• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Harrier from Germany, Odenwald, 04.05.2020. (1 Viewer)

Hi all,
Please can you help me with this Harrier identification?
Thanks in advance.
Greetings
Peter

Attachments

• P1155131 (1).JPG
    P1155131 (1).JPG
    349 KB · Views: 86
  • P1155132.JPG
    P1155132.JPG
    376 KB · Views: 117
  • P1155140.JPG
    P1155140.JPG
    556.8 KB · Views: 83
  • P1155142.JPG
    P1155142.JPG
    586.2 KB · Views: 122
  • P1155143.JPG
    P1155143.JPG
    572.6 KB · Views: 108
second cy Monty: lot of white around eye, no collar, inner primaries with dark tips

Attachments

• circus.JPG
    circus.JPG
    717.6 KB · Views: 97
I agree

That said when I visited the migration watchpoint at Gruissan the rule of thumb they used for Months Pallid split was dark secondaries light primaries on the trailing edge = rule of thumb dark then light. I am not disputing this id in any way just highlighting the difficulty with this species. Imagine on a migration watchpoint with two birds that I would struggle to split without photos. It was just interesting. I should add that I failed to identify my first Pallid Harrier and only did so when someone else photographed it a month later!

Fortunately we have Tom and other experts like him for these birds...

I agree

That said when I visited the migration watchpoint at Gruissan the rule of thumb they used for Months Pallid split was dark secondaries light primaries on the trailing edge = rule of thumb dark then light. I am not disputing this id in any way just highlighting the difficulty with this species. Imagine on a migration watchpoint with two birds that I would struggle to split without photos. It was just interesting. I should add that I failed to identify my first Pallid Harrier and only did so when someone else photographed it a month later!

Fortunately we have Tom and other experts like him for these birds...

This rule of thumb is absolutely perfect for adult birds, Pallid will keep a very well visible two toned wing: dark secondaries and light primaries. Unfortunately juv Montys have even darker secondaries and they return from Africa with more or less moulted body (looking like adults) and juvenile flight feathers, hence the pitfall in spring

I am no expert but the long slim profile is suggestive of Monty, and dark edging to underwing primaries / fingers seen in final photo would rule out Pallid wouldn't it?

I am no expert but the long slim profile is suggestive of Monty, and dark edging to underwing primaries / fingers seen in final photo would rule out Pallid wouldn't it?

Correct, especially the dark tips of inner primaries are a very good feature, whereas some Montys show barred tips of fingers, also some bleached second calendar year Montys (juvenile feathers under equatorial sun) show very faded tips to inner primaries

Correct, especially the dark tips of inner primaries are a very good feature, whereas some Montys show barred tips of fingers, also some bleached second calendar year Montys (juvenile feathers under equatorial sun) show very faded tips to inner primaries

Appreciated Tom, thank you:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back