in YuVi but present in REVi.

Niels

I also wondered about that black-looking edege, but to my eye you can see a similar effect on images of Yucatan Vireo. Greyness of upperparts and colour of undertail better for Yucatan I think.

I also wondered about that black-looking edege, but to my eye you can see a similar effect on images of Yucatan Vireo. Greyness of upperparts and colour of undertail better for Yucatan I think.

I think ReVi is strongly overlooked in Yucatan during migration. For example, at one time I was out with a guide who did not really realize that ReVi migrate through the area. As a consequence, I would be cautious about misidentified images on the web.

Niels

Edit: but I do see what you mean about the undertail ...

All this is a great help as teaching me as you speak looking at images to see what you see and comparing myself never even heard of either vireos Mike

I don’t see #1 being a Red-eyed. They always show a distinctly darker eyeliner and grayer cap that contrast sharply with the olive nape and back. That concolor head pattern is good for Yucatán and some races of Black-whiskered (but lacks whiskers)

Andy

I don’t see #1 being a Red-eyed. They always show a distinctly darker eyeliner and grayer cap that contrast sharply with the olive nape and back. That concolor head pattern is good for Yucatán and some races of Black-whiskered (but lacks whiskers)

Andy

I only plumped for Red-eyed due to having no books here so it was not a well supported punt.

Last edited:
I see a lot of Red-eyed's here in PA, and that just doesn't look like a red-eyed to me. The facial pattern is just too diffuse, the bill looks too small, and the bird looks too compact.

So I vote Yucatan.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back