• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-legged Crake and Hooded Pitta in Singapore Botanic Gardens (1 Viewer)

simmojunior

Hi everyone,

I am working in Singapore about ten minutes walk from Tanglin gate of the botanic gardens so am planning a couple of pre-work visits. I'll probably have a maximum of around an hour.

Does anyone have any tips? Specifically any information over where I might find Red-legged Crake or Hooded Pitta?

I visited yesterday afternoon for two hours and managed a lifer in the form of a Crimson Sunbird. Other birds seen included Stork-billed Kingfisher, Pink-necked Green Pigeon and White-breasted Waterhen.

I'm planning on being in Singapore for a day's visit in mid September before going to Borneo on a Wings tour. My plan is to visit the Botanic Gardens also. Any posts here will help.

Have you checked out singaporebirdgroup on the web? They have free apps for android and apple, bird news and lots of alternative places to visit.

Have you checked out singaporebirdgroup on the web? They have free apps for android and apple, bird news and lots of alternative places to visit.

Their website is well worth a look.

When I was in Singapore in 2008 I took a taxi from my hotel to the Botanic Gardens and spent a few hours there. The birds were an interesting mixture of the familiar, such as Tree Sparrow and Brahminy Kite, and species new for me, such as White-breasted Waterhen and Tiger Shrike. My afternoon finished with a heavy downpour, but there was shelter at the entrance in which to wait for a taxi.

Hi everyone,

I am working in Singapore about ten minutes walk from Tanglin gate of the botanic gardens so am planning a couple of pre-work visits. I'll probably have a maximum of around an hour.

Does anyone have any tips? Specifically any information over where I might find Red-legged Crake or Hooded Pitta?

I visited yesterday afternoon for two hours and managed a lifer in the form of a Crimson Sunbird. Other birds seen included Stork-billed Kingfisher, Pink-necked Green Pigeon and White-breasted Waterhen.

For Red-legged Crake, try Healing Garden. I had recently seen one in the Heliconda patch somewhere in between the Orchid Garden and the Symphony Lake. Someone had also seen it inside the rainforest.

As for Hooded Pitta, it is still early. They should start arriving in October. Try look for them at Ginger Garden patch near to the pond.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back