• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do I clean and store my binocs? (1 Viewer)

The instructions with my binocs said I should use the cleaning cloth that came with it as well as isopropyl alcohol. Is that safe? This is what I have at home. Do you recommend a special cleaner or cleaning kit? How often should I clean my binocs (Can I do damage if I clean them too much)? Also, is this good instructions? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5DaExac1e0

For storing, should I just put my binocs in my case with the lens covers? Do the binocs need to be standing up or laying down?

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20161020_113543.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20161020_113543.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 40
For storing wait till any moisture has gone before putting the caps on and putting it away.

I have never had problems storing upright or laying flat.
However, Image Stabilized binoculars should be stored horizontally.
Probably better with any binocular.

I left my 12.5 inch telescope stored horizontally in a trunk for 15 years and the mirror warped.
This flexing won't happen with normal binoculars.

Preferably low humidity, steady temperature, above 55 F in the U.K.

Waterproof binoculars are more robust regarding fungus and moisture.

Isopropyl alcohol is O.K. but Baader Optical Wonder fluid is better, I think that is what it is called.

Clean as little as possible, and gently. Don't wipe dust particles around the glass.

Do not apply liquid to the glass, only a drop on a dust free special cloth.
Perhaps Zeiss wipes are O.K.

P.S.
Do not store optics or anything in unheated damp garages.
Living by the sea can be challenging because of salt.

Mirror optics are liable to tarnish if not well protected by design or storage.

Do not store binoculars so they could drop to the floor by knocking them, say by a child or pet.
They may get knocked out of collimation.

P.P.S.
Damage can occur by cleaning too much if dirt scratches the coating or glass.

I watched the video. It is O.K.
The problem with brushes is that if you flick dust off the brush, grease from your fingers gets onto the lenses.
So just be aware what you are doing.

I also use Hama microfibre cloths in the little grey plastic tubs.

Last edited:
Binastro has covered all the basis, second all of it, I use microfibre cloths as well, and Isopropryl, have also used the Zeiss lens wipes which are perfectly safe. Coatings on top quality binoculars these days seem pretty robust, but infrequent cleaning is best, bits of dust on the objectives will make no difference to viewing, but any grease may harm coatings.

Amusing aside, I gave an old porro binocular an internal clean, when I looked in the objectives I could see some specks, I removed the objective cells, all looked cleaned, took out the prism shelf, all looked clean, but I used micro cloth and fluid, cleaned again, polished prisms, put everything back, looked in the objectives, still little specks !! Then I found them , the specks were on my glasses 3:)

Yes,
That looks like a good blower, but again be careful not to blow dust into edges.
I had a jewellers bulb with a valve, which I can't find, but I have another bulb.

The Giotto says it also has a valve and is natural rubber.

The most delicate part is the eyelens, rear surface facing your eye.
Often these are cleaned to destruction.
Dust or marks on the objectives are less damaging.

If you think how lenses were made, grinding and polishing glass blanks, then you realise how rubbing dirt particles on lens surfaces is not a good idea.

When cleaning use a soft touch. And clean less rather than more.

Last edited:

Both would be good, but the bulb may be optional. I live in a dry climate so I can blow on the lens without it fogging.

Get a full soft brush, such as the type women use for make up. Blow off as many particles as you can first before using the brush. Then brush lightly while blowing air across the lens. That may be all you need to do most of the time.

The lens pen product is good for the brush. (I do not use the cleaning pad because of concerns of scratching the lens with embedded dirt.)

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-7072-Lens-Cleaning-System/dp/B00006JN3G?th=1&psc=1

If I sneeze on my lenses, should I use lens cleaner or just let the lenses dry out?

Good question and until I started using a nasal spray to control my allergies it was one I used to have to consider a lot

I tried both ways ie waiting for it to dry or tackling it wet and wet is best. It just gets harder to clean when dry and then any dust particles that were on the lens get more securely trapped and you risk scratching the lens as you try to clean.

First, always have your rainguard over the eyepieces when you are out so that this problem only arises at home.

Brush or blow any dust off the dry parts of the eyepiece lens and use a corner of a clean microfibre cloth to gently soak up the wetness. Do this until you can see whether there are any dust particles in there (so you need to do this in good light) if there are, use an optical tissue wipe to pick them up. Just touch them with the moistened tissue so they stick to the edge of it and when you have removed them all use a fresh optical wipe to clean the lens and then a clean microfibre cloth to finish it by breathing on the lens then wiping gently.

Keeping the rainguard on the eyepieces at all times reduces the need for this rigmarole!

Lee

If the rain or crud gets on the lenses when I'm out birding, I just lick them clean. It is not perfect, but it is harmless, it is easy and it works.

..... I just lick them clean. It is not perfect, but it is harmless, ........

Harmless to you or the binocular! :king:

I have read that before. Not to get to deep into the dirty details, but I would think that the saliva would leave a smear or film. Do you follow that up immediately by wiping with a cloth? Umm, maybe I should test on some glass wear.

Harmless to you or the binocular! :king:

I have read that before. Not to get to deep into the dirty details, but I would think that the saliva would leave a smear or film. Do you follow that up immediately by wiping with a cloth? Umm, maybe I should test on some glass wear.

Licking the lenses clean does leave a smear, but the glass again becomes quite usable. When stuff is coming down, it is fast, efficient and easily repeated as necessary.
Once back home the surfaces get rinsed with lukewarm water, then cleaned with a bit of soap suds, then another rinse and patted dry gently with TP.
I have had too many bad experiences wiping lenses with a cloth. :C

If the rain or crud gets on the lenses when I'm out birding, I just lick them clean. It is not perfect, but it is harmless, it is easy and it works.

Same here o:) Licking the lenses and wiping the film off with the T-shirt works well, at least with Lotutec or similar coatings.

At home, when dusty or dirty, I rinse the lenses under a tap, and wipe them clean with a microfiber cloth (which I usually forget to take to the field, thus the T-shirt).

Licking the lenses clean also increases ones resistance to illness. If it doesn't actually cause real harm to start with.
I read that people who bite their nails also build up resistance.

What one doesn't want is to drink the water that collects in an air conditioning unit. It tastes absolutely foul.
Maybe if one filters it through a sock with charcoal in it it would taste better.

My physio deliberately eats apples etc. when they fall on the ground. He says it builds resistance to germs.

I certainly don't fancy licking fungus off lenses.

A couple of years ago I tripped on a raised paving stone. Here the council don't repair things and the potholes are so bad it pushed the rear suspension of our Saab through the metal, and the Saab is tough. Cost £100.
In Liverpool, pavement tripping is said to be a good source of income.

Anyway I couldn't stop the bleeding in my cut thumb, which had a small piece missing, and went up to the doctor on the top floor and she dealt with it well. First running cold water, then binding the thumb.
When my regular doctor undid the bandage, we found that I'd never had a tetanus jab, and he gave me one.

Tripping on pavements is not bad. Tripping on earth the third doctor here said causes infection.

I suppose I am lucky to be surrounded by doctors.

Personally I don't lick lenses, but I do use newly washed old shirts to clean my glasses.

Licking the lenses clean also increases ones resistance to illness. If it doesn't actually cause real harm to start with.
I read that people who bite their nails also build up resistance.

Most dirt on the lenses comes usually from eating sandwich while forgetting to put the rainguard on, so no worries with licking the lense clean. ;)

I would be leery about licking lenses to make them clean.

In the old days golfers used to clean their golf balls by licking them clean. Years later it was noticed that many golfers would come down with cancer of the tongue or lips. It was tracked to that practice.

Bob

I would be leery about licking lenses to make them clean.

In the old days golfers used to clean their golf balls by licking them clean. Years later it was noticed that many golfers would come down with cancer of the tongue or lips. It was tracked to that practice.

Bob

Interesting, had not heard of that previously.
Have to say that I too would be leery of licking golf balls. Given the stuff that gets sprayed on the courses, cancer would almost be expected.

It's all been said really, with (mostly) sound advice from all! I can also vouch for Baader Optical Wonder fluid and their microfibre cloth - used in conjunction with it - is excellent too. My lens cleaning arsenal also includes Zeiss lens wipes and a Lens Pen (slipped in a pocket for 'emergencies'), a rocket blower and a soft, camel hair brush.

When storing optics, particularly for long periods, a few sachets of silica gel in the case with the binocular should take care of any moisture issues.

RB

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back