• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HD Ultrvid Warranty vs Ultravid Warranty & others (1 Viewer)

Tvc15_2000

HD Ultravid Warranty vs Ultravid Warranty & others

Leica is now providing the shortest warranty period and stingiest coverage for the HD Ultravid when compared to other binocular makers in this class (in the USA). They have gone from one of the best warranty to the least amount of coverage (at least I cant think of any who provide less).

There are some odd management decisions being made at Leica. I have to wonder if this is a company in financial trouble? First they offer a normal lifetime warranty on the Ultravid (like everyone else). Then they began selling an endless stream of repaired Ultravids on Ebay.
Now the HD is introduced with the shortest warranty in its class. I am wondering if Leica introduced the HD model with modest improvements to lower the warranty obligations?
Why is Leica unable to provide warranty support for its product and customers at the same level as the competition? They charge the highest prices for their product!

Compare the competition (USA Warrantys)
-Zeiss provides a transferable life time warranty
-Swarovski Lifetime USA Warranty
-Nikon $10 "No-Fault" Warranty
-Pentax "Worry Free" Warranty (Lifetime)
- Ultravid Lifetime
- HD Ultravid Free parts for 10 years free labor for the first 5 years.

The HD provides a substantial reduction of warranty care for Leica buyers when compared to the competition or even Leicas own Ultravid warranty.
The HD Ultravid 10 year limited warranty card (USA) image is attached The way I read it HD warranty owners will be charged labor after the first 5 years

VS

Ultravid lifetime unlimited warranty card (USA) Covers accidental damage too!

Attachments

• HDUltravid.jpg
    HDUltravid.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 213
  • ULTRAVID1.jpg
    ULTRAVID1.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 235
  • ULTRAVID2.jpg
    ULTRAVID2.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
In Europe the warranty for the FL is reduced to 10 years since its appearence in 2004 and as far as I heard Swarovsky is going to reduce the warranty on both, the SLC and EL series in spring 2008. Therefore leicas police might appear in another light as a reaction to its competitors. The old warranty of all three companies was 30 years here.
I think it shows consequence to offer the same warranty in Europe and overseas. Let us see how swaro and zeiss react in America.
I was told at Leica that it is an immense cost factor but if there are any product problems which depend on producing mistakes, they appear within the first two or three years.
They said it doesn´t show a reduction of product quality.

Regards

Andreas

Leica is now providing the shortest warranty period and stingy coverage for the HD Ultravid when compared to other binocular makers in this class. They have gone from one of the best warranty to the least amount of coverage (at least I cant think of any who provide less).

There are some odd management decisions being made at Leica. I have to wonder if this is a company in financial trouble? First they offer a normal lifetime warranty on the Ultravid (like everyone else). Then they began selling an endless stream of repaired Ultravids on Ebay.
Now the HD is introduced with the shortest warranty in its class. I am wondering if Leica introduced the HD model with modest improvements to lower the warranty obligations?
Why is Leica unable to provide warranty support for its product and customers at the same level as the competition? They charge the highest prices for their product!

Compare the competition
-Zeiss provides a transferable life time warranty
-Swarovski Lifetime USA Warranty
-Nikon $10 "No-Fault" Warranty
-Pentax "Worry Free" Warranty (Lifetime)
- Ultravid Lifetime
- HD Ultravid Free parts for 10 years free labor for the first 5 years.

The HD provides a substantial reduction of warranty care for Leica buyers when compared to the competition or even Leicas own Ultravid warranty.
The HD Ultravid 10 year limited warranty card (USA) image is attached The way I read it HD owners can be charged labor after the first 5 years

VS

Ultravid lifetime unlimited warranty card (USA) Covers accidental damage too!
http://www.leica-corporate.com/investor_relations/financial_reports/2007/index.html

A warranty is best viewed as insurance against against defects in the product and misfortune. It costs money and is reflected in the price of the product. The longer the warranty, the more it costs. I remember, a number of years ago, purchasing a graphite Fly Rod from a very high end manufacturer. I used it with satisfaction for 2 years, when, Lo, out of the blue, I received some correspondence from the company offering me a lifetime guarantee against defects and/or breakage of the rod for only $50.00! I noted, at that time, that the current prices of their new rods had increased by approximately that amount.

The changes in the terms of the warranty are probably a way to keep the overall costs of the binocular down. The down trend of the Dollar in relation to the Euro may have something to do with it too.

Cordially,
Bob

I use Leica products because I feel they are one of the best available. - but I do not respect this warranty. It is the worst of the top of the line makers by any measure. See the warrantys at the bottom. Leica ranks last.

When the dollar is weak I provide more dollars for the same goods or services rather than increase the billing opportunities as Leica is doing.

First off I like the product. I own enough Ultravids 5 pair including the HD. I don’t mind paying what ever Leica wants for its product. But I want the payment to end there as it does with other top binocular makers. To put it bluntly in today’s terminology – I do not look forward to a “waterboarding” by the Leica billing department for repairs down the road.

There is no incentive to design a product that does not need repairs when repairs are a source of income.

The Kowa warranty says it better than I can “This Limited Lifetime Warranty is an expression of our confidence in the materials and mechanical workmanship”

The Leica warranty does not express any of the confidence the other makers advertise proudly below (to me). Leica says to me NO confidence.

Leica is sending 2 conflicting messages:
1) This quote is from the current Leica catalog 100+ page catalog that clearly states rugged quality built in - "Even under the most grueling conditions, such as extreme temperature changes and constant physical abuse, our products exceed expectations."
2) No confidence in the product 5 year warranty. Not sure how they can even call 5 years labor and parts a 10 year warranty! This warranty gives new meaning to Limited Warranty.

Today’s Buyer will pay labor charges in 2013 (5 years) and parts and labor in 2018 (10 years). This includes the rubber skin reattachment.

I like the insurance these makers offer a lot more than Leicas offering - which is at the bottom of the list (pun intended).

WARRANTY EXTRACTS FROM OTHER COMPANIES
Nikon Optics:
Are backed-up by the Nikon 25-Year Warranty & the “No Fault” Repair/Replacement Policy Nikon products are warranted by Nikon Inc. to be free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of twenty-five (25) years from date of purchase. During this period Nikon Inc. will, at its option and without charge, either repair any part or assembly of parts which is found to be defective in material or workmanship, or replace this Nikon product with a Nikon product of comparable value and condition

Swarovski:
Life of original purchaser, non-transferable.

Zeiss Binoculars:
come with a Lifetime Transferable Warranty. This warranty gives the purchaser (“you”) specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state. Carl Zeiss Optical, Inc., (“Zeiss”/ “we”/ “us”) warrants that products sold will be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use. If determined to be defective, Zeiss will pay for the cost of labor and materials required for the repair. If the product cannot be repaired due to defect, Zeiss will replace with same or equivalent product at Zeiss’ discretion. All products have been designed to meet ISO 9022 Standards and are guaranteed to be fog and leak proof.

Kowa:
Binocular, is unquestionably warranted to be free of defects in material and workmanship for the lifetime of the original owner. This Limited Lifetime Warranty is an expression of our confidence in the materials and mechanical workmanship of this Company’s optical products and assures many years of convenient, dependable service.

Pentax:
Sport Optics products are of the highest optical and mechanical quality. If your Pentax binocular or spotting scope purchased in the USA from an authorized Pentax Sport Optics dealer requires repair, Pentax will repair or replace it to the original purchaser at our option (even if damaged by fault) for charge of $19.95, to cover handling and return shipping.* This warranty does not cover cosmetic damage, theft or loss. (Replacement may be with comparable model at Pentax’s discretion if the original model is no longer available.)

Bushnell/Bausch & Lomb Sports Optics Division binocular, riflescope or telescope, is unquestionably warranted to be free of defects in material and workmanship for the lifetime of the original owner.

Minox: Lifetime

Leupold:
If any Leupold Golden Ring® product is found to have defects in materials or workmanship, we will, at our option, repair or replace it. FREE. Even if you are not the original owner. No warranty card is required. No time limit applies.

Swift:
Swift instruments are warranted against defective materials or workmanship for the life of the instrument

Celestron:
Celestron warrants its instruments to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for their usable lifetime

Leica:
(non HD) Ultravid Life of original purchaser, non-transferable. Covers accidental damage

LEICA HD WARRANTY ( I removed the useless blather)
Leica Camera Inc. warranty 10 years. Subject to the following conditions:
1) During the warranty period Leica Camera Inc. shall assume all material costs for repair of defects resulting from manufacturing faults. >>> During the first five years, Leica Camera Inc. shall further bear any necessary labor costs.<<< Leica Camera Inc. will, at its own discretion, repair the product, replace the defective parts, or replace the binoculars with an identical flawless product Consequential claims, irrespective of their nature and legal basis in connection with this warranty, cannot be accepted.
2) External parts such as rubber eyecups, leatherette, rubber armoring , carrying strap and accessories shall be excluded from the extended warranty.
3) Claims under warranty are null and void if the defect has been caused by improper handling - which also can include the use of non-Leica accessories - if the binoculars had been serviced by unauthorized persons or workshops, or if the serial number has been obliterated.
4) Warranty claims can only be made by submission of this warranty card which has been completed with the date of purchase, address and signature of the authorized photo dealer.
5) When submitting claims under warranty please return the Leica binoculars together with the Warranty Card and a description of the claim to the Customer Service department of Leica Camera Inc. or to a Leica Camera agency.

Last edited:
Then they began selling an endless stream of repaired Ultravids on Ebay.

How do you know if an Ultravid is a repaired one?

Now the HD is introduced with the shortest warranty in its class.

A used Ultravid might make even more sense. If the warranty is not that good, might as well take advantage of steep discounts on used stuff. Or get a Swarovski with a better warranty (for now anyway).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back