• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Books? (1 Viewer)

Hi all,
I need a book for identification of british Odonata, any one that is particularly useful for this?

ThanksB :)

Hi Josh,

Steve Brooks & Richard Lewington's 'Field Guide to the Dragonflies and Damselflies of Great Britain and Ireland' (ISBN 0-953-13990-5) is my weapon of choice. I would rate this book higher than any others on the market currently.

Regards
B

I'll second that choice. I've had it for a little over a year and it's really helped me get my bearings with the dragons and damsels.

Lewington/brooks is the way to go...[Dan Powell if you want to get a real 'feel' for dragons..very artisic/inspirational paintings]. Personally i'm not goin to replace my out of date lewington guide..[Britain n Ireland]....coz the way things are goin i reckon the European guide is essential! Probably too many species for the complete beginner tho....

Cheers guys...

Username- I'm not a complete beginner ;) Know most of the common ones, just want to learn more about IDing and the ecology of some others.
Thanks B :)

I will 'fifth' the recommendation of the Brooks/Lewington book. The european book doesn't cover the particular environments used in Britain and most of the species that are in it that aren't in the British book aren't likely to get here (for some while). I also like the Swash/Smallshire book but find the images too small to use in the field (possibly something to do with age|=)|

Does "Britain & Ireland" cover Willow and Southern Emerald, both in Suffolk at the moment. I brought "Britain & Europe" as it was the only one to cover Small Red-eyed Damselfly I could find. Best avoided as a first guide but worthwhile if you want future proofing.

Does "Britain & Ireland" cover Willow and Southern Emerald, both in Suffolk at the moment. I brought "Britain & Europe" as it was the only one to cover Small Red-eyed Damselfly I could find. Best avoided as a first guide but worthwhile if you want future proofing.

Page 66 in the Brooks and Lewington has text for both Willow and Southern Emerald damselfly. Page 67 has illustrations

page 96 has Small red eyed damselfly

Cheers guys...

Username- I'm not a complete beginner ;) Know most of the common ones, just want to learn more about IDing and the ecology of some others.
Thanks B :)

[Chuckle].....no insult intended Josh;)

ps....will check out field guides at birdfair on friday...not sure what is or isn't in latest edition of Lewington/brooks...tho i think someone said southern and willow emerald are in there? Is winter damselfly in latest edition?..i know not...!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back