• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mr. Buckley in some "Buckleyi Birds" … (1 Viewer)

But the second part of your post #19 is far more relevant (for me that is) and truly thought-provoking ...
Interesting is that...
[...]
...is the same as the one here for William Buckley (1814–1888).
That's sharp-eyed, Martin! A correct observation ... I hadn't seen this contradiction/incompatibility before. Thanks! :t:

In A Guide to the Archives of the Royal Entomological Society (2002) we find the claim that the guy on the portrait is William Buckley (1814–1888) versus Vane-Wright in The Linnean (1991), that says the same guy is Clarence Buckley [that we now, thanks to Jan, know was born in 1832]. Both attached below, for comparison.

If the date for this portrait "c.1870", as given in Vane-Right's Paper, is correct (and I see no reason to doubt it) ... I would say that the painting itself tend to support Vane-Right (as being a portrait of Clarence Buckley).

The general impression, after once again having looked at the features and details of the Portrait, I somewhat doubt that the depicted guy is his mid-50's ...

I sure wonder how the Entomologists came to that conclusion (eleven years after Vane-Right's Paper). What news, contradictory facts had/has turned up? Or is this some kind of mix-up? Two Buckley, both in Ecuador, in about the same years, both collecting butterflies (and birds?). Odd, but so it seems.

However; at this point, simply to be on the safe side, I will put a question mark regarding the Identity of the depicted Buckley. Before having read the 2002 Paper in full (which I haven't) I wouldn't dare to claim either way.

On top of this there are several features in this Portrait/Painting (artistic style, pose, characteristics of the period, etc., etc.) indicating that it might be a portrait done on commission, in a studio, far from Ecuador, based on an (even earlier) portrait ... ? I´m not even all convinced it's Mr Buckley's body we see!

I´m sure looking forward to read the 2002 piece in full.

I will return to this matter, onwards, when times allow, at this moment I'm too busy with other etymologies, but if somebody beat me to finding (or already have read) the 2002 Paper, please enlighten us on how they came to the conclusion that the Portrait represent William (and not Clarence) Buckley.

One or the other is clearly wrong.

Björn

PS. But I would like to think (read; hope) it's a Portrait of "our" Clarence! If so I would love to use it (if allowed, of course) to illustrate my MS. Dear William seems to be of minor interest (that is; in ornithological etymology). At least as far as we know today ... ;)
--

Attachments

• Archives of the   Royal Entomological Society, 2002.jpg
    Archives of the Royal Entomological Society, 2002.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 15
  • The Linnean, 1991.jpg
    The Linnean, 1991.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
All-clear

@ Björn: I can give you an all-clear as it seems to be Clarence.

I contacted the library of The Royal Entomological Society. So the answer was....

However following your enquiry I looked at the painting and at a photographs of both William Buckler (1814-1888) and Clarence Buckley.

I am sure that the image in our guide has been mislabelled and that it is Clarence Buckley not W. Buckley or as the dates suggest William Buckler.

I have attached the photographs of both gentlemen from our collection.

I am sure that Dick Vane Wright is correct.

If William Buckler ever have been in Ecuador I have no clue. Still wondering if Gould was wrong with his W. Buckley (and it was Clarence)? This question I am raising is due post #15. In here Gould mentioned:

They formed part of a collection made by Mr. W. Buckley in the temperate parts of Ecuador during autumn of the present year, 1870.

So I was misleaded by the book from The Royal Entomological Society.

Or maybe the William Buckley at Rollisson's Nursery, Tooting honered in the plant hybride Epiphyllum × buckleyi here was in 1870 in Ecuador? But I doubt as he died around 1875 to read here. Or he died 18 Januaray 1875 and his name was Wilbraham Buckley here.

Apart from this we can find about Clarence here:

Buckley, Clarence ( —-ca. 1881), Sammelte mehrfach in Peru, Bolivien u. (zum Teil zusammen mit Gloyne*) in Ecuador (1869/81). Ausbeuten fast ganz an E. W. Janson** (London); ein geringer Teil Lepidopt. direkt an W. C. Hewitson u. H. Bruce.

* Charles Papps Gloyne
** Edward Wesley Janson

Attachments

• C.Buckley.pdf
    53.4 KB · Views: 22
  • W.Buckler.pdf
    69.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Quick reply; Martin, see Post #1:

"Diphlogæna iris buckleyi" VON BERLEPSCH 1887 [here]: "… the late Mr. Clarence Buckley, to whom science is indebted for so many interesting discoveries. I have accordingly named it in memory after him."

Hard to see how this phrase would have been used if he died in 1889. ;)

Once again those Eponym Dictionaries ... are a bit dubious.

/B

OK I missed that of couse and can read similar here by George Albert Boulenger in 1887.

If this part of A monograph of the Hirundinidae : or family of swallows was published in 1885 (seems to be published 1885-1894) we could even conclude earlier death. But I don't know the publication history of this book.

Correction to my post #22 H. Bruce must be Herbert Druce here.

Last edited:
A Monograph of the Hirundinidae or Family of Swallows (1885–1894), bound in two volumes, was Originally issued in 20 parts, (including some double or treble numbers) between Sept. 1885 and Oct. 1894.

The dates for each publication are unknown to me, but it seems unlikely that those pages, with "The late Clarence Buckley" (in vol. 2), was published in the earlier part of that period.

This far I don't think we've got any closer to his Death than it happened in the mid-1880's, not closer than; "Clarence is still listed in various street directories in London in 1885" (Jan's post #9), and "late" in -87. In about those years.

/B

A bit overdue, but let's return to the debated/questioned Portrait of Mr. Buckley (as of post #19, 20–21) ... well, Martin, what can I say, but: :t: Good job, well done, thanks!

So the other guy; "William Buckley (1814–1888)", that suddenly disturbed this thread, is/was a "William Buckler (1814-1888)"!?!

Clearly, after having studied those Photos, the features of the guy in the painted Portrait must be the ones of Clarence (the enormous sideburns excluded), no way the other guy could have looked anything similar. It's Clarence Buckley all right! ... or should one say; it's all (Vane-) Wright! ;) [alt. yet another Portrait, this time a Photo (of an old descendant, for Jan)!]

I almost feel sorry for Simon Fenwick (the Author of A Guide to the Archives of the Royal Entomological Society, 2002); wrong guy, and wrong spelling/name. Awkward ...

If the horticulturist at Rollisson's Nursery, Tooting, was or is, equal of any William/Wilbraham Buckley/Buckler (1814-1875/1888?), if he (or they) ever went to Ecuador, or not (and even as such, in some way, could be included, in the exploration/Natural History of South America), is far, far beyond my scope (and I will not try to trace that/those guy/s).

I´ll simply stick to the Birds in my list (too many, too much left, running short of time).

Björn

The dates for each publication are unknown to me, but it seems unlikely that those pages, with "The late Clarence Buckley" (in vol. 2), was published in the earlier part of that period.

I think it is not that easy just because it appears in Vol II. See here about publication history.

We have to find which plate Atticora Cinera was. And it is plate 96 which was published Dec 1890 (Part XV).

Last edited:
We have to find which plate Atticora Cinera was. And it is plate 96 which was published Dec 1890 (Part XV).
Martin, if you look at the Appendix to the Genus Atticora (here), for the Andean Swallow "Atticora cinerea (Gm.)", where "The late Clarence Buckley" was mentioned (in text), you'll see that it was published in 1892:

"Add :— ... pt. xv. (1892)", all in line with the Catalogue entry (your first link, post #28, p.579): Part "XV, ... Aug. 1892", thereby nothing new.

By then dear old Clarence had been late/dead for some years.

Björn

PS. "Dec 1890" is for Pt. XIII-XIV. ;)

Last edited:
Sidetrack to the buckleyi birds ... (mostly on behalf of Martin/"Taphrospilus").

Regarding the collector of the Type of the Little Woodstar/"Die Hummelelfe" (Acestrura) Chaetocercus bombus, GOULD 1871, that you've been working/dealing with (in German Wikipedia) I think we can be pretty certain it (as well) was collected by Clarence Buckley ...

If we follow some of the other locations [other than (the Río/El) Citado], mentioned in Gould's Paper from 1871 (link in #15); Baños, (Río) Ulva, Canelos, Santa Ines ...it might be noteworthy that the lizard Leposoma buckleyi O'SHAUGNESSY 1881 (here) was collected by Clarence Buckley at Canelos, Ecuador (also see p.141, in the same Journal, here, where he'd also collected the Moth Castnia erycina WESTWOOD 1881, in Eastern Ecuador), as well as the butterfly Hyalenna buckleyi LAMAS & WILLMOTT 2006 (here, p.446); holotype collected by Clarence Buckley, at Tungurahua, ‘env[irons] d’Ambato’ (Ecuador), not far from Baños.

Or here; collected at “Pallatanga and Canelos”, Ecuador, or here. Note also that Pallatanga was one of the collecting sites where the same, "the late Clarence Buckley", collected some of Boulenger's fishes (as of post #25). And onwards ...

Thereby I assume Gould's "Mr. W. Buckley" (1871) simply was a mistake (a typo alt. Printer's error), and that it ought to have been "Mr. C. Buckley".

For what it is worth.

/B
--

Last edited:
@ Björn: That's what I thought as well but you provided further evidence. Thank you.

Just want to mention that Buckley was a second time in Ecuador (if not already mentioned here but if # 1 says first journey indirectly yes).

Only from his first journey to Ecuador Clarence Buckley sent 5000 butterflies to William Chapman Hewitson (of which 200 was new to science!). In the Elementary Text-Book of Entomology from 1892, he is mentioned as "The well-known Mr. Buckley”. In spite of this I haven´t been able to find much more of him and his life …

We can see this in the title of Descriptions of six new species of Elateridae, collected by Mr. Clarence Buckley during his second expedition to Ecuador by Edward Wesley Janson. Of course it does not bring us any closer. Must be in 1878 as here is written:

Mr. C. Buckley, during his recent second expedition into the eastern valleys of the Andes of Quito has obtained a series of birds many of which are of great interest, ...

But just as a guess maybe he died in Ecuador and is therefore that hard to trace his death?

Last edited:
Still no luck in trying to trace when, and where, Clarence Buckley died.

Maybe of some help; Buckley's Agent/dealer (in London) was a guy by the Surname Gerard (according to Gary Graves, 2000, here) ... though it didn't take me any further. ;)

Anyone luckier?

However; simply to be on the safe side, as Martin raised the question [and instilled some doubts, at least on my behalf, in my mind] of which Buckley collected what bird, and where, in Ecuador, I decided to take a quick look at the other (South American) birds by the name buckleyi [except the five already dealt with in Post #1 – all those commemorating Clarence Buckley] ...

The remaining three buckleyi birds are (as far as I can tell):

• the subspecies Tityra inquisitor buckleyi SALVIN & GODMAN 1890 (here), as "Tityra buckleyi" (p.121, see foot-note, bottom page): "(C. Buckley)" ... he's also mentioned several times in the same volume", and as "... the late Clarence Buckley" on p.236.

• the subspecies Odontophorus gujanensis buckleyi CHUBB 1919 (here):
... collected at Sarayacu in eastern Ecuador by the late Clarence Buckley, in whose memory this subspecies is named, ...

• ... and the invalid Hummingbird "Chrysuronia buckleyi" BOUCARD 1893 (here):
It was discovered in Bolivia, 1876, by the late Buckley, and I dedicate it to his memory.
In the latter case it's a bit hard to tell which Buckley it is/was commemorating? At least solely from the OD. As of 1893 both Clarence and a plausible (most likely all irrelevant) William (Buckley/Buckler) were "late". I guess it boils down to if it is possible to tell which one of them were in Bolivia in 1876? And; which Buckley were in contact with Monsieur Boucard? Martin, maybe you know, Hummingbirds (and those French Trochilidists) seems to be your speciality ...

Either way, a piece strongly talking in favour of Clarence, also on this one, is the following Paper; On the Birds collected in Bolivia by Mr. C. Buckley (by Sclater and Salvin, 1879), here, where they clearly write about "Mr. Clarence Buckley ... in quest of Butterflies, and of Birds obtained only a certain number of Trochilidæ for Mr. Gould." [the latter part of this sentence also strengthens the earlier typo-theory, as of post #15-18, 30-31].

Thereby, to me, it looks like all buckleyi birds are, without exception, commemorating dear old Clarence Buckley (born in 1832 ... and "late" in 1887).

One last remaining question (except the one of his all unknown Death, of course) would be, for the latter bird; Boucard's "Chrysuronia buckleyi"; of which of today's taxa is it synonymous? Is it equal of today's ssp. "Josephine's Golden-tailed Sapphire" Chrysuronia oenone josephinae BOURCIER & MULSANT 1848 (here), as T. [Trochilus] Josephinæ? Or as per today's Key, possibly of: "?syn. Chrysuronia oenone alleni", ELLIOT 1888 (here), as "Agyrtria alleni" ...?

Anyone who knows the answer? Does the description/s tell us either way? Or elsewhere?

Björn

Still no luck in trying to trace when, and where, Clarence Buckley died.

Maybe of some help; Buckley's Agent/dealer (in London) was a guy by the Surname Gerard (according to Gary Graves, 2000, here) ... though it didn't take me any further. ;)

What I found here:

Material was later collected in the same area by Buckley and this fell into the hands of Edward Gerrard, Jr., who permitted Sclater to examine the skins.

There might be another bird Pinarolaema buckleyi = Colibri coruscans coruscans described by Gould here. So we know Clarence Buckley collected in Bolivia probably in 1876.

Mr. Clarence Buckley, who has distinguished himself by his zoological reseach in South America, passed, as is well known, some considerable time in Bolivia some few years ago.

Buckley was discussed in another forum here. But nothing essential more.

One last remaining question (except the one of his all unknown Death, of course) would be, for the latter bird; Boucard's "Chrysuronia buckleyi"; of which of today's taxa is it synonymous? Is it equal of today's ssp. "Josephine's Golden-tailed Sapphire" Chrysuronia oenone josephinae BOURCIER & MULSANT 1848 (here), as T. [Trochilus] Josephinæ? Or as per today's Key, possibly of: "?syn. Chrysuronia oenone alleni", ELLIOT 1888 (here), as "Agyrtria alleni" ...?

Makes sense as distribution range of Chrysuronia oenone alleni is Bolivia. Chrysuronia oenone josephinae seems present in Tropical e Amazonian Peru.

Apart from that Björns last post lead me to a small enhancement to the key on rusbyi. OD here.

Prof. Henry H. Rusby (1855-1940) US collector in Bolivia (syn. Conopophaga melanogaster).

Is middle name is Henry Hurd Rusby. He was born in 26 April 1855 Franklin New Jersey and died d. Sarasota, Fla., 18 Nov. 1940. He was Professor of Botany Physiology and Materia Medica in the Department of Pharmacy at Columbia University and Dean of the Faculty.

To find in Alexander Hopkins McDannald: The Americana Annual: An Encyclopedia of Current Events 1941.

Last edited:
Coming back on the natural history dealer Edward Gerrard, Jr.

Here we can read:

Mr. Sclater exhibited the skull of one of the specimens of the Hairy Tapir of the Andes (Tapirus roulini)*, obtained by Mr. Buckley during his recent expedition to Ecuador, and kindly lent to Mr. Sclater by Mr. E. Gerrard, Junior.

In the Ibis we can find here

Large collections of mammals, birds, insects, and other objects were made and forwarded to his agent in this country Mr. Edward Gerrard, Jr.

Here it is written:

Mr. Edward Gerrard, Jr., exhibited a very fine head of a Koodoo Antelope (Strepsiceros kudu). The specimen had been shot by Mr. F. C. Selous, near the River Macloutsie, Khama's Country, South Africa, on May 23rd, 1890.

...or here...

Mr. Edward Gerrard, junior, preparing a skeleton of one of them for the collection, it was discovered that it

Probably a squirrel ssp. is named for him Sciurus granatensis gerrardi.

I doubt that it is the same guy died 1914 here

Edward Gerrard Jr.
Indianapolis, Ind - Rhe death of Edward Gerrard, Jr., occured at the home of his parents Mr. and Mrs Edward Gerrad, St. 3146 Wahington Boulevard, on the afternoon of August 13th. He had been illl several weeks from typhold fever. He was one of the most prominent young buisness men in the ciity....

Last edited:
Nope, but I doubt it will add anything on Buckley himself. Here it looks like most other papers dealing with foreign birds.

Any idea of the title of that paper? Or who the author was?

Any idea of the title of that paper? Or who the author was?

Gyldenstolpe, Nils (1945): A contribution to the ornithology of northern Bolivia. — Kungl. Svenska Vetensk. Akad.Handl., (3), 23: 1-300,

But I agree it might be just

Mr. WALTER DAVIS accompanied Mr. A. Agassiz during his explorations of Lake Titicaca in 1875. Davis collected a few birds at Coroico in the Dept. La Paz, Bolivia was in 1873—1874 visited by Mr. CLARENCE BUCKLEY. He returned to the same Republic during the next year. Buckley collected assiduously and succeeded to obtain about 700 birdskins representing about 500 different species and subspecies, 19 of which were considered to be new to Science. A comprehensive account of Buckley's collections was published by Sclater & Salvin in a work entitled »On the Birds collected in Bolivia by Mr. C. Buckley». That paper, which was published in the Proc. Zool. Soc. London 1879, pp. 588 — 645, not only contained a list of all such species which had been obtained by Mr. Buckley, but also a reference to all such birds, which had been...

Buckley conclusion

Long overdue, here's a (final?) post, regarding Clarence Buckley, commemorated in:

● Ecuadorian Ground-dove Columbina buckleyi SCLATER & SALVIN 1877 a k a "Buckley's Ground-dove" (alt. Buckleys markduva, in Swedish)
● Buckley's Forest-falcon Micrastur buckleyi SWANN 1919 a k a "Buckley´s Harrier-Hawk" (alt. Buckleys skogsfalk, in Swedish)
● Buckley's Cotinga (Ptilochloris) Laniisoma (elegans) buckleyi SCLATER & SALVIN 1880 a k a "Buckley's Mourner" (alt. andinsk sorgfågel, in Swedish; in this case in line with its alternate English name "Andean Mourner" [+ Bird/fågel])
● the invalid "Pinarolæma Buckleyi" GOULD 1880 (Syn. with [his own!?] Colibri c. coruscans GOULD 1846)
● the invalid "Diphlogæna iris buckleyi" VON BERLEPSCH 1887 (Syn. Coeligena i. iris GOULD 1854)
[for links to all OD's, see earlier posts]

With; one tiny, small correction (of my own), contrary to what I wrote earlier on, in this thread, alt. simply an explanation, just to put things straight; regarding Clarence's alleged Father, the "late" Colonel Buckley and the latter's butterfly collection, and his connection/relation to "our" guy Clarence Buckley, simply as I couldn't wrap my head around Clarence's earlier life/youth (which caused some long-lingering, disturbing doubts; if he truly was the Son of this certain Colonel Buckley)... thereby I had to revisit some of the sources, earlier read, dealing with this particular part of his life. And now I think I understand why (and where) I went a bit wrong, and my last remaining doubts have simply drifted away.

In: Horsfield, T & F Moore. 1858–1859. A Catalogue of the Lepidopterous Insects in the Museum of Natural History at the East-India House, vol. II. WM. H. Allen and Co.. London ... we find the following text:
Now, if this collection belonged to a son of the late Col. Buckley*, ...
[...]
*This collection was presented to the East-India Company's Museum in 1849.

[here]​
And this is the text that I misread, that's where I got things a bit mixed-up and confused. Horsfield and Moore didn't say that the Butterfly collection of Colonel Frederick Buckley (Senior, who died in 1853), was donated in 1849 "after his death", as I wrote it in post #1 (in the end of it). This text only tells us that "Col. Buckley" (i.e. Clarence's Father) was "late" in 1858-1859, (i.e. when the Catalogue was written), nothing else, which was/is clearly after the donation itself (thus not after "Col. Buckley")*.

My (sloppy) erroneous mistake. Sorry for if I've caused any confusion. Also note that the Son, mentioned in the quote above, probably (most likely) was his namesake Frederick (Augustus) Buckley (1828–1906), Clarence's older (surviving) Brother, who ought to have been the heir. Frederick (Jr.) was 21 when the donation was made in 1849, and 25 when their Father passed in 1853, while dear Clarence was only 17 resp. 21.

[His/their Father; "Colonel" Frederick Buckley (last title/rank Brigadier), was born 14 April, 1786, in Polebrook, Northamptonshire, England ... and he died 14th of July 1853 in India, where he was burried the same day, in Bareilly, Bengal, India (all according to Jan Skillen)].

However, this does explain how, and that; "our" Clarence (born 1832) would/could have " ... had considerable experience in collecting insects in India, &c., ..." (and a connection to Colonel Buckley) before he left for Guyaquil, Ecuador in 1868 (here). Dear Clarence could very well have been part of assembling that collection (as a youngster) and most likely kept on collecting butterflies prior to turning up in London, at some point prior to/around 1860 (and onwards, leaving for South America, where he found "our" birds).

Now, finally, I´m far more convinced. They do seem to have been Father and Son. And even more so after having read Jan Skillen's thorough work on her Ancestry page/s [Once again; thanks Jan :t:]. All various bits and pieces seems to fit.

[but still no trace of when Clarence died, not closer than in the mid-1880's (i.e.; in alt. post-85, pre-87)]

Long overdue; Mr (Clarence) Buckley and the buckleyi birds .... over and out!

Björn

PS. Martin, the frogs in your post #19 does seems to have been "his" as well. ;)

the East-India Company Museum in that certain year. However, he does seem to have
recovered, after the furlough to Europe, as he returned to India (where he died).

Simply bringing it back to the table as The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims his death as 1889_
Buckley's Ground Dove Columbina buckleyi P. L. Sclater & Salvin, 1877 [Alt. Ecuadorian Ground Dove]
Buckley's Cotinga Laniisoma buckleyi P. L. Sclater & Salvin, 1880 [Alt. Andean Laniisoma; Syn. Laniisoma elegans buckleyi]
Buckley's Mountain Hummingbird Pinarolaema buckleyi Gould, 1880 NCR [Alt. Buckley's Violet-ear; believed to represent an aberrant Colibri coruscans]
Buckley's Forest Falcon Micrastur buckleyi Swann, 1919 [Alt. Traylor's Forest Falcon]
Black-crowned Tityra ssp. Tityra inquisitor buckleyi Salvin & Godman, 1890
Marbled Wood Quail ssp. Odontophorus gujanensis buckleyi Chubb, 1919
Clarence Buckley (d.1889) was a collector of natural history specimens in Ecuador and Bolivia. He remained in South America until c.1880, but details of his death appear to be unrecorded. uckley collected for a number of artists and ornithologists, including Gould. The British Museum houses a large fish collection made by him, including several eponymous species. There are also over 80 species of birds collected by him in BMNH. Four amphibians and a reptile are named after him.

Where this information came from, I have no clue. The death is still not that claer to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back