• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Holiday india (1 Viewer)

birdthing

I thinking of taking a birding holiday to india but dont know where to go or when i am 65 years old not the fitest of people but getting better where and when would be best oh and bugget as chep as possible

India is a great destination and for a good value trip then probably start by considering Goa. You can get a package deal dependant on what you want in terms of board.
However if you're not in the best of health, then you really have to look at the logistics from time on a plane (7- 9hours), food, heat and travelling to sites by taxi. For the best birding it's early starts, perhaps a rest in the early afternoon and birding again late afternoon. You can get 3 day trips nearby to see a lot more variety of species but obviously this bumps up costs.
I know someone who did it independently on a budget but that was twenty years ago and we were a lot younger and fitter.
November and December seem the easiest months for a good basic and comfortable trip.

I thinking of taking a birding holiday to india but dont know where to go or when i am 65 years old not the fitest of people but getting better where and when would be best oh and bugget as chep as possible

Hi ! Its so nice that you want to visit India. November and December is the best time to visit India. There are many places here. If your prime interest is wildlife and birding, you can visit my state Assam. There are nos. of wild life sanctuaries here. Since, you are from UK, you can come to Delhi and take direct flight from to Guwahati, the capital of Assam. It is not a very costly city. From here you can visit several sanctuaries viz. Kaziranga (famous for one horned rhino), Manas (tiger reserve), Nameri (White winged wood duck) etc. Winter is not harsh in Assam (between 15 to 25 degree Celsius). For details you can contact me at [email protected].

Regards,

Jayanta

The flying time is not a problem the heat not to bad it's doing it alone that might be a problem food I don't know

Are you talking logistics or finding and identifying birds?

If you stay at the hotel Beira Mar in Goa, you can bird from the patio and will almost certainly meet other birders who you may be able to share days out with if so inclined.

The hotel can hook you up with a taxi driver who will know all the key sites if not the birds, very easy place to do alone.

Ornithology is my passion. I'm too old know to work so birds became my life. And I would tell you that India is great place to look at black kite, asian koel, flamingo etc. I went there when I was a bit yonger. Just plan your trip: place of staying, place of taking photographs. I was using https://indiainfo.space/ So go on I wish you luck my friend.

Just some places you could consider for birding:

My guess is your port of arrival would be Delhi.. The closest birding spots ( from Delhi) .. "Sutanpur Bird sanctuary" (migratory birds like painted storks /cranes easily visible other than quite a variety of local species )..another location "Aravali Bio-diversity Park" ..quite an easy place to reach on the edge of delhi (local birds)
there are other local birding spots : Okhla Sanctuary...these are all within an hours reach by road.
A bit further and requiring an overnight stay (or three) is north of Delhi..The Jim Corbet region (about 7 hours travel by road).. birding throughout the year and another location not so far from Jim corbet is "Sat-tal"..this is another great birding zone.
Yet another area (again about 7 hours drive) is the Rajasthan region .. Tal Chappar and Bikaner (+ 3 hrs) and still further another 3 hours towards the desert region. (i've just posted some birds pics from this region)..best known for Raptors.
All these places could be budgeted for an average of INR 4000/ to 5000/ per day for a reasonable stay with food. Shared accomodation / transport helps to bring down costs.

If you do plan to come this way..let me know..i just might be able to take you to these places for birding.

other than these places (centered around delhi) there are places down in the southern parts of India (more travel time)..the southern states of Goa/Kerela/Andhra.. and a bit on the eastern coast :Orrisa ( Manglajodi - A winter paradise for birds ).

..and the Nort-Eastern area : Assam/Arunachal are beautiful birding destinations (both as places as well as birds) .. more travel time from Delhi..but if you have the inclination/time/funds....these areas can be most rewarding.

I could give you specifics about all these places .. just look up the map once to get the geographical nature of these areas..
and at least in the local neighbourhood of Delhi, i am around for birding company (so you won't be alone).

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back