• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BF IT Issues. (1 Viewer)

Gander

Photo Attachment Issues.

I have been having problems all week with the BF website. I keep being logged out when typing posts (only takes 5-10 mins), and of course I lose the post (I'm now copying just in case).

In addition to that, it has now become hit and miss when attaching photos to a post. Photos are the right size, but are refusing to attach most of the time, then the whole site freezes up. I usually have to come out and go back in again to un-freeze the site, although sometimes I have to wait a while to be able to get back in.

Sometimes the photos attach with no problem, so I don't think the problem is with them. I've encountered the same problem on different computers, so don't think it is anything this end.

Last edited:
Hi Paul

Sorry to hear you're having so many problems lad. I think this must be more a PC issue than a BF site issue, as otherwise we'd be inundated with members reporting it.

Therefore, I think your post is probably better in the Computer forum, and I'll move it there, but first could you advise the operating system you have and what browser etc you use.

.... and have you tried a different browser?

Could be a service provider issue if there isn't enough bandwidth available at the time either due to demand being high or resource low due to a server being out of service. BT's system monitors bandwidth actively so sometimes I can only attach two photos to an email but at what I think are quieter times I can attach 4 or 5. This implies to me that if customers were allowed to attach as many photos or other attachments as they like the system would run too slow or sometimes crash. I am wondering whether Paul's service provider was running on marginal capacity.

Lee

Hi Paul

Sorry to hear you're having so many problems lad. I think this must be more a PC issue than a BF site issue, as otherwise we'd be inundated with members reporting it.

Therefore, I think your post is probably better in the Computer forum, and I'll move it there, but first could you advise the operating system you have and what browser etc you use.

.... and have you tried a different browser?

I'm using MAC OS High Sierra 10.13.4. Browser is Safari.

I was wondering why no one else was having problems, but as I was getting problems offshore on different system and browser, I was kind of stumped.

The error message I usually get when trying to attach photo is "502 bad gateway" if that helps.

Sorry, Paul, it doesn't help me LOL, but maybe someone more knowledgeable.

I've now moved your thread to the computer section, to see if anyone with techie expertise can help.

I've seen the 502 error come up in the past, but it's been very odd occasions and I never got to the bottom of it.

Hopefully it'll be resolved soon Paul. Congratulations on the Hoopoe by the way.

Rich

Thanks Rich. Last one I saw was nearly 40 years ago on the Gower peninsula. I was up on the cliffs near Culver Hole, when the bird flew in from the Bristol Channel. Never thought my next one would be in Scotland.

The first Hoopoe I saw was back in the1990's at the Heavy Horse Centre in Glencarse. Plodding around the car park too LOL. Completely unconcerned by all the comings and goings.

Then about 12 years ago had a fly-by in Lithuania. But that's all. Well done on your recent one Paul, bet you were glad to be on-shore while he was here!!

Better luck next year with your 200 then Paul.... swings and roundabouts maybe;)

You didn't really have a good autumn on the rig, did you.

Hi Paul,

When you say photos are 'refusing to attach', can you talk me through what you're seeing? Do you also know how large the photos are (filesize, in kb or mb, not dimensions)? And finally, are you talking about the gallery, or the forum, or both?

Thanks,

Ollie

Hi Ollie. The photo problem will be in the Forums, he doesn't have a Gallery..... yet;)

I can't answer the size issue for him though, but he's posted many pictures in his threads.

Hi Paul,

When you say photos are 'refusing to attach', can you talk me through what you're seeing? Do you also know how large the photos are (filesize, in kb or mb, not dimensions)? And finally, are you talking about the gallery, or the forum, or both?

Thanks,

Ollie

Hi Ollie,
As Delia says, I attach photos on the forum only. Photos are sized correctly (1600x1200 and less than 900 kb). I am fairly sure that it is nothing to do with the photos, as sometimes a photo that does not upload 3 or 4 times, will load on a subsequent attempt.

I've just upgraded my operating system from MAC OS High Sierra to Mojave. Will attempt to load photos tonight to see if any difference has been made.

Problem still exists. Just posted and attached two photos. First photo attached, but took far longer than usual. Second photo took three attempts before it uploaded.

I think maybe Troubador is correct in thinking it is a service provider issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back