• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone have the Canon 10D? (1 Viewer)

Just got ours yesterday evening and been trying them out today.

So far we've mostly been using a Canon 75-300mm IS zoom and a Canon 400L, but we've also tested the 10Ds out on our Canon 28-105mm zoom, Sigma 28-200mm and a Sigma 75-300mm zoom which all seem to work OK, although the Sigma 28-200 wouldn't work with an EOS 1V.

We've also got a Sigma 175-500mm zoom which won't work at all with the 10D.

Have 10D about a week. Using 100/400L IS telephoto. also 1.4 extender. works great.

Pete, I do not have it (unfortunately), but from just the reviews and photos I have seen with it would highly recommend it. Economically, for bird photography, I think the Canon 75-300mmIS (definitely use lenses only with IS) is the best. The optics were supposedly recently improved after Canon had receive complaints. I have seen a number of photos with this lens (on another forum I belong to, a non-birding forum), and they were nothing short of superb.

I have not gotten the 10D as it would be useless to me without the 600mmIS lens. But since that is ONLY $7,000 -ish, I can hold off for now. I would also buy the 2X entender for it.

75-300 lens

bcurrie said:
Pete, I do not have it (unfortunately), but from just the reviews and photos I have seen with it would highly recommend it. Economically, for bird photography, I think the Canon 75-300mmIS (definitely use lenses only with IS) is the best. The optics were supposedly recently improved after Canon had receive complaints. I have seen a number of photos with this lens (on another forum I belong to, a non-birding forum), and they were nothing short of superb.

Are you talking about the 75-300mm 4.0-5.6 IS USM lens? That is likely the one I would use for now, but have been unable to determine if the 2x extender will fit anything other than the L series lens.

That sounds great

jvhigbee said:
Have 10D about a week. Using 100/400L IS telephoto. also 1.4 extender. works great.

Don't think i can afford the L series lens right now, but that would be my pick if i could afford it! I know you will enjoy it.

Lots of lenses!

paulh said:
Just got ours yesterday evening and been trying them out today.

So far we've mostly been using a Canon 75-300mm IS zoom and a Canon 400L, but we've also tested the 10Ds out on our Canon 28-105mm zoom, Sigma 28-200mm and a Sigma 75-300mm zoom which all seem to work OK, although the Sigma 28-200 wouldn't work with an EOS 1V.

We've also got a Sigma 175-500mm zoom which won't work at all with the 10D.

With all of those lenses, you could send me one and i could continue to save up for the L series lens!

Pete, that is the lens I am referring to. I do not know if the extender will fit that one, but a good photography equipment shop will know.

Hi Pete,
I've had my 10D for about 3 weeks now and in general I'm very pleased with it. Just watch for over exposure though, highlights can very easily be blown out. The lenses I use mainly are the 100-400 IS, 300 F4 IS and 28-135 IS. Another quality lens at a very reasonable s/h price is the 80-200mm 2.8L, it's just a shame that it can't be used with the extenders.

How interesting all this is......I wonder if anyone can tell me if the 10D really is better at focussing quickly, I would like to get into flight photography and find the AF of the D60 so slow to catch on.
Will the AF still work with a 1.4 teleconverter ? Would that be a good thing to get for static birds, I must say, I would like a bit more magnification with my 100-400.
(Am saving up for 500mm 4.5 IS......I am sure the best way would be to buy it in the USA and take it to some marvellous wildlife reserve and use it straigt away. Anyone feels like joining me on a trip like that, some time later in the year/next year?

i was wondering, my son had a digital camera that i have used at times, great shots but the shutter responce is slow compaired to me OM2 SLR. i have used mine for all sorts of shots & you can take fast pictures with it in a very short time, somethong the digital seems to lack or be slow on. can anyone tell me if this only applies to the older models (over a year old that is).
thanks

paula, wizard,

I moved from an EOS 1V to the EOS 10D about 4 weeks ago. I can't say I've noticed any difference in focussing speed. The 10D has been as responsive as the 1V so far. The main difference as far as I'm concerned is the lack of spot metering in the 10D and it also has fewer focussing points than the 1V. However this is offset by the superb image quality (far better than anything we could get using traditional film and a scanner). We're finding that we don't need to use any software manipulation (sharpening, colour balancing etc) beyond the normal cropping and resizing.

paulh uses the 100-400 L USM IS lens with his 10D - you don't get AF with either the 1.4x or 2x converters but the IS does still work.

My main lens is a Canon L series 400mm which was fully compatible with the 1V when used with a 1.4x but the AF doesn't seem to work with the 10D. However there is a fault with the lens and it's currently in for repair. Jessops tell me it may require a chip upgrade to allow the 10D to use AF with the 1.4x or it might just be part of the same problem that's put it in the repair shop. If you like I'll let you know what happens when I get it back from the shop.

Helen

I was quoted above as using a 1.4 extender with my 10D and 100/400 lens, but I was probably half asleep or something. What I have is an inexpensive 1.5 teleconverter made by Kenko. (Full name C-AF 1.15x Teleplus SHQ) The reason I bring this out is that I am able to use the autofocus capabilities of camera and lens with it with no apparent difference from the lens alone. This was true with my Elan7e also, although with it I sometimes had some serious vignetting. On the 10D I can detect no difference in quality at all.
Regarding focus and metering on 10D, I do note a slowness to lock focus as compared to the Elan7e and I fully agree with the need to watch for overexposure and highlight blowout. Sometimes I get shots where highs are blown but rest of picture is dark and like it has a gray film over it. Likely something I am doing but as yet don't know what.
Joe

I have a D30 with a 75-300 IS and some times use a x2 adapter. All Canon cameras there is a max apeture figure the AF will work with. With the 75-300IS and a x2 adapter the AF does not work. A x2 adapter may work with one of the "L" lenses if they have a larger (smaller number) apature.
The photos from this set up are good (see www.bird-photos.co.uk ) though when I used it with a daylight lense they where crap.
Phil

Haven't seen any recent comments on the Canon 10D. Is everyone happy?

I'm looking at getting this for "field work" as the Kowa 823M and Nikon 4500 with tripod are very difficult for me to transport around the local woodlands looking for birds.

Chris. Spratt

I've had the 10D, the 100-400L & Canon 1.4TC for a few months now. If you tape the pins correctly, the AF will still work with the TC. It won't work very well, but it does work.

Now I'm thinking about a 500mm. I can afford it, but can I justify it?

As for a focus speed and flight photography.... Well, I find that it works for slower moving birds, but faster things it seems to fall down. The AF often seeks on the slower bird (like a turn) and then I loose the bird. Maybe with more time I'll get better at it. Maybe not.

Eric

eric s said:
I've had the 10D, the 100-400L & Canon 1.4TC for a few months now. If you tape the pins correctly, the AF will still work with the TC. It won't work very well, but it does work.
Eric

I though the Canon 1.4TC was supposed to work (AF wise) with the 100-400L.

Chris. Spratt

Chris -- according to Canon, AF does not work in the 100-400 with a TC.

Eric S -- Do you find that AF works better on flyingbirds without the TC?

Glen

I've not really had any problems with that combination - at least none that can't be put down to cack-handedness and failure to track the bird properly.

The one thing that does throw the AF is a flock of birds crossing each other in flight. It tries to track on different birds as they cross in front of the focusing zone. But that's pretty much what I'd expect to happen.

Now all I need is a laser-guided, gyro-stabilised head and shoulders for tracking things like swifts!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back