• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bresser corvette 10x40 (1 Viewer)

publin

HI! bresser corvette 10 x40 multicoated and air achromat very nice and copmpact stracture and german made is someone can have more information about this bino?

Attachments

• img_20191031_183837.jpg
    img_20191031_183837.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 51
  • img_20191031_183754.jpg
    img_20191031_183754.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Corvettes were mentioned here some time go.
I think one of the best Bressers.

Air achromat means uncemented objectives maybe with a gap.
It says multicoated, so this should help.

Probably a good binocular if well aligned.

There is I think a more modern Corvette maybe cemented objectives? 10x50?

B.

bresser corvette 10x40

Corvettes were mentioned here some time go.
I think one of the best Bressers.

Air achromat means uncemented objectives maybe with a gap.
It says multicoated, so this should help.

Probably a good binocular if well aligned.

There is I think a more modern Corvette maybe cemented objectives? 10x50?

B.
HI BINASTRO! this earlyer bino from bresser is not the roof corvette bino which is high quality and expensive also. the air-achromat marking is maybe written on earlyer bino"s for highlight that the lenses are coated but not on meny binoculars can seem this caption. most of the high quality i bino"s lenses are achromat coated to prevent light wave dispertion and color fringing on edge .as I can guses this dont have bak4 prism? generaly bresser have good bino"s I have the bresser hunter 10x25 with bk7 prism but yet good quality comper to her small size. sold today on ebay for 4 gbp in uk! so bargain price or not so good as it looks like?

Last edited:
The air achromat, if honestly stated on the Corvette 10x40, means that the objectives are not cemented with the two inner curves the same.
This usually means that the inner curves are different, giving an extra degree of freedom in design for better correction.
The two elements will be held apart.

Sometimes in telescopes there is oil between the two elements, but here it says air.

If additionally there is a sizable air gap, this gives further correction, as in say a Fraunhofer long focus objective.

This is nothing to do with coating.

However, to avoid ghosting, it is better if the surfaces of the objective are multicoated.

Whether the glass is BK7 or not is not really something to worry about if the prisms are big enough.

Achromat coating means nothing, except with Minolta lenses, which had early double layer coatings.

Achromat means two lens elements instead of one for colour correction. It is nothing to do with coatings.

Coatings reduce the light loss by reflection.
An uncoated surface has a 4% to 5% light loss.
A single coating about 1% light loss.
Multicoating less than 1% light loss.
This depends on the wavelength of light and the light loss varies with wavelength.
Also with the angle of the light.

Taylor Hobson patented tunable 3 layer coating about 1955.

Multicoating started commercially in Liechtenstein about 1946.

Single coating was known in England in the 1890s and chemical coating started in England in the early 1900s.

Zeiss were doing coating as we know today about 1933 in secret.

B.

P.S.
The Hunter 10x25 is a cheap roof prism binocular. These are typically £8 to £20 new.
I have bought several of these types of binocular from charity shops for about £2.50 in good condition.

Many Bresser binoculars are low quality, with a few better quality.
They may say Germany, but few have anything to do with being made in Germany.

The Corvette 10x50 Porroprism binocular is one of the better Bressers. 5.1 degree field. Still rather low cost.

Last edited:
thanks for your explaintion. achromat lenses is common on meny binoculars but not mentioned on a label / registered on the bino. coating is really the importent metter. about my cheap 10x25 bresser is not good/ HIGH QUALITY but comper to another small 10x25 bino"s IT OK! but you have mistake about bresser items as I mentioned they have high quality bino's like condor series / PIRSCH ed and more! you wrong estimate german brand [ there is no !! fake bresser or eshenbach brand] if you have or will buy bino"s from this brands you will understand more about german quality!

Hi publin,

I agree that low priced roof prism 10x25s are quite good. I use them myself.
But they are not phase coated and rather dim. Also not waterproof, and prisms just glued in.

As to Bresser. They may claim to be German, but many or most are not made in Germany. The only thing German is the actual company, and even that may no longer be true?

I have two Bresser 15x60s. Clearly not made in Germany.
Claimed to be fully coated, but almost devoid of coatings.
The glass is grey, i.e. impure glass. The transmission poor.
The main use of these Bresser 15x60s is as weights to hold the door open, or as paper weights.
But they were low price, so I got what I paid for.
Probably made in China.

I have the Bresser SWA binoculars. 92 degree AFOV simple.
They do indeed have enormous fields, and have mirror prisms like a Leica Amplivid on steroids.
For me the view is very poor, distorted and guaranteed to give headaches.
Also available under other names, Ascot? and others.
Again not made in Germany.

As to Eschenbach. They did make optics in Germany, but I think most are now far east.
They make quite good optics for people with poor vision.
I think that their binoculars are imported, not German.

I have a low magnification Eschenbach Galilean type head worn binocular.
Interesting, but impossible to set the IPD without a ruler, and not much fun optically either.
I think their hand magnifiers are probably good.

Even high quality German companies have binoculars made in China.

I would also disagree about coatings being more important than having achromatic doublets for objectives.
I have some great Leica uncoated binoculars.
I don't think that binoculars with simple one glass element objectives would be well thought of.

In fact the binocular objectives are not even achromats.
A 40mm objective needs to be f/4.8 to f/8 to be considered truly achromatic.
They are actually f/4 or f/3.8, so show false colour.
But at low magnifications they are acceptable.

As to no fake Bresser binoculars.
Who would want to fake a Bresser binocular?

I like the Mirador 10x40.

B.

Last edited:
HI BINASTRO! this ' cheap " 10x25 bresser is the lowest quality of bresser and not only bk7 prisms also they have pin cushion distortion .so I don'T give much attention to them. as you aware that 90% - 95% of all bino"s brand manufactured in china only the technology and the inspection came from the all brands. like all home appliance. except maybe ? meopta [ czech republic] or zeiss / SWOROVSKI . that is why my collection is vintage bino"s [ steiner bayreuth 10x30] [baigish 8x30] and also modern bino"s celestrone 15x70 skymaster and levehuk 8x32 very nice quality based on california? I HAVE a question when start to use bak4 prisms on bino"s? IS ALL THE russian/ GERMAN vintage have bak4? like komzs/ tento/ baigish/berkut also they don"t have f.m.c lens or even multy coated but yet they provide very good optic and be requested also today!

Hi,

Bresser is known today mainly for cheap astro stuff in germany - some is quite usable, some not so much. That would explain the mention of an air-spaced doublet objective as in the astro scene this and its advantages (and mechanical challenges) over a cemented or a plain Fraunhofer or Steinheil design might be known.

I certainly would not buy these unseen unless for very cheap...

Joachim

HI JOACHIM! you are from germany so you know better about german brands. what is your opinion on eshenbach brand? they also make medical glases and bino"s as I mailed to binastro 90% of the bino"s brand"s be produced in china only the technology and the system control by the bino"s company. eshenbach also famous to there eyeglases quality and binoculars. you understand that this 2 bino"s brand in germany is lowest level then stiener or sworovske or zeiss all made from germany . but yet they are good !! then meny bino"s brand from all the world.

HI JOACHIM! you are from germany so you know better about german brands. what is your opinion on eshenbach brand? they also make medical glases and bino"s as I mailed to binastro 90% of the bino"s brand"s be produced in china only the technology and the system control by the bino"s company. eshenbach also famous to there eyeglases quality and binoculars. you understand that this 2 bino"s brand in germany is lowest level then stiener or sworovske or zeiss all made from germany . but yet they are good !! then meny bino"s brand from all the world.

Swarovski is Austrian

Steiner were originally German but many new models are produced in the Far East and are not in the same class of the modern quality of Leica or Zeiss.

Eschenbach binoculars probably fall into the same category as Steiner.

The number of binocular makers world wide is low.
The number of brands is high.

If somebody wants their own name or brand, it is only necessary to buy perhaps 200? units and any name will be put on the binocular.
In addition, some far east makers will put whatever false specifications on the binocular asked for.
90x90. 10 degrees field at 60 times magnification, i.e. perhaps 600 degrees AFOV so one can see all the way round the back of ones head twice.

Although only a monocular, I have seen the 10x50, 12x50, 15x50 and 20x50 monoculars probably from China with about ten different names.
The boxes are identical. All the same monoculars.
The glowing adverts describe how wonderful they are.
I don't find them to be very good, but some examples work well.

As to Bresser, the 10x50s are found at Lidl for £15 or 15 euros new.
The majority are out of alignment.
But if one goes there and tries a dozen, three will probably be quite adequate.

In many cases there is little or no quality control.

The term 'German quality' has been used for close on a hundred years. It does not mean the binocular was made in Germany.

At one time Made in Britain or Made in England was good. In some cases it still is.

One should not believe what is written on a binocular, unless from a reputed maker. Even then one has to try it oneself.

B.

Hi,

as for brands - the only two german companies who design binoculars are Zeiss and Leica (Swarovski is Austrian). Zeiss might also do some final assembly in Germany (from parts made elsewhere) to warrant the "Made in Germany", Leica does produce all their bins in Portugal iirc and labels them accordingly.

Bresser and Eschenbach certainly only resell stuff designed by big OEMs which might be made in China, Taiwan or even Japan for the top models. This is not a bad thing in itself - the big OEMs design lots and lots of binoculars and telescopes each year and are quite a bit more probable to get it right than a german company of mainly salespeople and which might have hired one designer...
I have a pair of 8x42 Eschenbachs which are certainly worth the 230 or so Euros I paid for then as an open box demo and would not have fared too badly at their intended 450 Euro pricepoint if they didn't have a very short eye relief - which doesn't bother me but will make it unusable for those who use them with glasses.

Steiner is a difficult case... they tout all of their bins are made in germany, at least on their US page... not so much on the german one - but we don't know how much of those and who designed them... the requirement for that label are kinda lax.
And they have also brought the "autofocus" binoculars to the world... which basically meant individual focus and hope the user has enough accomodation left to see a somewhat sharp image from 50m to infinity...
Some of their top models are actually kinda good but priced like alphas - at least list. On the market they tend to sell way below list and you might get a good deal if you do your research and find a good model.
But of course, Steiner is owned by Beretta - maker of things quite a bit off topic here - most birders in Germany would not want to be seen with a pair of Steiners...

PS: a certain amount of pincushion distortion is not a bad thing in a binocular and actually added on purpose by the designer in order to combat the so-called rolling ball effect seen when panning sideways.

Joachim

I think that Optolyth made their own binoculars in Germany, as did several other makers.
But I don't know if there are any present makers other than Zeiss and Leica.

I think that some of the top Zeiss and Leica photographic lenses are still made in Germany.

B.

I think that Optolyth made their own binoculars in Germany, as did several other makers.
But I don't know if there are any present makers other than Zeiss and Leica.

I think that some of the top Zeiss and Leica photographic lenses are still made in Germany.

B.

Hi Binastro,

yes, you are right - I forgot Optolyth - thanks for adding them!
They indeed seem to still have production in Germany (not sure if for all their lines) but their bino offerings are quite clearly aimed at hunters (with the only modern roof line having only 7x42 and 8x56 models).

Joachim

I suppose that Docter binoculars might still be made in Germany.

Some German binoculars may be made in Czech factories or in Hungary.

There were many German made binoculars, say by Emil Busch, Schneider and so on.
I think that Schneider makes high quality photographic lenses and optics nowadays.

I suppose that there are good Czech designers, and there are designers who contract out to other firms and countries.

Russia seems to have innovative designers, as they always have had, while also making copies of other countries products.

Romania, Poland etc. also make binoculars.
Large numbers of binoculars were made in France.
There were high quality Swiss binoculars.

Regards,
B.

Hi,

well Docter is gone - there is now Noblex and their web page does not list where their bins are made. There is a pricelist on the german webpage which touts Made in Germany and then limits that to Designed in Germany and made in Japan in a footnote - in a way which does not really make it clear which models the footnote applies to.

My guess would be that the only products actually made in Eisfeld, Germany are the mono 8x21 (aka CZF Turmon) and the Noblex B/GA in 7x40 and 10x42 (successors of the legendary NVA 7x40 EDF made by CZF). The rest looks like OEM.

Joachim

HI! no one mention meopta czech brand? maybe they also be produced in china .....? my conclusion from all the thread"s that is hard to believe that brand like stiener/ eshenbach/ bresser/ dokter with there german brand site"s on the internet will throw away there reputation and honorable name to china factory"s with out good supervision for the quality product"s and selling them all over the world !! I forgot to mention bushnell? / tasco/ or pentax or olympus also japan brand but produced in china also!! most of the nature/birders amateur can't afford to by the high end bino"s like leica / zeiss/sworvesky/meopta that my opinion they don't worth the money to buy them comper to less a bit brand"s I mention upward. 50% of there high cost price is for there name and reputation only!

publin,

There are many threads and posts regarding Meopta and other brands. Just search the Optics forums.

Might I suggest that thousands of bird and wildlife watchers ( both commercial and leisure ) worldwide, use the most expensive brands and alpha models for a good reason.....to obtain the best images of their subject that may be a once in a lifetime experience.

Many will not have the financial means for these expensive units, as you state, but this applies to most consumer goods - cars / computers / food etc. They all work but some better than others.
Have you personally used any of the 50% overpriced brands ?

There are reasons why I would not consider nor use a < €50 binocular.

Hi publin,

Even the £2,000 binoculars of the top names are not perfect.
But they can be very good.
Birdwatchers choose these if they can.

People who smoke or drink waste £2,000 in perhaps a couple of years.
That is their choice.

A car will cost £2,000 a year even if not strictly necessary.

Military viewing devices can cost £10,000 to £100,00 and even these are not perfect.

I have got some great binoculars from charity shops for £15 to £20.
Here one exchanges time for money.

The Nikon Aculon binoculars at £100 or less are perfectly adequate for astronomy.
But birdwatchers need waterproof, toughness etc. and higher performance.

As to the brand names mentioned above, several are certainly not high end.

Regards,
B.

HI! I dont have and will not !! buy this overprice bino"s .as I mentioned 50% of the value cost go to there famous name and reputetionof for this " high end " brand's. as binastro said birdwachers like you will spend any amount for " waching birds". insted of spend on drinks or smoke or drugs.... but my point is there is world wide brand"s not only the german famous bino"s like american brand"s [vortex/vixen/opticron/leupold / bar&stroud and more.... with best quality and less then 50% !! so in all kind of product [ not only bino"s ] need to be wise and smart bayer!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back