Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Optolyth and Sony v1 incompatability

Old Wednesday 30th May 2007, 23:59   #1
Jack Daw
Therapy of the green leaf

Optolyth and Sony v1 incompatability

I wonder if any one one could give me some advice on the following problem;
I have at the moment an Optolyth tbg 80 scope , a sony V1 camera and an LE 52mm universal adapter ; a marriage made in hell !!!! I have had this system for over a year now and try as as I can I cannot get a decent image !!!!! I think for one the v1 screen is very small and i find it very hard to get a sharply focussed image !! The Optolyth scope has been fantastic it has a 30mm w/a angle lens and for ordinary birding it has been great. However I have read for good digiscoping results you need ed glass- which my scope has not got. However with the big 50 coming up shortly I have decided to treat myself to a new 'scope the Zeiss 85 with a zoom lens - but still want to have a go at digiscoping. So do I ditch the camera and lens adapter and start all over - more expense or do get a new camera with a bigger screen and more pixels and keep the adapter. There are so many new cameras on the market now - is it worth the expense or do I persevere with the Sony. Is there any one else with a Zeiss set up - any help would be greatly appreciated
RegardsJack
Old Thursday 31st May 2007, 21:12   #2
john-henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Daw View Post
I wonder if any one one could give me some advice on the following problem;
I have at the moment an Optolyth tbg 80 scope , a sony V1 camera and an LE 52mm universal adapter ; a marriage made in hell !!!! I have had this system for over a year now and try as as I can I cannot get a decent image !!!!! I think for one the v1 screen is very small and i find it very hard to get a sharply focussed image !! The Optolyth scope has been fantastic it has a 30mm w/a angle lens and for ordinary birding it has been great. However I have read for good digiscoping results you need ed glass- which my scope has not got. However with the big 50 coming up shortly I have decided to treat myself to a new 'scope the Zeiss 85 with a zoom lens - but still want to have a go at digiscoping. So do I ditch the camera and lens adapter and start all over - more expense or do get a new camera with a bigger screen and more pixels and keep the adapter. There are so many new cameras on the market now - is it worth the expense or do I persevere with the Sony. Is there any one else with a Zeiss set up - any help would be greatly appreciated
RegardsJack
Jack, you've made a good choice in your new scope but if you always rely on focussing via the screen rather than through the scope you always stand the risk of not geting the best focus you can get, try focussing with the scope and then putting the camera in place, I know it's slow and cumbersome and you'll lose many shots because the bird has flown but give it a try on something static and see how you get on. If you find this works better then think about a swing-out adapter for your new scope and perhaps a new camera if your Sony doesn't give you good results. A cable release is also a great asset in getting sharper photos.
Digiscoping isn't easy so anything you can do/get to make it easier helps.

Regards

John

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: