• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (40 Viewers)

Red crested pochard sorry two Whltlingham Little Broad

Two Red-crested Pochards on the Little Broad at Whitlingham this morning, loosely associating with some Gadwall at the western end. A large arrival of gulls since the last time I was there, 65+ Lesser Black Backs, (at least one Yellow-legged with them) and 200+ Black-headed Gulls. Other than that mostly the usual stuff, three Kingfishers and flocks of Redwing over.

Cheers James
100 at Whitlingham in 2010

Attachments

• Red crested pochard Whitlingham Little Broad 16 Oct 2010.JPG
    Red crested pochard Whitlingham Little Broad 16 Oct 2010.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 128
  • Red crested Pochards in flight Whitlingham Little Broad 16 Oct 2010.JPG
    Red crested Pochards in flight Whitlingham Little Broad 16 Oct 2010.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 102
Along the last section of the path back to car I had a pair of Stonechats and I suddenly realised I can't remember the last time I saw Stonechat anywhere!

Had a colour ringed bird at Cley last Saturday by the Swarovski hide, and another from the coast road just before the east bank on the sunday.

Last edited:
Two Red-crested Pochards on the Little Broad at Whitlingham this morning, loosely associating with some Gadwall at the western end. A large arrival of gulls since the last time I was there, 65+ Lesser Black Backs, (at least one Yellow-legged with them) and 200+ Black-headed Gulls. Other than that mostly the usual stuff, three Kingfishers and flocks of Redwing over.

Thanks James. Wonder if these RCPs came any further than Flixton Pits?!

Interestingly, a pig farm has newly opened on fields just south of Norwich - hooray! Between the Tas bridge at Caistor St Edmunds and the A47 roundabout south of Harford/Tescos. I guess your LBs and YG could be linked to this. On Thursday morning, there were 275 LBs in the fields at Caistor Fort (i.e. where the Glossy Ibi were last year). Worth keeping an eye on.

Quiet for passerine migrants at Horsey this morning but an amazing movement of auks, with 660 Guill+Razors south in an hour's counting.

Cheers

Andy

Nothing like as woeful as yesterday . . .

. . . but could have been better . . .

. . . and then there was an accelerando towards the end.

It started quite slowly, with nothing at Sheringham or Gramboro’. Walsey held a few Bramblings, coming down in the area of the feeders. No sign of yesterday’s, late-reported Yellow-browed.

With the pager indicating that Warham’s rarer Phylloscopi were on offer, I went west. It took a little while and then there was Pallas’s- not all that close. On a second visit, this was not on show, but the Yellow-browed allowed glimpses. Then, there it got even better.

An expedition was suggested and undertaken. (The Famous Five go to Wells.) The first section was very busy, with Chiffies and, especially, Redpolls calling, but mainly invisible. A Peregrine floated over, seen in the gaps between the trees. Then Simeon latched on to a splendiferous Firecrest, which returned to show itself off. Unfortunately (Simeon), the low level of light in the 'Hundred Acre Wood' did not allow my camera to work effectively: it just produces noisy, impressionistic blurs of the image in these conditions.

It could have been good.

Attachments

• 020psesm.jpg
    020psesm.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 021psesm.jpg
    021psesm.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Super day in the field.
Began at Waxham, which aside from a few Goldcrest seemed a little quiet today. I would have liked to have spent longer exploring, but was hosting a visit from family so thought i had better show them some birds!

Great Yarmouth cemetery was good fun and resulted in excellent views of a Yellow Browed Warbler zipping around with a mixed Tit flock. A Firecrest offered a fleeting view at best. My first time here, another place worth returning to!

Buckenham Marshes gave up a Peregrine and a shedload of Wigeon. Some distant Geese may have been the White Fronts, but time was running out. 3 Ruff were feeding amongst the cattle.

Made the obligatory solo outing to Surlingham as dusk fell. The bushes were still full of Song Thrush with the odd Redwing. A wheezy call alerted me to the presence of 3 Brambling, a new patch bird. More than happy with that, these guys were then eclipsed by the sight of a female Hen Harrier over the reeds, watched for 20 minutes from the ruins. Patch rewards!

Cheers,
Jim.

Cley

Rolled up in the Cley beach carpark at a later time than intended (nothing new there!) and joined Connor, Billy and Simeon for a seawatch - we sat on the shingle amongst all the action!

My list between 11am and 12pm was: 4 Great Skuas 5 Red Throated Divers, 28 Gannets, 13 Common Scoter, 18 Auk sp., 31 Brent Geese, 3 Skylarks in off sea (S. picked up) and Redwings continuously flew over our heads. Connor, Billy and Simeon then left to go to Wareham and I went off to Walsey Hills.

Walsey Hills

Spent a long time here which was quite risky really as no phone signal, so no way of knowing if I was missing any thing good!!! One brambling by the feeders and another one calling in the back willows. Usual tit flock at the feeders. When I crept round the centre path I found several chiffchaffs and blackcaps, but not alot else. Stood by the willows at the back for ages hoping for something exciting but nothing more than a blackcap and the brambling calling. Photographed Common Darters that had settled on the alexandra leaves. The most exciting thing happened today - I noticed that there were several sand wasps around the railway sleepers up by the top of the steps, so went back to car and got the macro lens out - when I returned I noticed a lizard was basking in the sunshine, so naturally took some pictures. A bit later something magical happened. I noticed a shiny, beady, little eye peering out from the smallest hole in the wood - it was the lizard! and as I was photographing this, another beady little eye appeared - two lizards peeping out of the hole, priceless! Very sadly though for some reason I couldn't get both of them in focus. Photographed a hoverfly aswell as the sand wasps and a ladybird.

Wareham Greens

Arrived here and parked the car opposite the middle track and walked down the track a few yards to join others watching the Pallas's Warbler in the top of the oak tree. It performed very differently to the Burnham Overy ones that I photographed - in fact I didn't get a single smudgy picture of this bird! I was so unprepared for a Hen Harrier that flew right over all our heads at 4.50pm - by the time I got the camera on it, it was quite a way off. A barn owl was quartering the field distantly. Photographed chaffinches, robin and a hedge sparrow on the hawthorn bushes. Drove home.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

The Hills are aloud with the sound of firstrees- as NOT sung by Julie Andrews

(Well, they should be, with all those pines !)

12 Lapland Buntings just west of the estuary, on the saltmarsh, were flighty and didn’t allow any pix.

When I got to the trees, it was much quieter than last weekend, but the sun came out and the temperature rose, until it was quite warm. I found the tit flock and a Firecrest and, with them, was a double wing-barred Phyllosc- almost certainly a Yellow-browed.

However, as I spotted it, the most unholy racket broke out overhead and 2 adult Peregrines burst into view through the trees, scrapping with a falcon sp ALMOST TWICE AS BIG. I couldn’t see it all that well, as it flew directly away and into the sun, but it was grey-brown, with heavy streaks and its moustachials were not prominent. (I’m not too good with raptors.)

A couple of Redpolls flew over, very white underneath, although they weren’t big. Robins numbered about 20. A Lesser Whitethroat sprung into the air, flycatching. A few Bramblings were around. A Great-spotted Woodpecker keeked. A Merlin streaked through. (No, it did have all its feathers on !) A Blue Tit was a site tick for me.

Returning, just before 1400h, I spied 4 raptors thermalling, between t’Hills and (nearer to) Warham Greens. One was a Common Buzzard; the others had longer tails and one might have been a Hen Harrier. The others ? I had no ‘scope. Did anyone else see these better, please ?

It was wonderful to be out there with The Hills to myself. It’s good birding with others, but they were magical today- until a long shower of cold, wet rain (almost hail), put a damper on things.

7 Snow Buntings flew over Gramboro' and back again on my way back east.

***DO NOT GO OUT HERE WITHOUT EXPERT GUIDANCE AND THE SAFETY ISSUES FULLY EXPLAINED***

Attachments

• 017psesm.jpg
    017psesm.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 028psesm.jpg
    028psesm.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 031psesm.jpg
    031psesm.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Third Red-flanked Bluetail This Week!!!!!

An AWESOME last day to my holiday!!!!!!!!

Cley Coastguards

Arrived at 7.30am and it was pouring with rain and very cold. When I saw Eddie's car there in the carpark, but no Eddie seawatching, I just knew nothing much was happening on the sea! Spoke to the only birder watching the sea and he had had very little. Could see some common scoter but it all looked lifeless so got back in car. Now lashing down with rain, took picture of a complete rainbow! Still raining, decided to have a snooze, well there's no point in getting unnecessarily wet is there! I sat in the car with my gloves on and I was STILL cold! When the rain stopped I relocated to Walsey Hills.

Walsey Hills NOA

Apart from the usual tits, chaffinches, hedge sparrows etc at bird feeders I only saw a few chiffchaffs and goldcrests in here. No sign of any bramblings today. Chatted to two lovely people who were manning the centre now at weekends - Sundays only at the moment. I told them how I remember climbing down the steps of the hatch into the building before the front of building was dug away and exposed.

Sarbury Hill

Nothing here apart from redwings and blackbirds. Walked from where my car was parked out across the marsh to the shingle bank/beach. Very annoyed as it came up on the RBA website that a Little Auk had been seen off Coastguards - my own fault I should have stuck it out, well I didn't even really try really did I! Then the Grey Phalarope decided to fly east from Salthouse where it had been found earlier - I bet thats gone to Kelling I thought to myself. Feeling really fed up and despondent now, also due to the fact, this was the last day of my holiday. Did have good close views of a little egret and a barn owl sitting on a post and a grey heron though. Message on RBA website: 'Grey Phalarope, Kelling Meadows...'!!!

Kelling Water Meadows

Had early lunch by the car and then went to Kelling Water Meadows to look at the Grey Phalarope and joined up with Pete Snook and Graham - we all took some tiny distant shots and then I suggesed we go to Muckleborough to find our own 'bluetail'.

Muckleborough Hill

We didn't find a 'bluetail' of course BUT Pete heard and then we saw a Yellow browed Warbler at 2pm - well done Pete! It was about 100 yards along the right hand path from the gate by the main road, on the right hand side - there is a big dead, white coloured tree, behind this is a sloeberry bush and behind this a huge sycamore tree, it was feeding in the lower part of the tree. Graham was especially pleased as this was his third new 'year tick' today - 'Mr Graham' as we affectionately call him is a serious lister! Year lists, county lists, garden lists, telly lists etc etc bless him!!! (He'll kill me for saying this on here, but I might get away with it, hopefully!) As we were leaving 3 birders came to look at the YBW and I pointed them in the right direction (they did re-find it, I found out later, when I saw them at Holme).

Walsey Hills

Decided to have a second look in Walsey Hills with Pete and Graham, when a familiar car with the Acro King (alias Mr John Furse) in, shouted across urgently "Red-flanked Bluetail, Holme!!!!!!!!!" OMG!!!!!!!!

Bye Pete, bye Graham........... Pete and Graham are much more sensible than me and stayed at Walsey.

First for Holme

RED-FLANKED BLUETAIL

(my third this week and fourth in all)

The traffic was absolutely horrendous. For ages I followed 3 cars in front, the front one was crawling along doing 30mph in a 60mph all the bl**dy way, I lost patience and overtook all 3 at Warham!!! The same thing happened again later, ANOTHER 3 cars in front with the front one again crawling along, overtook another 3 cars on the straight bit of road at Titchwell, for goodness sake!!!!!! Crawled along the bumpy Firs road to park to see the bird. At the pay hut some INCREDIBLY annoying person was arguing with Robert W. about paying!!!!!! Its quite simple, if you are an NWT or NOA member you don't have to pay, if you're not YOU DO!!! How bl**dy selfish to hold up loads of others cars and birders quibbling about paying!!! Anyway parked up by the 5-bar gate and walked along with Irene Boston to The NWT Forestry. Loads of people there already and it took me ages before I could see the bird - it was very elusive (saw it around 5.10pm). One of its favourite places I heard, was perched up on some lichen coloured dead trees - I was behind loads of people, some with big hats (take them off!) and I couldn't see even a gap to look through hardly. Eddie M. and Mark G. were there too and Mark picked up Four Shorelark flying over us! Anyway I got crafty later, when the bird flew off to its other favourite bush, everyone left the other favoured spot, so I got myself in there right at the front, tripod and camera set up, I felt happier! - I waited and waited. It did return to somewhere in the bushes in front of me and I felt quite smug sitting there now in front of everyone else instead of at the back! BUT it didn't show, well ok it did briefly for a split nanno of a second on the grass, only spotted by about 2 people and none of the photographers including myself got on it, HOW frustrating! I desperately wanted that bird on my camera. A First for Holme aswell! Anyway, time went on and the bird tormented us all by flying back and forth every now and then but NOT once did it perch up on the lichen covered dead trees which is what my camera was set up for. Light started to go, getting colder and eventually everyone left except for two other ladies and myself. We walked no more than a couple of feet forward from where I had been sitting all that time and I could not believe my luck, out it came to investigate us and perched on a grass stem right in front of us - camera clicked away on F4 and I got my shot!!!!!! Well one good one (ish) and a few others. It won't win any prizes but I don't think anyone else got any shots, so as Connor said this evening, I may be the only person to get the First for Holme Bluetail (if its gone in the morning). Although I am sure Gary H. and the finder etc has some pictures, I would be surprised if they didn't. Although I phoned RBA to say I was still watching it at 6.05pm and it had probably gone to roost - in fact it hadn't - I continued to watch it flicking about amongst the dead trees until around 6.20pm along with two other birders who had returned for another look! I just couldn't believe my luck that I had actually got a picture - flew round to my parents and showed them the picture - father said 'where's the blue tail' - I explained that I was lucky to get the bird at all, never mind the blue tail!

One of the best holiday's I have had and all in Norfolk! - clocked up just under 800 miles this week.

Thank you to the finder VERY, VERY much for making the last day of my holiday very special indeed!

PICTURES NOW ADDED FOR BOTH HOLME AND WAXHAM RFB'S AND PHOTOS ADDED TO OTHER POSTS ON MY BLOG

Attachments

• IMG_0529-best-web.jpg
    IMG_0529-best-web.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Hi, a group of us came down to Holkham yesterday and we had a great days birding. Highight was good views of red breasted flycatcher. Once i have processed shots if anything any good i will post, although there were several photographers with much better equipment than mine! cheers dennis

Sane drivers beware! There is a mad woman driver loose on the roads of North Norfolk.I was driving from Cley to Holme yesterday afternoon to view the Red-flanked Bluetail along the extremely busy coast road, and what must be one of the most dangerous in Norfolk, to be overtaken by a blond woman who was obviously trying to kill everybody in her way!

Sane drivers beware! There is a mad woman driver loose on the roads of North Norfolk.I was driving from Cley to Holme yesterday afternoon to view the Red-flanked Bluetail along the extremely busy coast road, and what must be one of the most dangerous in Norfolk, to be overtaken by a blond woman who was obviously trying to kill everybody in her way!

Just be grateful that it was only a Red-flanked Bluetail at Holme and not Simon King. Total carnage.

DiP

Catch up and 'de' weather

After missing one or two(!) good birds (and what sounded like the odd banana!) while away on Mull recently, have managed to at least catch up with Pallas, RF Bluetail and RB Fly in the last week - although sad to miss the sheer numbers of common migrants passing through while I was away as well.

On another topic entirely, and apologies if this is the wrong place to post, but does anyone know of any websites where I can look up past weather... i.e. the weather in Norfolk in April to July this year. My ageing brain cells can't remember back that far and I need a bit of detail for 'summat' I'm writing.

Ta muchly!

Irene
P.S. Doesn't everyone know by now to pull over to the side when Penny's approaching in your rear view mirror?!

A (very) dark horse ?

No, a Stonechat: at Gramboro’ today. Its underparts are the darkest brick-red I can recall. The photo’s the best I could do.

7 Lapland Buntings flew over- they’d changed species since yesterday !

Attachments

• 017sm.jpg
    017sm.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 196
Back in Norfolk Thurs-Sun:
Highlights - Richard's Pipit - one flew over Morston Quay calling whilst being given an interesting talk by NT warden David Wood on Thurs arvo.
Waxwing - 1 over calling at Burnham Overy Dunes on Sat morning c 9.30am, + 2 Ring Ouzels, 5 Poms on the sea (all juvs off west). 4 more Poms (one fine pale ad plus 3 juvs) off Titchwell. 3-4 Hen Harriers at Warham Greens Sat evening, with no company despite all the twitchers up the lane ticking the stripy things...
Then being 15 metres away from Dick Newell when he found the Holme Bluetail - very exciting, helping him relocate it, then calling Gary H to let him know the good news...
Several Lap bunts at Titch-Thorham-Holme, plus one Shore Lark etc.
Nice to be back in Norfolk, albeit briefly. I even ticked Penny at Warham on Saturday c5pm...
Great photos you got of the Bluetail, Penny! Glad somebody did.
ATB Jono

3-4 Hen Harriers at Warham Greens Sat evening, with no company despite all the twitchers up the lane ticking the stripy things...

Great photos you got of the Bluetail, Penny! Glad somebody did.
ATB Jono

I saw one of the Hen Harriers and got a record shot (see blog picture)

Thanks re: Bluetail LUCKY you!!!!:t: being there when it was first found. Did anyone who first saw it get any photos do you know?

Anyone else got any photos?

Best Wishes Penny:girl:
(Penelope Pitstop;))

On another topic entirely, and apologies if this is the wrong place to post, but does anyone know of any websites where I can look up past weather... i.e. the weather in Norfolk in April to July this year. My ageing brain cells can't remember back that far and I need a bit of detail for 'summat' I'm writing.

Ta muchly!

Irene
P.S. Doesn't everyone know by now to pull over to the side when Penny's approaching in your rear view mirror?!

Try this for weather on a certain date in the past...
http://www.wunderground.com/history/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back