• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do I start? (1 Viewer)

Angela

If anyone has read any of my previous posts, you will know that I am very much a novice at this and so far I have only been watching the birds in my garden.

I just wondered though, if I were to go out some where locally and try to spot a few different birds, how would I go about it? You all seem so knowledgeable, I have to look everything I haven't seen before up in my book. I can't tell you how excited I was when I saw my one and only waxwing, that is probably the highlight of my bird watching so far.

It isn't something that generally gets discussed at toddler groups etc so I don't really have anyone to share my new found interest with.

Do you have an idea of what you might see in mind when you go out? I'm sure I would be frantically flicking through my book all the time trying to identify everything I saw, do you all recognise things straight off?

I'd love to be able to do this a bit more seriously but time and kids make things quite hard, but if I can get out for an hour or so, what shall I do?

I've taken some comfort from a comment that El Annie made, about having to use a book to identify a blue tit. Hopefully that means I can improve as well.

Everyone starts out in the same position, knowledge is gained through experience.

There are loads of groups around the country that can help, the national groups like the RSPB are the best ways to go. Kent has a number of very good reserves like Dungeness and church/blean wood, As well as local RSPB members groups that have members of all levels, and usually have trips to other places and people willing to help beginners.

Good luck, its a great hobby to get into, and toddlers love looking at birds (try ducks first easy to see and get close to).

I bought the Bill Oddie book on birdwatching for beginners and joined a local group. Then I joined BF!

I used to wonder at the names of the birds I'd seen in the countryside & on the way to work, so bought an id book (about a year ago). Then went to a local reserve, followed by joining the RSPB.

After a while you may get to know a few regulars at the reserve and get talking etc. so id skills can improve that way as well.

Can't help but improve really once you go out and about a few times.

I'd readily add that I'd need the id book for a Waxwing as I've never seen one of them.

If you're happy going out with a group, great - if not, but you don't want to be alone, there are various Further Education (Evening Classes) opportunities - ask at the local library. The RSPB publish a book with the most common 200 or so species in the UK (though I doubt you'll find Waxwing in it - took me seven years to see my first one !), which is good for beginners, and armed with this, a pair of bins and a packet of sarnies (vitally important), off you go.

Woodland at this time of year can be very confusing for a beginner (or indeed anyone) - lots of flitting movement, nothing keeps still, and you're surrounded by songs.

As Ashley says, ducks are great for beginners - you can sit by a pond or mere, kids on the grass, bins in your hand, and study the swimmers to your hearts content. They'll be in breeding plumage now, and should look just like the pics in the book (the brown ones are female).

The more birds you can id, the more confident you'll feel - and sound, when someone else asks you to identify something for them. Best of luck, and enjoy yourself. You've got the main ingredient, anyway - enthusiasm.

Tony

In addition to all the great advice you've been given already, let me add, "If you've got access to id books, then look at them."

I don't mean trawling through all the details - although do this as well if you wish - but just look at the pictures.

That way you will store a surprising amount of knowledge, probably without realising.

It probably sounds stupid to say this, but ducks look like ducks, gulls look like gulls, tits look like tits, and so on and so on.

It doesn't matter if you need to use a book to confirm the id of blue tit as opposed to a coal tit, for example, but you will begin to get the hang of what things generally are, or at least are not.

As you keep birding, you keep learning.

If you are looking for somewhere to go, apart from asking for suggestions from other BFers, why not see if you can borrow or buy a copy of "Where to Watch Birds in Kent". The "Where to Watch" books give a whole host of information about what can be seen locally. They will take a little bit of reading so that your first trips aren't out of season, but you will soon find you favourite haunts.

Now yes, there are experts on BF (I'm by no means one of them), but as Ashley says, we all started from the same place.

Enjoy!

(PS. By the way, I would recognise a Waxwing if I saw one, but after 12 years, I haven't tracked one down yet!!!)

Hi Angela

One problem with trying to identify new birds in the field (or garden) from books is that you end up spending more time looking through the book and far less at the actual birds (and ther are often gone by the time you try finding it again).

You might find it more useful spend longer looking at the unidentified bird before going to the reference book. The longer you watch the better mental picture of the bird you will have, try and make notes / sketches on the look and sound of the bird, then refer to the guide book.

Paul

You have got the basic need sorted, that is your enthusiasm! I simply joined lots of societies and the county society too in order to increase my knowledge of local birding sites. The most helpful thing to me in all I have done in my life has been to read and read endlessly. This helps a lot. This forum will help you massively, just do not be shy to ask anything at all! Don't ask me for cooking recipes though!

One final point (from me, anyway) - please keep us up to date with all your trips, sightings and frustrations - and keep asking questions, we'll do our best to help. Since you're not on-line at present, I assume you and the kids are out looking for owls ?

Tony

Hi Angela,

I must say that Paul's statements are dead right. I lead a beginners bird walk each year. The first thing I tell those present is to study the bird as long as possible BEFORE going to the book. The bird won't wait around posing for you unless you're very lucky!

Does the bird seem bigger or smaller than a bird you are very familiar with? Does it have a bill that seems more suited to seeds(conical) or catching insects(pointy)? Does it hop on the ground or walk? Does it have a prominent strip over its eye or on its wing? Some birds have a habit of dipping their tails repeatedly or flying from a branch and returning to the same spot over and over(flycatchers). There are many clues to help identify a bird. Just take your time studying them and before you know it you will be able to identify many with just a glance.

optional.... Start a list of every new bird you see. But be careful, it can become addictive!

good health and good birds,
dennis

Hi Angela, for what it's worth, I've posted a short guide to birdwatching for beginners as a new thread. I wrote it last year for a year 7 environment camp I was involved with, as an introduction to some of the skills of birdwatching. Some of its content has an Australian focus, but is still relevant.

I hope it is of some help.

Goodness Angela, when I see a new bird, even now, I still go from one guide to another frantically trying to pinpoint what I saw. Andrew is very correct. You have enthusiasim and that is the best trait of all to get started.

Hi Angela,

I am also Kent based and have been birding quite a while down here. I have an old copy of where to watch birds in Kent, Sussex and Surrey that is just taking up space on my bookcase (I have a newer version but most of the stuff in the old one still holds true - except the sites for willow tit and lesser spotted woodpecker :-( )

I'd be happy to post it to you if you want to send me an address via the message thingy on here.

I might also be able to suggest a few more child friendly places to go as I am the lucky owner of one semi feral two year old! I'm down in SE Kent so don't know a huge amount about N or W Kent. In fact much to my shame I probably know most of Norfolk and Cornwall (birding meccas and nearly as good as Kent) just as well!

Ivan

Hi again Angela. Try getting in touch with the Maidstone RSPB grouo - there is some information on them at http://www.vidler23.freeserve.co.uk/ . Also the Kent Wildlife Trust runs lots of events (not just about birds) - see http://www.kentwildlife.org.uk/events/index.htm. Some of these are suitable for families.

There are so many good places to bird in Kent and with a species list of over 400 there's plenty to look for! If you are looking for somewhere to go very local Mote Park is worth a visit - if you can find a quiet area.

Finally, if you trying to identify a bird and there is a birder nearby ask. Most will be only to happy to help - I shall be looking out for the harrassed lady with 3 kids in tow.

Angela,

in the beginning I got sometimes so frustrated - I thought I´ll never be any good at it.
But I read a lot at home and looked at all the pictures in the guides and so step by step I got into the different groups, i.e. warblers, thrushes and so on.
Also I found it very helpful to listen to CDs with bird songs and voices. (never mind the husband´s comments in the background).

It is a wonderful hobby and I look forward hearing how you get on.

the best way to learn is to get people to help you. books can only be so helpful, but actually seeing the bird and getting someone with a bit of experience to help you is definately the best way. my best advice would be to join a group, as you can see from this site, every one wants to help a beginner!

Hi Angela
Try to find a good birding partner, one that is knowledgeable about your particular area, as mentioned in some of the other threads people are eager to help a beginner. Dont feel a burden to your partner as you will find that they are as enthusiastic as you to go with someone else.
I have found a few gems as partners, because they have local knowledge, they have a good idea what they are going to see and they can spot birds just by hearing their call or song. When I go on my own I bet I dont see half the birds I could, a good birder hears a different song and knows which bird is in a tree before they actually see it. In a relatively short space of time your senses become more tuned and your birding experience is hightened.
Hope this helps
Gwynne

Hi Angela

Your best bet is to have a good bird book and several different feeders in your garden and familiarise yourself with all your garden visitors! Most of these birds will be fairly common wherever you go and it will help you enormously if you can identify them at a glance. Make a mental note of size, colours, shape, habits, flight pattern and song and you will soon be able to identify, with confidence, even the briefest sighting of a silhouette! Honest!

Armed with this knowledge, you will then have something to compare with once you see an unfamiliar species on your travels.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on! We are all here to help. :t:

I lead a walk once a month for Kent Wildlife Trust and there are many others and you would be more than welcome to come along. Mine are very informal, just having a wander about and seeing what we can see, certainly nothing clever clogs.

Robin gave you the link or I can send you an events program.

Thank you so much for all your messages, I can't get over how helpful you all are.

My main problem I think is that I will find it very difficult to get out and about on my own, without the children. My partner works long hours so I'm normally here on my own - which is probably why I started taking such an interest in what was going on in the garden.

It is nice to know that people would be willing to give me some help should I ever cross their path. I think it would be a bit unfair of me though to turn up somewhere with 3 kids in tow, and expect you to put up with us all. My children are very good at being noisy just when you want them to be quiet!

I will keep studying the book that I have got and I will look into getting a few more to help me. I am happy to say that I can identify by sight all the birds that have visited by garden, but flight patterns and songs are a bit beyond me at the moment. When I go out into my garden, it is so noisy with the birds singing but I can still barely work out where they are hiding, let alone know what I am listening to.

Thank you very much for the offer of the book Ivan, I will contact you by pm later.

I've also looked at the links that were posted and they have given me lots of ideas of places I could visit. I have got membership of Leeds Castle - do you think that would be any good? If ever I manage to get some time to myself, I'd love to attend an organised trip, I think I would find it a bit nerve racking though.

Sorry to have waffled on and thanks again for all your suggestions.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back