• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New to digiscoping, seeking advice. (1 Viewer)

Alan215

I am new to digiscoping and am seeking advice. Although my application is not birding, I hope some of you can help me. I want to take landscape photos from my 6th floor apartment in an urban (Buffalo NY) setting.

I am seeking advice on a scope, tripod, and adapter to connect either an iPad or an iPhone to the scope. I've read through much of the equipment reviews on this site; if anything, I'm more confused now than I was before I joined the forum.

Portability is not a consideration because the tripod, scope, and adapter will rarely leave the floor of my building.

The only two tablet to scope adapters I've found on the web are from Gosky and Novagrade. Neither one can handle my 12.9 iPad Pro tablet. Is there another adapter that can handle this tablet?

I've seen any number of phone to scope adapters from Gosky, Novagrade, and other brands. The Novagrade gets good reviews, but one reviewer complained that it was hard to use with the phone mounted horizontally.

For the scope, I have no idea how to choose. I would like ease of use and high quality. Cost is not a major consideration. However, since I will be using a phone or tablet for my camera, I wonder if a high end scope would be overkill.

For the tripod, my only thought is that since it will be used mainly inside an apartment building, it does not have to be very rugged.

I'd appreciate any help you can give me on these items. Also, can you recommend any online merchants in the United States who can give me good advice?

Many thanks,
- Alan

Hi Allan, welcome to BF from all the staff here. I've moved your thread to the main digiscoping section as it covers many aspects, and sometimes posts can get overlooked in some of the more obscure subforums.

I will say, I'd concentrate on the scope itself, you're likely to get a many decades of enjoyment from the scope from your elevated position... the other bits come and go on a regular basis.

cheers,
Andy

Digiscoping for landscape photgraphy, are you sure? Unless you're aim is to take fotos of tiny details of the city around you, I'd rather recommend to take a normal camera, e.g. s bridge which go from wide angle to large zoom.

Unless you're aim is to take fotos of tiny details of the city around you ...

Thank you for your comment. You helped my wife and I clarify what we want to do. We want to get details of buildings, of public monuments, and the like.

- Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back