• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Framing Printed Photos (1 Viewer)

fishercl

Christine
I have been asked to put a couple of my bird photos in a local library, so now I have the task of mounting and framing them. I have seen that other photographers use frames that are 16 x 20, with a mat of a few inches. That makes the photo around 13 x 17 or so, although there is definitely some flexibility there. One of the shots I want to frame is of a hummingbird. I have this weird thought in my head that it doesn't make sense to have a huge photo of a hummingbird when they are such small delicate creatures. The other shot I want to frame is a Blue Jay, which I would have no problem doing as an 8 x 10 given the actual size of the bird. I'm just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on appropriate printed/frame photo sizes for birds.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 13278Hummingbird_MG_1475-Web.gif
    13278Hummingbird_MG_1475-Web.gif
    191.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 13278Blue-Jay-looking-right-in-s.gif
    13278Blue-Jay-looking-right-in-s.gif
    198.3 KB · Views: 144
I know what you mean about making a print of an object that is larger than lifesize. It does seem a little strange, but I don't see anything wrong with it. In fact, macro photography often does this and no one questions it. I say do it.

Along somewhat similar lines, I've seen prints of artwork that are actually larger than the original paintings. For example, some Bierstadt scenic paintings are actually quite small (like 12 inches by 9), but you see huge prints of them. This seems somewhat more questionable to me.

Photographically speaking, most exhibitions are usually on 20x16 mounts regardless of the size of the print. anything from 7x5 (though 8x10 is better) up to the size of the mount is OK, it is also considered quite acceptable for prints to vary in size and even the way they are positioned on the mount.

Excelent shots by the way.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back