• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strumble Head - West Wales (1 Viewer)

Colin

Axeman (Retired)
England
I was thinking of doing a bit of seawatching from this location this autumn depending on movements and weather. Does anyone have any experience of this watchpoint and have any suggestions on timing and whether the place was productive? Thanks in advance.

Only been once, 22.9.91 Wind was west force 6-7 after a SW gale. Imagine it's best in NW after Sw. As I remember that was/is a big concrete 'hide' /wartime battery. We had a long-tailed skua, 1 pom, 13 arctic skuas,, 12 great skuas, a great shearwater, 9 sooties, 4 Balearics, 2000 Manxies, 2 storm petrels, 1 Leaches, , a sunfish and a leatherback turtle, a phalarope sp, 1 black-throated diver and 5 red throateds, and also saw a sorry dunlin chased and killed by a whole family of peregrines. One of my better morning's work. Doubt it's like that all the time though.

There's an article by Jon Green on sea-watching at Strumble Head 1994-2003 in the latest edition of Welsh Birds (Vol 4, No.3, 2005) - worth a look if you can get hold of a copy. To quote:
The "ideal conditions are prolonged south-westerly gales followed by strong west or north-westerly gales.
Late August to the end od September is probably the best time.

Docmartin and Rhion,
Thanks for the replies. I will try and get there towards the end of August or very early in September. I would like to give it a go in middle to late September but cannot afford the time then although I may be able to squeeze a trip at the very end of that month.

Hi Colin,

Over the years I have found Strumble Head to be a productive site for passage birds.

My trips have been at varied times between August & April, always with something of note to see (including great porpoise & seal watching) - break of dawn is my favourite time which does necessitate an overnight sleep in the car but i feel any discomfort is worth it.

Good luck & dress up warm - it is ALWAYS cold on Strumble Head.

Don't forget to check the cliffs & fields for Chough, Wheatear, Peregrine etc.
I once did a 14 hour sea watch from there & counted over 100,000 Manx Shearwaters with a peak of 4000 an hour & several British Storm Petrels in fading light but very little else. Harbour porpoises & dolphins should be seen if it's not too choppy. The last time I went, which was mid-September 2003, a Long-tailed Skua was the highlight.

It's a fabulous place and well worth the seemingly never ending narrow road to get to it. You will go past Fishguard harbour which has held the odd rare gull & Forster's Tern (but not in September!) There was also a Alpine Accentor reported from the steps to the Strumble lighthouse some years ago too.

Enjoy Colin.

Dave J

redeyedvideo said:
I once did a 14 hour sea watch from there & counted over 100,000 Manx Shearwaters with a peak of 4000 an hour

I hate to be a pedant, but how does that maths work? 14 x 4 is only 56.
;)

Docmartin said:
I hate to be a pedant, but how does that maths work? 14 x 4 is only 56.
;)

I stand corrected. I was quoting from memory, or exagerating or something. ;) Nevertheless it was an amazing spectacle & the final total was over 100,000 birds. Seeing is believing I suppose unless anyone else can back me up?

Dave J

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back