• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Hoverfly Thread (1 Viewer)

No- the dark stigma is a clue. It's Dasysyrphus albostriatus, I believe.

Howard,

Despite the apparently dark stigma, the image shows a female Syrphus sp. and not D.albostriatus; it is not 'doable' to species. The abdominal markings are wrong and it clearly lacks the pair of whitish longitudinal stripes on the thorax of D.albostriatus which give it its name.

RB

Thanks Rotherbirder. I was doubting the key which diverged at yellow face. Weather not suitable for more hoverflies yet and concentrated on my plan to break my own patch list record during April. Will get stuck in again in a couple of weeks.
Regards Howard

Very new to Hoverflies, so be gentle with me, and any advice much appreciated. Caught a few recently in my garden and my best guesses are:

1+2: Eristalis tenax?
3: Volucella zonaria
4+5: Platycheirus scutatus?

Attachments

• Eristalis tenax 1.JPG
    Eristalis tenax 1.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Eristalis tenax 2.JPG
    Eristalis tenax 2.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Volucella zonaria.JPG
    Volucella zonaria.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Platycheirus scutatus 1.JPG
    Platycheirus scutatus 1.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Platycheirus scutatus 2.JPG
    Platycheirus scutatus 2.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 22
Very new to Hoverflies, so be gentle with me, and any advice much appreciated. Caught a few recently in my garden and my best guesses are:

1+2: Eristalis tenax?
3: Volucella zonaria
4+5: Platycheirus scutatus?
1+2 correct
3. V. inanis
5. Platychirus albimanus, presumably 4 same individual

1+2 correct
3. V. inanis
5. Platychirus albimanus, presumably 4 same individual

Excellent, thank you!

I’d identified 3. as inanis based on underside view, so don’t know why I put the other!

Yes 4 & 5 same individual. I’d ruled out albimanus as body had yellow as opposed to grey markings but photo doesn’t show it well. Can they also have yellow? I saw a few presumed albimanus too but couldn’t get any photos.

Thanks again

Ian

I've got a few more from over the last few days that I've tried to ID:

1+2: Sphaerophoria scripta? But maybe not identifiable conclusively...
2+3: Not sure!
5: another Eristalis tenax?

Attachments

• Sphaerophoria scripta 1.JPG
    Sphaerophoria scripta 1.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 12
  • Sphaerophoria scripta 2.JPG
    Sphaerophoria scripta 2.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Hoverfly sp 2.JPG
    Hoverfly sp 2.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Hoverfly sp 3.JPG
    Hoverfly sp 3.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Eristalis tenax 3.JPG
    Eristalis tenax 3.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 14
I've got a few more from over the last few days that I've tried to ID:

1+2: Sphaerophoria scripta? But maybe not identifiable conclusively...
2+3: Not sure!
5: another Eristalis tenax?

Sorry, missed this one!

1+2: Correct; a male (tips of folded wings fall short of abdomen tip)
3+4: Syrphus sp; a female. Probably ribesii (all yellow hind femur possibly visible in 3)
5: Eristalis sp; a male; Probably tenax (dark tarsus possibly visible on protruding foreleg).

RB

Bumblebee mimic for ID

I took these poor photos of what looks like a Bumblebee mimic in Cheshire last May. I have a species in mind but it appears to be a rarity in my area. I hope the photos are good enough for someone to suggest an ID.

John

Attachments

• IMG_0711a.JPG
    IMG_0711a.JPG
    299.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0713a.JPG
    IMG_0713a.JPG
    286.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0715.jpg
    IMG_0715.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0715a.JPG
    IMG_0715a.JPG
    297 KB · Views: 13
I took these poor photos of what looks like a Bumblebee mimic in Cheshire last May. I have a species in mind but it appears to be a rarity in my area. I hope the photos are good enough for someone to suggest an ID.

John

Looks like Merodon equestris (Greater Bulb Fly) so probably not the rarity that you were considering.

RB

So is this a 'dead' thread or are there any others who would be interested in bringing this back to life? I got into hovers three years or so ago and now keep a spreadsheet of my sightings for the HRS. I never thought to venture into this part of BF before

So is this a 'dead' thread or are there any others who would be interested in bringing this back to life? I got into hovers three years or so ago and now keep a spreadsheet of my sightings for the HRS. I never thought to venture into this part of BF before
Well, it's kind of alive now ... not many hoverflies out there at the moment though?!?

I'm a Hoverfly novice. Can anyone help me ID this one - taken in my garden in Suffolk, UK

Attachments

• Hoverfly 001M (Garden).jpg
    Hoverfly 001M (Garden).jpg
    129 KB · Views: 10
  • Hoverfly 002M (Garden).jpg
    Hoverfly 002M (Garden).jpg
    542.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Hoverfly 003M (Garden).jpg
    Hoverfly 003M (Garden).jpg
    598.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Hoverfly 004M (Garden).jpg
    Hoverfly 004M (Garden).jpg
    578.6 KB · Views: 7
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back