• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chlorostilbon poortmani (Bourcier, 1843) (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

I am not sure if I interpret HBW Alive correct.

Chlorostilbon poortmani seems to be only dedicated to Théodore Poortmann (1804-1863). in the footnote here we can read that he died because of cholera. Or did I misunderstood why Willem Poortman (1819-1891) Dutch ornithologist, collector in Colombia) (Chlorostilbon) is mentioned for poortmani as well? Or is there a second bird with this name?

Martin, I guess that James simply changed his (2010) entry for poortmani after having seen the vague dedication in the OD of 1843 ("Dédié á M. Poortman, ornithologiste distingné"), thereby simply presenting two likely Poortman/n's.

But thanks to your additional (1876) info I think it is fair to say:

poortmani/poortmanni
● Short-tailed Emerald Chlorostilbon poortmani BOURCIER 1843 as "Ornismya Poortmani" a k a "La Panychlore de Poortmann" Panychlora poortmanni (by BOURCIER & MULSANT 1876), with the latter spelling also placed in Hylocharis or Chlorestes.
= the ornithologist and taxidermist Théodore Poortmann (1804–1863).

Born 8 December 1804, in Paris … died (of cholera) 17 August 1863, at the age of 59.

Well done!

I guess he was French, as he apparently was born in Paris, but maybe of Dutch Heritage. The name sure looks Dutch. If he was related to the Dutch collector Willem Poortman, I do not know. If so, at least not closely related. The latter doesn´t seem to have any siblings named Théodore.
---

Last edited:
Theodore Poortman was curator of the Lyon zoological museum in 1840.
http://www.taxidermidades.com/2013/01/tableau-du-preparateur-de-zoologie.html .
Boucier used Ornismya poortmani (one n) in Revue Zoologique, dated February 1843 by Doc Peterson & Normand David in this article.
http://www.avespress.com/featured-periodicals . Vol. 1.1. Resolution of priority affecting three hummingbird names established by Bourcier .
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k5454619r/f9.image .
Boucier and Mulsant published in the Annales de science Lyon in March 1843; Ornismya Poortmanni (two n)
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k5492244x/f114.image .
Bourcier published in April 1843 an article about humming birds in L'Echo du monde savant without mentioning O. poortmani at all.
http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/180983#page/247/mode/1up . Put on the web March 2015! So I blame Mulsant for the poortmani/portmanni confusion. And Mulsant was from Lyon and that is the connection to Theodore Poortman.

Last edited:
Poortmann

Listed as a Member of Société d'agriculture, histoire naturelle et arts utiles de Lyon in at least; 1840, 1843, 1845, 1847, 1848, 1852 and 1858.

See attached excerpt, or for example; here or here.

In my world this, together with the amended spelling by (the Lyonnaise) Mulsant, a far more reliable source than any Spanish (?) Taxidermidades blog. ;)
---

Attachments

• Poortmann.jpg
    Poortmann.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 35
I am a little bit confused about the statement with l'Echo du monde.

The article Vol. 1.1. Resolution of priority affecting three hummingbird names established by Bourcier is about:

• Chaetocercus mulsant (Bourcier, 1843)
  • Juliamyia julie (Bourcier, 1843)
  • Eriocnemis aline (Bourcier, 1843)

The article discuss priority Revue Zoologique versus Annales des sciences physiques et naturelles, d'agriculture et d'industrie .

In the article is not even written about L'Écho du monde savant et l'Hermès: journal analytique des nouvelles et des cours scientifiques. But similar statements we can find in Priority! The Dating of Scientific Names in Ornithology. But I do not know if we can compare the two cases one by one and think this needs a seperate analysis. Or did I miss anything?

To add to this topic: I find the first notes from Poortman's hand in MNHN from 1826, documenting birds that were brought in for display in the galleries. Many more notes in MNHN exist from Poortman. Up to well in the 1859's. He was (partly) responsible for exchanges from birds and mammals with other museums, and part of the notes are mammals and birds died in the menagerie.

Regarding the spelling Poortman vs Poortmann, see links; here, here (p.3) or here … and so on.
:scribe:
I´m all confused!

Are we dealing with two different French guys? One in Lyon and one in Paris?

With my meager (close to non-existing) knowledge of French I simply give up on this one (he´s not in the list for my MS).

Good luck solving the poortmani/poortmanni!

If you look at Marks link

... Théodore Poortman, preparador del Muséum Nacional d'Histoire Naturelle de Paris, y el litógrafo es Oudart.

Later is written...

...que en 1837 ocupaba la plaza de Naturalista adjunto en el Museo Zoológico de Lyon, que en 1840 era Conservador de aquel museo. Que se trasladó a Paris para trabajar en el Museo de Historia Natural donde en 1842 montó una jirafa sobre una escultura de madera, ...

Short version in english

... in the year 1837 he was appointed as deputy naturalist at the natural history museum of Lyon and in 1840 curator at the same museum. Than he moved to Paris to work at the Musée national d'histoire naturelle where he 1842 prepared a giraffe on a wooden sculpture...

So his earlier career was in Lyon and later in Paris.

His birth certificate here page 18 shows Poortman with only one n and the date might be slightly different than Mulsant wrote.

Last edited:
Martin, I did look at it, which means simply that, looked at it, not understanding the full content. My Spanish is as good (very bad!) as my French.

However; regarding the birth certificate (that´s what I call a reliable source); note the crossed over n's on the back of cerificate No. 20 (picture No. 21) and ditto for No. 23.

Clearly more than I that was a bit confused of the spelling of Poortman. ;)

If you look at Marks link

... Théodore Poortman, preparador del Muséum Nacional d'Histoire Naturelle de Paris, y el litógrafo es Oudart.

Later is written...

...que en 1837 ocupaba la plaza de Naturalista adjunto en el Museo Zoológico de Lyon, que en 1840 era Conservador de aquel museo. Que se trasladó a Paris para trabajar en el Museo de Historia Natural donde en 1842 montó una jirafa sobre una escultura de madera, ...

Short version in english

... in the year 1837 he was appointed as deputy naturalist at the natural history museum of Lyon and in 1840 curator at the same museum. Than he moved to Paris to work at the Musée national d'histoire naturelle where he 1842 prepared a giraffe on a wooden sculpture...

So his earlier career was in Lyon and later in Paris.

His birth certificate here page 18 shows Poortman with only one n and the date might be slightly different than Mulsant wrote.

Then why are notes from him in the MNHN from 1826 up to 1863, and they are written about MNHN specimens (not on Lyon), in special I found some papers son the Prevost collection? And on papers signed by Poortman it is Poortman by the way.

Last edited:
I don't know the source of the spanish web page. Only thing I can add is that Bourcier and Poortman de Lyon wrote this article here or full article here

And from Mulsant already mentioned earlier:
Feu Bourcier et moi nous avons dédié ce charmant oiseau à Théodore Poortmann, doué de talents et de qualités remarquables, attaché alors, en qualité de préparateur, au Muséum de Lyon, puis sous-chef des travaux de taxidermie à celui de Paris, où il a laissé des œuvres dignes d'admiration, entre autres un Gorille et une Giraffe qui ont dû nécessiter une étude intelligente du modèle vivant.

So il looks like he worked for both museums.

Last edited:
I have to come back on this old thread. According his death record here p. 2 of 21 entry 2471 he died 18. August 1863 in Paris. So Mulsant might be wrong by one day with his 17 août 1863.

Thanks for the update, Martin, better late than never; and well done, well noted! You're apparently going all the way, truly digging deep, on this one ... :t:

Also (maybe?) noteworthy is that the same guy Monsieur Théodore Poortman/n (however-his-surname-was written) is/was commemorated in the following (non-bird) taxa:

• The invalid West African (Gabon) Mammal/Civet "Viverra Poortmanni" PUCHERAN 1855 (here) [a synonym of today's African Civet Civettictis civetta (Schreber, 1776)]. A far more thorough description of this ("his"); "CIVETTE DE POORTMANN. — Viverra Poortmanni." (here, and Plate here), by the same Pucheran:
Cette espèce de Carnassier, que nous dédions à M. Théodore Poortmann, l’un des plus habiles préparateurs du Muséum, dont ...
... clearly commemorating "our" Théodore ... which I assume also goes for the following two:

• The ladybug/beetle Dilatitibialis poortmanni MULSANT 1850 (here), as "C. [Cleothera] Portmanni" (in Coleoptera, Coccinellidae, Insecta):
Je l’ai dédiée à M. Poortmann, naturaliste, attaché au Muséum de Paris.

• The invalid Tick "Ixodes Poortmani" LUCAS 1850 (here) [syn. of the South African Bont Tick Amblyomma hebraeum KOCH 1844] (in Ixodidae, Arachnida/Arthropoda)
Je l’ai dédiée à M. Poortman qui a rencontré cet Ixodes entre doigts de ce mammifère.

This far, if Monsieur Poortman/n was one of "my guys" [which he (fortunately) isn't ;)] I wouldn't say more than (and this is how I'll keep him and his bird, in my notes, if ever needed):

poortmani/poortmanni as in:
● Short-tailed Emerald (Hylocharis/Chlorestes) Chlorostilbon poortmani BOURCIER 1843 (here) as "Ornismya Poortmani" ["Dédié á M. Poortman, ornithologiste distingné"] a k a Panychlora poortmanni (by BOURCIER & MULSANT 1876 (here) ["La Panychlore de Poortmann" (in French)] ["Feu Bourcier et moi nous avons dédié ce charmant oiseau à Théodore Poortmann, done´..."]
= the French taxidermist and ornithologist Théodore Poortman (18041863), a k a ditto Poortmann [in quite a few contemporary texts (for examples, see; post #4, alt. #9 or #13, and onwards/elsewhere)].

Born 8 December 1804, in Paris … and he died in the same city (of cholera) in mid-August (dates differ; 17th or 18th, most likely the latter), in 1863, at the age of 58 (i.e. in his 59th year, sorry for the miscalculation in post #2).

This said, of course, without being able to read, or value, any of all those French texts (nor the original birth/death records), simply due to lack of linguistic skills.

Thence, take the above (adding very little) for whatever it is worth ...

Cheers!

Björn

PS. Either way, a bit sad (at least in my mind) that James deleted the poortmanni version all together in today's HBW Alive Key (simply as it's fairly easy to find when Googling, and it is still in use, by some few birders, even if clearly erroneous), it's not even found in the Key as a reference referring onto the proper version, the accurate poortmani.

PPS. Also note that his surname was written "Poortmann" (with double-n) in his Death record (link in post #14) ... !?!
--

Last edited:
Here's a last post (at least on my behalf, in this matter) of little value, or none (at least in relation to Ornithology, and certainly of none for the topic of this thread, the poortmani Hummingbird), posted simply as I went through the trouble of checking it/them ... the only justification would be that it might stop anyone from doing the same, simply to avoid anoyne from wasting their time ... (like I just did, ;)). It wasn't worth while ...

However, here goes: "our guy" (Théodore Poortman/n) is not the one commemorated in the names of the following three South American Plants:

• "M. [Macleania] Poortmanni" DRAKE (DEL CASTILLO) 1889, here, (in the heath or heather family: Ericaceae), collected in Ecuador: "Environs de Loja (Poortmann, 126!)". In the preceding text, in the Introduction of the very same paper, on pp.73-74, we find the following phrases:
... recueillies, en 1881 et 1882, par M. H. Poortmann, sous ..."
[...]
... M. Poortmann a exploré les deux chaines aux environs de Loja: la Sierra de Zamora, sur la chaîne orientale; les montagnes de Chonta-Cruz, Villonaca, le plateau de Chuquiribamba, et les hauteurs de Cisne, sur la chaîne occidentale.
[...]

Miconia poortmanni (Cogn.) WURDACK 1977 (here), ex "Tococa Poortmanni" COGNIAUX 1892, here, (top of page, p.196, also from Ecuador). A specimen of the plant itself, here (collected in 1890); Collector: "Poortman".
The Poortmann collection was from Cisne on the Loja-El Oro border. ...

[by John J. Wurdack, in: Phytologia 35 (No.3), p.250 (1977)]

• The Violet Columnea poortmannii (Wiehler) L.P. KVIST & L.E. SKOG 1993, ex "Trichantha poortmannii" WIEHLER 1984:

[...]

Type: ECUADOR: LOJA: Cordillera de Zamora; near Loja, 27 Dec. 1881, Poortmann 265 (HOLOTYPE: P; ISOTYPE: P).

Etymology: Named in honor of the collector, H. Poortmann, who found a number of unusual gesneriads in southern Ecuador.

[...]

[by Hans Wiehler, in the Botanical journal Selbyana 7 (No. 2/4), p.340 (August 1984)]
... which leads us to the "Belgian"(?) Botanical collector "Hugo A. C. Poortman (18??–19??)", mentioned in Smithsonian contributions to botany 82, p. 26, here, (from 1993): "Poortman (also spelled Poortmann) collected for E.F. André in Loja and Zamora-Chinchipe from January to June 1882, thereafter ..."

... and onwards, to which I assume is equal of this guy:, "Hugo A. C. Poortman (1858–1953)", a "Dutch garden designer", who was working for the landscape architect Édouard André, [more on this guy (i.e. Hugo Anne Cornelis Poortman), here, all in Dutch].

In "our" point of view I think it's fair to say that we can forget him all together! He wasn't even born when the Hummingbird got its name.

If anyone think I just wasted even more time (and space), sorry.

Otherwise, enjoy!

/B

PS. Not only ornithologists have trouble with those single or double n:s in the name Poortman/n ;)

Death record Visionneuse - Archives de Paris Cote V4E 533 p. 2 /18. Both with double n and one n are mentioned. His father with one n himself as double nn.

His name is written "Poortmann" with a double n in the margin, but "Theodore Poortman" with one n in the text. His father is "Guillaume Poortman" with one n in the text. His younger brother, who acted as a witness, is "Germain Poortman" with one n in the text; he signed the record "Poortman" with one n.

Poort (= gate) is unambiguously a Dutch word; finding it combined with a strikingly German -mann would be at best surprising.
I would expect the -mann ending to be a corruption by French people, who (1) may have been more used to deal with names of German origin than with names of Dutch origin, and (2) may have been tempted to depart from -man for any name that would have be pronounced -/man/ rather than -/mɑ̃/.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back