• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GPO Passion ED 8x42 (1 Viewer)

Hi folks just interested to know if anyone who owns or have used Passion ED models and still find it equally good or better than models in a similar price range.

Thanks

As far as I know, „Bestbinocularsreviews“ gets paid for their reviews, so I take their reviews with more than one grain of salt .....
Before you you bad mouth a website do your research!

From the BBR Website.

"100% Real & Honest Reviews
I would like to make it completely clear that all the reviews and advice that I give on the BBR website and the video channel are my own honest and completely genuine opinions and I am in no way compensated to describe a binocular in a particular way or with a bias.

In other words, if I think a binocular or a feature on it is great, I will say so. If I think it is rubbish or it is weak in certain areas, I will also point them out.

Before writing and publishing any binocular review, I thoroughly research, test and use the instrument in my office as well as out in the field. I also conduct comprehensive comparisons between the binocular under review with a number of benchmark binoculars in both good and bad light conditions.

Whilst I make every effort not to, I do make the occasional error or am sometimes supplied with the wrong details. If you spot any mistakes, please feel free to contact me so that I can rectify it/them."

https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/about.php

Last edited:
Don‘t be so naive, Dennis!

Just look at the very bottom of their webpage, then google the term „Mediavine“ that you find there, and you will see that these reviews serve primarily amazon, but also others to sell binoculars and other products.

Again, Dennis, do your homework first before you post!

Canip
That doesn't mean in no way they are getting paid for their reviews or that their reviews are biased in any way at all. IMO their reviews are very fair and accurate and I would trust them more than many other reviews. You are inferring something that is not true.

Last edited:
Don‘t be so naive, Dennis!

Just look at the very bottom of their webpage, then google the term „Mediavine“ that you find there, and you will see that these reviews serve primarily amazon, but also others to sell binoculars and other products.

Again, Dennis, do your homework first before you post!

Canip
I asked the BBR website, Jason in particular about Mediavine and your accusation. Here was his answer.

‎Dennis Mau‎ to Best Binocular Reviews
Are your reviews compensated in anyway or biased because of that compensation? I noticed at the bottom of the page it say's "Exclusive Member of Mediavine Home." which does reviews for Amazon.com.

Best Binocular Reviews
" Hi Dennis, My reviews are 100% unbiased and are completely my own opinion of the instrument I have tested after thoroughly using them. I don't know where you got your information on Mediavine from but they don't do reviews, rather they are my advertisement management company which I use to serve ads on my website. These ads are the way I make money and thus are vital for me to continue. However, the ads they serve in no way has any sort of influence on what I write about.
Hope this helps
Kind regards
Jason"

I get really tired of people saying review sites like Allbino's, Best Binocular Reviews, Audubon, Scope Views or Binomania are compensated or biased when they have no proof to substantiate such claims. Often times they try to say the reviews are false or inaccurate for these reasons because they don't rate the binocular they own very highly. Unless you can prove without a doubt that BBR is compensated for their reviews or for some other reason they are biased in anyway you should remove your derogatory post against the website because you are just spreading false information about the website all over the internet.

Last edited:
I asked the BBR website, Jason in particular about Mediavine and your accusation. Here was his answer.

‎Dennis Mau‎ to Best Binocular Reviews
Are your reviews compensated in anyway or biased because of that compensation? I noticed at the bottom of the page it say's "Exclusive Member of Mediavine Home." which does reviews for Amazon.com.

Best Binocular Reviews
" Hi Dennis, My reviews are 100% unbiased and are completely my own opinion of the instrument I have tested after thoroughly using them. I don't know where you got your information on Mediavine from but they don't do reviews, rather they are my advertisement management company which I use to serve ads on my website. These ads are the way I make money and thus are vital for me to continue. However, the ads they serve in no way has any sort of influence on what I write about.
Hope this helps
Kind regards
Jason"

I get really tired of people saying review sites like Allbino's, Best Binocular Reviews, Audubon or Binomania are compensated or biased when they have no proof to substantiate such claims. Often times they try to say the reviews are false or inaccurate for these reasons because they don't rate the binocular they own very highly. Unless you can prove without a doubt that BBR is compensated for their reviews or for some other reason they are biased in anyway you should remove your derogatory post against the website because you are just spreading false information about the website all over the internet.

Dennis can you verify the Alpha level binocular Jason uses for his reviews is the Vortex Razor HD?

"To help me to be as consistent as possible, I have a number of benchmark binoculars which are used to compare and then rank the view against. For this review, I used my "alpha" level 10x42 benchmark and a mid-level 10x42 binocular for comparison:"

If he could tell us what his control binoculars are it would helpful.

Last edited:
Dennis,

this is my last post on this subject.

Bestbinocularreviews is, according to their own website, an "Exclusive Member of Mediavine Home".

Read some of the material on the Mediavine website, e.g.

"Partnership opportunities with Mediavine publishers are endless. Our influencers can help put your brand in front of some of the most desirable audiences you’ll find online."
unquote

etc.

For me, that says it all.

Canip
Canip. That quote about Mediavine does not mean in any way that BBR's reviews are compensated or biased. It is just talking about their advertising which they need to support the website. Be careful what you say about a website on an internet forum unless you have undeniable proof that it is true. It could be considered defamation and legally they could sue you for it. I recommend you remove your defamatory post about BBR. Just letting you know.

From the BBR website.

"As you may know, here on BBR I pride myself on the fact that every review I write is only conducted after I have thoroughly used, tested and researched the binocular, scope or other devices in question.
What is more, all of the reviews on the BBR website are completely genuine. I am not sponsored and do not take any sort of compensation to write about a binocular in a particular way. In other words, every review on BBR is completely genuine and 100% my honest opinion of the instrument."

Last edited:
Dennis can you verify the Alpha level binocular Jason uses for his reviews is the Vortex Razor HD?

"To help me to be as consistent as possible, I have a number of benchmark binoculars which are used to compare and then rank the view against. For this review, I used my "alpha" level 10x42 benchmark and a mid-level 10x42 binocular for comparison:"

If he could tell us what his control binoculars are it would helpful.
ZZZZZZ. The alpha level binocular BBR uses is the Vortex Razor UHD 10x42 not the HD. It scored 92% or the "Very Best" one point behind the Swarovski EL 8.5x42 which scored 93%. The HD would be a mid-tier binocular but is still a very good binocular.

https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Vortex-Razor-UHD-10x42-Binoculars-Review-255.htm

Last edited:
ZZZZZZ. The alpha level binocular BBR uses is the Vortex Razor UHD 10x42 not the HD. It scored 92% or the "Very Best" one point behind the Swarovski EL 8.5x42 which scored 93%. The HD would be a mid-tier binocular but is still a very good binocular.

https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Vortex-Razor-UHD-10x42-Binoculars-Review-255.htm

No that’s not right Jason just reviewed the UHD.

Jason has been doing reviews since at least 2012 and owned the Razor HD since then.

I thought it would be helpful if we knew the benchmark binoculars he uses for the reviews.

He scored the Razor HD at 90% in 2012 “very best” same score he gave the GPO HD in 2019. However in 2018 Jason scored the Maven B2 at 85% “outstanding” and the UHD at 92% in 2020.

Last edited:
Note to readers of this thread:
I deleted my posts which were a deviation from the subject matter of this thread, the GPO Passion ED 8x42.
Canip

From the BBR website.

"As you may know, here on BBR I pride myself on the fact that every review I write is only conducted after I have thoroughly used, tested and researched the binocular, scope or other devices in question."

I examined the BBR website. I couldn't find anything that resembled a "...thoroughly... tested and researched..." review. I read a bunch of boilerplate straight from the marketing departments of a small odd list of importers and rebranders combined with a lot of "ultra" and "super" type superlatives from the reviewer and a little box with some meaningless numbers. Were we looking at the same thing?

I examined the BBR website. I couldn't find anything that resembled a "...thoroughly... tested and researched..." review. I read a bunch of boilerplate straight from the marketing departments of a small odd list of importers and rebranders combined with a lot of "ultra" and "super" type superlatives from the reviewer and a little box with some meaningless numbers. Were we looking at the same thing?

From Jason's Facebook page

My interest in binoculars and indeed in optics in general began whilst I was working as a safari guide (field guide) in South Africa, where I was using binoculars almost every single day as an indispensable tool of my job.
The idea for The Best Binocular Reviews website came about from the frustration I felt whilst looking for a new pair for myself - It was really difficult to find any good information as well as unbiased and objective evaluations on the web about any of the models I was interested in.
Thus the aim BBR is to help in some small way by providing useful information on binoculars and related optical products, as well as completely unbiased reviews on selected products and brands and offer tips and guides to those looking into buying a pair.

Some folks on this forum desperately need an advocate, or at least someone else to validate their own experience. If BBR's opinions align with their own, then who cares whether its boilerplate or not? ;-) I don't think the folks that post links like this expect anyone to question the content or validity of the link, like what is happening here. Interesting...

Henry and Canip, I do trust your opinions and instincts on this issue, btw.

-Bill

This is really no worse than average. The Internet is chock full of such stuff today, superficial gushing "reviews" (with links to purchase and generate revenue of course) by people most of whom don't even use words like "test" and "research", and the rest seem to have a different definition of them.

Henry. BBR needs a Binocular Reviewer. I think with your technical knowledge about binoculars and optics you would be an excellent candidate! You could get rid of all that "boilerplate". I would love to read your reviews. They would send you binoculars to test. A dream job for you. You can also make some money on the side. Here is the link for the position.

https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/blog/bbr-writer-needed-11/

Last edited:
Heaping superlatives on binoculars I've been paid to "review" would not be my dream job.
Henry. You would be paid because you are writing a review for BBR. I know that you would not be biased in any way. Your reviews cut to the chase. That is why I think you should apply. You could bring objective testing to their website with an optics testing lab where you could dissect the binoculars. It would be the best binocular review site on the web! Forget Allbino's.;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back