• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stint moult sequence (1 Viewer)

Laurie Knight

Migrant waders are arriving in Australia. I photographed a stint with remnants of breeding plumage yesterday in Brisbane. I noted that the colour around its neck and throat superficially resemble the pattern of Little Stints.

I suspect, however, that it is a Red Neck Stint and that RNS go through a moult sequence that produces a white throat before the red chest band disappears. Is that correct?

The stint wearing a green flag is a locally banded bird.

Regards, Laurie.

Attachments

• DSC_0179.JPG
    DSC_0179.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC_0181.JPG
    DSC_0181.JPG
    218.8 KB · Views: 136
hi Laurie,

I'm certainly no expert on RNS (very rare in The Netherlands) but to me your moulting Stint looks like a Red-necked to me. Structurally it is very similar to the winter plumaged birds around it (especially the thickness of the bill) and the remnants of it's summer plumage do look right for RNS. I am not sure if all RNS follow the same moult pattern/sequence with regards to throat and breastfeathers but here are a few similar birds from Japanfromone of the most informative wader sites I know.

http://homepage2.nifty.com/stints/calidris/redneck-aswFGHI.html

regards, Pim Wolf, NL

Hi Laurie,

Have a look through DaveB's blog, lots of useful info - http://digdeep1962.blogspot.com/

M

Hi Laurie, I think you're right in your conclusion, and other comments are spot on also. Check out the shape of the bill and length of legs on these Little Stints I photographed in Malaysia recently. Also here

You can get a good idea of the other differences in structure by comparing this Little with this Red-necked. Note especially the difference in head and neck bulk.

Keep looking! Your attention to detail will eventually pay off I am sure!

Cheers

Dave

PS Thanks for the plug Mark!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back