• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How waterproof is the ES80? (1 Viewer)

I think mine is the Mk1 so is only rain proof (not monsoon proof).

I wouldnt worry too much about it Guizotia,mine gets rained on a fair bit and i am quite confident in its shower proofness.

In the unlikly event of it ever foging its easy to dry out although it takes a wee bit of time. The one thing i would add tho if you have to dry it out is dont rush it and to place a lint free cloth over the eye piece hole. The condensation will pass through it to the air and the cloth will prevent dust from entering the scope body.

Like i said tho i wouldnt worry too much about it.

Thanks - no I won't worry if it gets rained on, but I'll still get a cover to throw over it. It's quite big item to send back for a fix.

Last edited:
Well see my quote from Opticron above - they state the scope is "100% nitrogen waterproof" in the literature but clarify above that it is not submersible.

I only want to avoid the disruption of having to get the scope fixed if it did get water in it. If it was claimed as submersible I would have greater confidence with it in the rain, but if it is only guaranteed to be waterproof in the rain, I have a lower level of confidence in it.

The Opticron quote above only makes sense if you assume ( as I do ) that there are TWO ways of 100% nitrogen waterproofing:

1)

Nitrogen purged ; this means nitrogen is used to drive out all traces of vapor.
Dry air with 0 % water is then sealed, which would make the scope fogproof and waterproof but not submersible.

2)

Nitrogen filled ; this means nitrogen gas fills up the interior to a + 0,5 atmosphere overpressure, with heavier sealing, which would make the scope fogproof, waterproof AND submersible.

This is how I see it; I just read on one of the links above quoting JIS waterproof standards, that my Zeiss Diascope is only JIS 6, so not submersible. I used it for nearly four years now in heavy downpours as well as extended periods of torrential rain ( without a stay-on case ) and it never ever fogged or let in water. So the JIS 6 level has been sufficiently proven to be correct.

Kind regards,

Ronald

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back