• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Velbon Sherpa QR plate (1 Viewer)

Dancat

I have a Velbon Sherpa 200r tripod. The quick release plate keeps loosening with normal use and I'm afraid my scope will fall right off. A plate with the additional button (not sure what its called) would be useful, but I'm not sure which ones would fit on the head. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Hi Dancat,
I have the same problem with this Velbon item, so please keep us posted if you find a solution.
It was suggested in another thread that a washer between the plate and the scope is helpful. That seemed implausible to me and I've not yet had an occasion to try it, but it is the only remedy I've seen mentioned.

Hi,

while I don't have that specific tripod, a piece of an old bicycle tube cut to the size of the tripod foot has helped with that problem... probably a similar effect as the washer (accommodating a too long screw) with additional grip.

Joachim

The only solution I've ever found is to tighten the screw using pliers or push a screw driver through the locking pin for extra leverage to tighten it!

My scope did actually fall off the tripod once as I carried it on my shoulder.

Andy

Last edited:
The only solution I've ever found is to tighten the screw using pliers or push a screw driver through the locking pin for extra leverage to tighten it!

Andy

Sadly the plastic housing of my Nikon ED50 prohibits this approach.

Andy

Please take care that the screw thread is not too long for the tripod foot or expensive damage may result.

Last edited:
I had the same problem with my Velbon 200R and Leica Televid APO77 scope.
As I am never expecting to change either, I took the decision to Araldite the plate on with the screw tightened up.
This might seem a bit radical, but I know there is no way my beloved scope can come off the plate and go crashing to the ground!!
Sandy.

Dan - there is a QR plate for the PH157 head that has a locating pin. It is an option of course, not the standard fit. An image of that plate is shown here:

http://www.velbon.co.uk/qra.html

You can contact our head office in Huntersville, NC and ask them to order one in for you. Email [email protected] or call 704 895 3046.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Thank you, Peter, very useful guidance indeed.
I contacted your office as you suggested and the administrator, Michaela Burgess, helped me order the item.

Problem solved for $24 plus $3 shipping.
Could you people maybe please branch out into home maintenance? I have issues.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back