• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2018 List Going? (2 Viewers)

I'm in Beijing for 11 days for a conference, plus a few additional days for birding. Picked up three year ticks this afternoon which also all happen to be lifers for me.

525. Oriental Magpie
526. Azure-winged Magpie
527. Chinese Blackbird

First full day here tomorrow so I'm off to the Botanical gardens to pick up some specialties.

A few new ones from the last couple of days in Beijing:

528. Eurasian Eagle-Owl
529. Japanese Tit
530. Yellow-bellied Tit
531. Grey-capped Greenfinch
532. Crested Myna
533. Light-vented Bulbul
534. Chinese Nuthatch
535. Collared Finchbill

536. Red-billed Blue Magpie
537. Silver-throated Bushtit
538. Vinous-throated Parrotbill

539. Pallas's Leaf Warbler
540. Little Bunting
541. Black-crowned Night Heron

Early this afternoon I saw a Black-crowned Night Heron at one of my local patches. It wasn’t a new bird for the year, because I saw some in Jamaica in March. However, it was a year bird for West Virginia (no. 232), Preston County (no. 209), as well as a lifer for Preston County (no. 233).

Dave

Visit to Wild Duck Lake and the Great Wall near Beijing today produced a few good birds:

549. Vega Gull
550. Black-browed Reed Warbler
551. Falcated Duck
552. Eastern Spot-billed Duck

553. Smew
554. Greater Scaup
555. Chinese Grey Shrike
556. Baer's Pochard
557. Beijing Babbler
558. Plain Laughingthrush
559. Godlewski's Bunting

Particularly pleased by the Pochard as I missed it earlier in the year in India

Final two ticks for the trip in Beijing the other day in the Olympic Forest Park.

560. Yellow-throated Bunting
561. Rustic Bunting

I'm back in Sweden now. Not expecting to get many more ticks this year.

242 tundra swan
That might wrap up my easily obtained swans and geese in the N hemisphere for eBird (11). I had seen tundras before, but no dates for the old lists.

Last edited:
This morning I went on a field trip sponsored by our local Audubon chapter. I picked up one new bird for the year.

310. Black Scoter

Dave

A week on the east coast (NYC/CT/Boston) with limited birding bagged me a few more as the first snow of the season fell:
390. Golden-crowned Kinglet
391. Red-breasted Nuthatch
392. Palm Warbler (both subspecies side-by-side!)
393. Common Goldeneye
394. Carolina Wren
395. Swamp Sparrow

Last weekend in a neighboring county I added Black Scoter to my Year List. This morning I went to a remote lake in Preston County and found another Black Scoter. It was the 210th species I’ve seen in the county this year. That ties my record for the most birds I’ve seen in Preston County in a year. The bird was also a county lifer (number 234), my seventh of the year.

Dave

Back in LA for the holiday, started the week with a hike in the San Gabriels:
396. Brown Creeper
397. White-headed Woodpecker
398. Williamson’s Sapsucker

And a post holiday feast weekend daytrip to the Antelope Valley:
399. Tricolored Blackbird
400. White-tailed Kite
401. Mountain Plover (lifer)
402. Ferruginous Hawk
403. Mountain Bluebird
404. Red-naped Sapsucker

This morning I found a rare bird for this part of the state.

311. Sandhill Crane

It was the 211th species I saw in Preston County this year, breaking a record I set two years ago. It is also the most species ever seen in any county in West Virginia in a one-year period.

Dave

This morning I found a rare bird for this part of the state.

311. Sandhill Crane

It was the 211th species I saw in Preston County this year, breaking a record I set two years ago. It is also the most species ever seen in any county in West Virginia in a one-year period.

Dave

Whoa! Congrats, Dave!

The year is winding to a close quickly. Here are a few more recent observations...

30 October

St. James's Park, London, England
352. Graylag Goose
353. Common Shelduck

11 November

Billy Goat Trail, Maryland, USA
354. Pileated Woodpecker

29 November

Malieveld, The Hague, The Netherlands
355. Bar-headed Goose

1 December

Frankendael, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
356. European Robin

2 December

Central Park Pond, New York, NY, USA
357. Mandarin Duck

Latest Lifer: 785 : Muscovy Duck (Hotel Los Lagos, Arenal (Costa Rica, August 2018)

Whoa! Congrats, Dave!

Thanks Alex. Since subscribing to eBird a few years back, I have become interested in county listing. For the past four years, I’ve done a Preston County big year and am actually more proud of my county list than my state list.

Dave

Thanks Alex. Since subscribing to eBird a few years back, I have become interested in county listing. For the past four years, I’ve done a Preston County big year and am actually more proud of my county list than my state list.

Dave

Yeah eBird has encouraged my county listing throughout California as well. I also started keeping numbers for native birds only ("NIB" - non-introduced birds).

For early December - a weekend of wines in Paso Robles. On the drive back:
405. Yellow-billed Magpie (roadside Santa Barbara County)
406. Reddish Egret (Pt. Mugu)
407. Golden-crowned Sparrow (hiking stop at Pt. Mugu - Chumash Trail / La Jolla Valley)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back