• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-Throated Divers... (1 Viewer)

Darkus_Markus

Hi All,

I had a thread on here asking advice for viewing BTD's back in Jan last year (a big thanks to all those who responded.)

Since then I've had some fantastic views. In the search for BTD's I've had some great views of GND and RTD but they were always rather fleeting.

With that in mind I plan to Holiday in Shetland next year and wondered if anyone could recommend the peak time for observing Red Throats ? my current thinking is the last week of May / first week of June.

I haven't fully finished my research yet so am also considering Iceland (south west) / Tromsø and am of course open to any other suggestions.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

Tromsø is exceptional for Close viewing and photographing Red Throated Divers. "Prestvannet" is a lake in a park in the centre of Tromsø town and has up to 9 or ten nesting pairs every year. Ist week in june is a little early as the ice may not of melted. ist week in july would be safe. A bonus is the prescence of displaying Ruff on the east end of the lake.
BUT Tromsø is (like the Whole of Norway) horribly expensive!!
Maybe Shetland is more affordable but Tromsø gives unrivled chances for Close and confident nesting Red Throats.

Peter

Tromsø is exceptional for Close viewing and photographing Red Throated Divers. "Prestvannet" is a lake in a park in the centre of Tromsø town and has up to 9 or ten nesting pairs every year. Ist week in june is a little early as the ice may not of melted. ist week in july would be safe. A bonus is the prescence of displaying Ruff on the east end of the lake.
BUT Tromsø is (like the Whole of Norway) horribly expensive!!
Maybe Shetland is more affordable but Tromsø gives unrivled chances for Close and confident nesting Red Throats.

Peter

Remember being surprised to see them in the park in the centre of Tromso. We were just walking around the shops and went to the park to see if there were any birds.
Thought I was seeing things and had to double check they were indeed Red Throated Diver.
I hadn't done any research beforehand so I was amazed to see them there.

Thanks all, very useful info. After some other research I'm thinking Tromsø might be the place.
Distance wise everything looks very compact, so could hire a cycle and explore the surrounding area.

Looks a lovely place.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back