• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (3 Viewers)

There are song thrushes on about five different roofs between Daisyhill and my house every evening and I can hear one every night at back door almost latish too (I know their song off now as so many singing their hearts out around here) but I was surprised to read that they stop singing in July I think and so does the Blackbird .........I notice too that the little Redpolls are very fond of Hawthorn trees.

I never knew that Dolce - and haven't heard any singing around there for the past week or so ! - Apart from the Pipits who are still in song flight (I wonder if they ever stop ?) hope not ;)

Hi all. Just back from 2 weeks in the Algarve and got quite a bit of birding in.
I wonder is that a Little Bittern or something like that in third photo (have to check my books upstairs) its an amazing bird and lovely. I wonder did I guess correct. Sorry but not Grasshopper Warbler sound as far too much reeling but the bird sound has a zizzy sort of much shorter reeling at the end of song just I think.

Last edited:
I never knew that Dolce - and haven't heard any singing around there for the past week or so ! - Apart from the Pipits who are still in song flight (I wonder if they ever stop ?) hope not ;)

I cannot find yet where I read about the Song Thrushes and Blackbirds stopping singing around July and although I heard one yesterday evening and one near here today but the splendour of the competitive chorus heard around here quite a while especially evenings is not as noticeable and dwindling so perhaps correct that they do stop soon. I have had a few sightings of some kind of Pipits (whatever commonest probably) but not long enough to be sure of their song as yet. Im pretty sure I have heard them near the hospital.
I had my first female Yellowhammer today as much too yellowy to be much else. Ive heard a Chiffchaff in my garden a fair bit and beautiful Coat Tits are back. I saw the first black headed Terns (not gulls) this year down on the water beside bus station but definitely a lack of them this year so far.

Cormorant and pied wagtail at a guess - hard to see the other one - might be a wheatear? No idea really....
Thanks I had a fair idea it was a Cormorant as I recall seeing the odd one there as a child and a bird you would never forget as something dark and forboding about them especially when resting I think as I saw it.

I was convinced they were Twites as small really heavily streaked lovely small birds (couldnt think what else and standing out a mile from the Sparrows and Redpolls) and then one of the 3 turned around to let me see bright yellow along the sides of wings and bright yellow stipes in their backs. I wasnt sure at all and then it occurred to me that they were probably juvenile Yellowhammers in my trees and also a lot in nextdoors Hazel nut tree. I got fleeting glimpses of 2 males in same tree on edge of woods where I thought I saw one last year recently.

Dolce - I think your right about the Thrushes stopping singing - or maybe they have moved on from where I walk my dog (Finbar Ind. Est.) The young mistle thrushes are out and about and are a fine size and colour !

Just to ask you and anyone on here a question on equipment.I am looking for a medium size binocular and have been reading up on alot of reviews and such,I have more or less got it down to the Nikons 8x42's monarchs or the Leupolds 8x30's (would like waterproofs) but was wondering if anyone could point me to a good dealer/website or even a shop (maybe up north) where I could find a good price - there seems to be alot of $ signs ad shipping costs on the web !

I would appreciate it ;thanks - or maybe any advise on a cheap to middlen priced pair

Anyone know what the delightful little butterfly is called ?(only mobile photo and may have been red and navy or else black but it actually flew on my hand when I was trying to get photo of it which surprised me) A lot of lovely butterflys about but gone far too soon.

Attachments

• Red butterfly 001.jpg
    Red butterfly 001.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Red butterfly 004.jpg
    Red butterfly 004.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 51
Dolce - I think your right about the Thrushes stopping singing - or maybe they have moved on from where I walk my dog (Finbar Ind. Est.) The young mistle thrushes are out and about and are a fine size and colour !

Just to ask you and anyone on here a question on equipment.I am looking for a medium size binocular and have been reading up on alot of reviews and such,I have more or less got it down to the Nikons 8x42's monarchs or the Leupolds 8x30's (would like waterproofs) but was wondering if anyone could point me to a good dealer/website or even a shop (maybe up north) where I could find a good price - there seems to be alot of $ signs ad shipping costs on the web !

I would appreciate it ;thanks - or maybe any advise on a cheap to middlen priced pair

I read a lot of reviews and then walked into Jessops Buttercrane Newry and settled happily for Bushnells 8x42 h2o (new lighter smaller ones) waterproof, fogproof, eyeglass adaptable, multicoated baker roof prism or something like that about 129 sterling and I am very pleased with them. Only thing my daughter saw them bit cheaper on Jessops own website but I have to say their staff are very pleasant and patient and nice to try before you buy. The bottom lense covers wouldnt really stay on but Bushnells sent me free a new set that do stay on much better. I can even see well with them late into the evenings and early morning when light not great so that surprised me as not expensive. They are perfect for me anyway.

Thanks Dolce - Went onto Jessops website and seen them for £99 reduced to £89 and with a Free Bushnell back(ruc)sack ! opted for "collect at store" and have been very impressed with them looking through the rain into trees ! are your ones 709grams ?

Again Thanks and to your daughter :t:

Last edited:
Thanks Dolce - Went onto Jessops website and seen them for £99 reduced to £89 and with a Free Bushnell back(ruc)sack ! opted for "collect at store" and have been very impressed with them looking through the rain into trees ! are your ones 709grams ?

Again Thanks and to your daughter :t:
Yes cant find the box but that sounds the same weight, I bought mine last winter and definitely paid bit more but still more than pleased with them for price. I can still hear one Song Thrush near hospital and one near here but not as many singing. But my goodness did the rains bring birds into my garden today........... must post few photos.

No idea what this unusual bird is with thick white band so unusual along side and blue band beneath but it just occurred to me to look at Hawfinch and also heard an odd abrupt continuous call today in my garden which I had last year but never could see the bird ...........call goes like whip whip or quip or something like that. Although I think Semi colared Flycatchers might make a sound like that which Im pretty sure have and my mother has same sort of Flycatchers in Omeath too. I heard this sound at 5am in daughters house England and got a good recording and then other day got same sound recorded near the woods here and then today is first time Im sure heard sound in garden this summer.
I am still in shock about a bird with high straight up black crest on head at back door literaly feeding seeds on ground whilst I was sitting in chair. It was some kind of Crested Lark and I did have 2 Woodlarks once last summer. Minutes later had two query Shore Larks in same place absolutely beautiful with soft pale grey on chest blending into soft pale brown and they were stunning. I cant believe how close they were to me through the patio doors. Shortly after that I could see some kind of Lark in tree for seconds just with a red cheek and think that a Woodlark. The bunch of them must have came together and I cant be sure which sort of Larks they were but no doubt they were Larks of some sort.

Attachments

• query 039.jpg
    query 039.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 63
Some photos of a different beautiful Dove here all day and think I had a Turtle one as well later in the evening but no pics of it. I need to resize two photos showing silver specles on the back of the this unusual lovely Dove.It also had an unusual long white part at the end of its tail and like big black painted drops around the neck and seemed bigger than Colared Doves. The star at front of its neck was so stunning.

Attachments

• 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 62
Just two more poor photos (camera needs new battery) showing the silver specles on its back which were a bit stunning. I cannot figure out what it is called but it was feeding all day........... I also had what I think couldnt be much else other than a Rock Pipit (small bird) as so covered in big black spots all over face neck head chest etc and actually feeding with Sparrows on fat balls. I also had one biggish male Greenfinch with most peculiar slate black spiked head and neck (you would swear it had been to the hairdressers)....... so my goodness the rains brought a few weirdos in for food .................

Attachments

• 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 60
Anyone know what the delightful little butterfly is called ?(only mobile photo and may have been red and navy or else black but it actually flew on my hand when I was trying to get photo of it which surprised me) A lot of lovely butterflys about but gone far too soon.

Hi Dolce,

The butterfly is actually a moth, namely a Cinnabar moth. You'll see their stripey caterpillers on ragwort.

JK

Hi Dolce,

The butterfly is actually a moth, namely a Cinnabar moth. You'll see their stripey caterpillers on ragwort.

JK

Thanks I had just typed in moths when I couldnt see any butterflys like it and have seen plenty ragwort in fields here.

I could see and hear about nine or ten Swifts screaming around the roof of an old building at the hospital about 9.20pm yesterday. Minutes later further on down near nurses building I saw and heard the lovely sounds of about seven or eight House Martins just flying off roofs quite low. It was my first time to hear the sounds of House Martins so close to me and I was very impressed and sounds you would recall. I think the odd Greenfinch may have been a Scottish Crossbill or something like that. I definitely have Flycatchers as I can clearly see them stretching on the branches almost constantly to reach flies and darting for them too. I seem to have two types, keep noticing ones with little dark chins.

Did anyone check for corncrake(s) calling at last years location? Just wondering as it was about this time last year that they were calling.

nothing so far - checked various loactions around Dunaney over the last few weeks...

on the other hand a barn owl reported around annagassan...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back