• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Birder, looking for info. (1 Viewer)

James Vee

Hey everyone. I'm currently in an Ornithology class and looking for a spreadsheet set-up that might help me to keep track of all of the different birds I've been seeing. Are there any particular set-ups that you guys would recommend?

Hi James and welcome to Birdforum from the Moderators and Admin staff.
I'm sure you'll get plenty of help with your query and in the meantime it may be worth using the forum search facility to locate the sort of info you require.

You might want to check with Wisconsin's IOU to see if they have a spread sheet of Wisconsin's birds. If not, post a message to Wisconsin's birding list serve and ask if anyone would be willing to share their spreadsheet.

For example, several individuals in Iowa have made their spreadsheet of Iowa Birds available.

A list of all the American Birding Assn. birds is available thru an individual who developed a spreadsheet with their permission. I believe I still have the link and would be glad to provide it. I also modified the spreadsheet so it would fit and my PDA and would be glad to send it to you as an e-mail attachment. Also, the modified PDA spreadsheet may work better as a listing device as the original contains detail that may not be needed for listing.

Bob D

Thanks for the replies. Bob, I'm currently using Peterson's Field Guide for Eastern and North-Central America for identification of birds that I don't know. I have not yet been to the Wisconsin Bird IOU website, but I will do a search for it after class today. It wouldn't take long to whip up my own spreadsheet either, but I'd like to get an idea of what some other people who have been watching birds for many years thinks works best. Do they include wind, cloud conditions, time of day, barometric pressure, temperature, etc.? You get the idea. If you could provide me with that link, feel free to email me. I believe my email is posted.

James,
I use an Access Data base that I put together. It doesn't have near the amount of info that you would use for studies though. Species, family, date, location, and then comments where I just add anything of interest that the bird was doing.

The AOU publishes their list on line at their website. Also Ornitaxa website has the best updated world list I could find on line.

About 6 months ago I started a similar thread and here is a link to those responses: List keeping

There are other good field guides out there as well: Sibley, National Geogrpahic, and more.

For list keeping, i do a Word document for listing species that I've seen; I do an Excel spreadsheet with Common Name, Scientific Name, Location(s), Date of First Sighting, Whether you captured it on camera, Identifying Mark 1 and Identifying Mark 2 (These two columns are the identifying marks that lead to the correct ID; for example, for Hairy Woodpecker, it could be Big Size, and large beak.), and two columns for the sex, "Male Seen?" and "Female Seen?".

Of course, other people have other ways of spreadsheeting their birds.

The Excel spread sheet that I'm using lists each species. I have a life list column, yard column and year column in which I place the date seen. I do not include any other information.

The key reason is that I'm using it on my PDA and column width is limited.

On my main computer I use AviSys software which allows detailed information to be listed. Unfortunately, unless I've missed it, Avisys for PDA is support only on Palm type devices, not Pocket PC which is what I use.

Bob

Hi James,

Welcome to BirdForum!

I'd agree with Gthang, the Sibley and the National Geographic field guides are well worth getting too.

There's various special birding databases you can buy, but unless you're a Texan oil millionaire, best to forget about them. Do as Gthang suggests, and use excel.

Michael

James Vee said:
Do you include wind, cloud conditions, time of day, barometric pressure, temperature, etc.?
Ooops - sorry, missed this bit!

Depends on the situation! - a lot of the time, when watching resident or breeding birds, no.

But if you're observing weather-dependent activities like active migration, then yes, it is very useful to note down the weather conditions. Wind direction and strength are probably the most important, followed by rainfall and visibility.

Temperature is worth noting if it is below zero, as ice affects what birds do; also note whether just a slight freeze (e.g. a ground frost with the air temperature above zero), or fully frozen with no or very little open fresh water.

Michael

I decided to make a spreadsheet here is how I have it set up.

On the top will list in this order: Date, Common Name, Order, Family, Number Seen, Sex, Time of Day, Clouds Cover, Time of Day, Wind and Temperature.

James,
I also include several location fields; City (or NWR etc), State, and Country. This is really helpful later looking at distributions and frequency as well as when I want to download a list such as State or Country. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the welcomes and helpful replies.

Dave, our class requirement is only for one location, but I may use the feeder at my home as a second location. Spring is just around the corner here and it's interesting to watch the numbers of new bird sightings increase daily.

I'm probably going to get more bird books as I get into it more. I'll check out the references by National Geographic and others as mentioned.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back