• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baader Hyperion Zoom and Swarovski ATS80HD (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
Does anyone know if these two are compatible, using an astro adapter that accepts astro eyepieces on the Swaro scope?

Sancho.....The ZEN zoom was tested by Henry link,on the ZEN scope,and He found it to be every bit as good as the Swaro..I asked the same question in a different thread recently..Is the Hyperion any better than the ZEN zoom or the Swaro...?...Do you own the 25-50X and You need more power?,,Then the ZEN would be a bit cheaper than a Swaro 20-60X,but maybe not that much considering I have seen MANY Swaros going in the 175-200 Euros in this forum(there is one right now for sale,for something like that..)..Another option I can suggest..is this ..(See attachment)..I Had the ZEN adapter for astronomy,and with the help of a machinist and for very little money,I converted the thread to Nikon pass,and use now a Nikon 38X in the ZEN ED...Very good eyepiece!!!!...
I know You own the 25-75X Nikon Zoom..this solution would allow you to use it in your Swaro scope...You probably can get one for very little buying from ZEN RAY,and the machinist work was only 10 Euros...Well,,,maybe I ask Charles to send Me one and get it done for You,If You want...but only if You behave PROPERLY and promise Me that You will help Old people to cross the street few times every week..(couple times a month would Do )

Attachments

• IMG_3905.JPG
    IMG_3905.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
out of curiosity, why? the Swaro zoom is already phenomenal.

A caprice, no more. I already have the excellent Swaro 25-50 zoom. I used to have a Baader Zoom on a Zeiss 85mm scope, and loved the zoom. It occurred to me that with an astro eyepiece adapter, there's no reason why a Baader shouldn't fit the Swaro scope, giving a wide-field zoom up to 60x.

I know You own the 25-75X Nikon Zoom..this solution would allow you to use it in your Swaro scope...You probably can get one for very little buying from ZEN RAY,and the machinist work was only 10 Euros...Well,,,maybe I ask Charles to send Me one and get it done for You,If You want...but only if You behave PROPERLY and promise Me that You will help Old people to cross the street few times every week..(couple times a month would Do )

Now that's an even wilder idea. I have a Nikon 30x MC ep too, bought 2nd-hand, and the previous owner did just that (i.e., filed off the last two threads to make it fit an astro-scope). If I filed off a few threads from my 25-75x Nikon, I could fit it to the Swaro. Very narrow for seawatching, though, and I'm not sure if I can be trusted with sharp objects without Parental Supervision.

Sancho,

My recollection is that the Baader will not reach focus on the Swarovski. If it did, the magnification range would be about 19-58x. If the Nikon zoom can be made to fit and reach focus its magnification range on the Swarovski would be about 22-66x, not 25-75x, because the Swarovski focal length is shorter than the Nikon 80ED.

Henry

Éanna...THe eyepiece that You have,the 20X-30X-38X was NOT filed...I know becasue I saw the eyepiece,and it is the same model I have.. nikon Eyepieces have only three rows of thread,I was just told by a guy in the forum,when I asked about differences between Nikon 7463 eyepieces different versions..It has a smooth area at the bottom of the threads,but that was there by design...maybe the guy that sold It to You,got it used,and He didnt know..I didnt modify my eyepiece either...I use an adapter to fit the ZEN bayonet.
I really need to get You one of these adapters made,as That eyepiece ,the 20X-30X-38X is really fantastic in all respects,and i think you would enjoy It in your Swarovski..A wonderful Sea watching eyepiece with the 72 degrees,and the respectable 38X power!
Now Henry...How about ZEN ED82 vs NIKON ED82,in terms of focal length---?
How much magnification the 38X Nikon is giving me in the ZEN,?..I can tell that is noticeably larger (the image) than the 30X WW Swaro..but then...Is the 30X swaro giving 30X in the ZEN?

Last edited:
nikon zoom is I believe 21mm - 7mm, and Henry stated in his review that the focal length of the ZR scope is 464mm (same as the Swaro ATS/ATM scopes). Doing a little backwards arithmetic looks like the Nikon ED82 is about 525mm focal length.

So the 38x is about a 14mm eyepiece, an would give about 33-34x on the Zen-Ray or Swaro.

I would have to look for the Nikon 50X WA to experience 44X in the ZEN..That could be really nice...
Back to Sancho´s motivations to experience with another Zoom,while already owning an excellent one....It is interesting How two pieces that are seem similar visually,create such different projections...the Swarovski,no matter how close or far I set my camera(canon A590IS),needs to zoom 1 or 1.5 times to avoid vignetting,while the nikon can cover the whole screen with the right eye relief adjusted..
I guess that difference makes less meaningful to point that He already owns a superb eyepiece,when rosponding to His need to try another one,or two question If This eyepiece is better than That One...
Ah ,,,,,Perception!

So I asked Baader if the mark iv will fit the at80/ats and they answered the eyepiece is just too big to fit the Swaro's bayonet :(

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back