• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do American Migrants to UK make it back. (1 Viewer)

jtwood

With the large numbers of American Waders arriving in Britain on the back of the Westerly Gales I was wondering if there is evidence of these birds returning back across the Atlantic. Here in Shetland we have had a number of migrants from the West over the past week and with continuing strong west winds what is the most likely fate of these birds?

Most will perish, but a small number may survive & overwinter, then head north again in the spring. It is highly unlikely that vagrant birds will be able to reorientate & most likely will travel north into Europe.

As far as I know there have been no records of either waders or passerines making iy back across the Atlantic but it's likely some ducks do and there is at least one record of Ring-billed Gull returning.

Chris

Plus there are the proven yanks breeding this side of the Atlantic - 4 species

Spotted Sandpiper in Scotland
Killdeer on the Azores (?)
Um, maybe someone else can fill in on the other two ... (one of which may be Pec Sand, which could have come from the other direction if so).

?

And the (statistically interesting?) numbers of spring adult american waders on the UK East coast in spring. Heard that this equates to the strategy in the US of northward migrating shorebirds following the eastern seaboard on their way north. Whether these shorebirds can then reorientate to the west, or head to Scandinavia/get lost in the N Atlantic ?

Lots of first year birds obviously die in their first year. Whether the Sahara is a bit more of a surprise to lost yanks migrating north/south than the species that naturally occur as breeding species on this side of the pond is maybe relevant to this overall survival.

How would they monitor if they have gone back? Would the vagrants be ringed?

As far as I know there have been no records of either waders or passerines making iy back across the Atlantic but it's likely some ducks do and there is at least one record of Ring-billed Gull returning.

Chris

Great topic!

With the large numbers of American Waders arriving in Britain on the back of the Westerly Gales I was wondering if there is evidence of these birds returning back across the Atlantic. Here in Shetland we have had a number of migrants from the West over the past week and with continuing strong west winds what is the most likely fate of these birds?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back