• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon FF (and DX) Mirrorless rumours/ announcements (1 Viewer)

The only USP for a Nikon mirrorless camera at that size, would be a larger sensor. If the rumors are correct and the bayonet is 65mm, it's possible.

Fuji film GFX bayonet diameter is 65mm (internet spec) and the Hasselblad X1D diameter is 61mm.

Medium format (or close to) would make the Nikon interesting, otherwise, it's just another mirrorless camera, 5 years too late.

Does a larger sensor mandate correspondingly more heroic lenses or can adapters such as Metabones allow wider options?

New Teaser images & 23rd August confirmation as Announcement date

New teaser image, some enhanced ones, and some pretty good dimensional guesses: https://www.nikonrumors.co/new-teas...rless-camera-and-announcement-date-confirmed/

As far as the Medium Format capability speculation goes, it seems the new 49mm Z mount would limit the amount of frame able to be captured to 1:1 (Medium Format Square), or about 1.1:1 at most (approx - 36mm x 33 mm) ..... quite a limited Market I feel given the expense and limitations.

Nikon-mirrorless-camera-swoosh.jpg

Nikon-mirrorless-camera-swoosh-edit.jpg

Nikon-mirrorless-full-frame-camera4.jpg

Chosun :gh:

Does a larger sensor mandate correspondingly more heroic lenses or can adapters such as Metabones allow wider options?

Unfortunately the press release says: "next-generation full-frame (Nikon FX-format) mirrorless camera and NIKKOR lenses featuring a new mount."

Nikon have always been arguing very firmly that a "Full Frame" 24x36mm sensor is enough for everything...

But possibly it will be easier for Nikon to make wider lenses that are closer in image quality to those for medium format. Or maybe just an adaptation to the shorter flange distance and adapters for old lenses.

This camera does not seem very exciting. But low expectations might help.

Last edited:
"This new mount is Nikon's response to the challenges of the future."

Apparently it will solve the environmental and greenhouse gas problems, pretty impressive.

"Gateway to a New Dimension" .....

Looks like it will also have warp drive, teleporters, worm holes, or stargates too ! :-O

"Gateway to a New Dimension" .....

Looks like it will also have warp drive, teleporters, worm holes, or stargates too ! :-O

Nikon marketing is definitely warping into a new dimension here.
Leica's 3D claim for the Noctivid seems quite modest in comparison.

The mount looks really big on the comparison photos.
Edge sharpness will probably be as good as MFT with those new
lenses. Lightyears more expensive though, probably. :smoke:

Last edited:

Hahaha ! :-O

Quite funny :) and on point too ..... Nikon, with their delays, and quite deliberate (and drawn out) 'teaser' campaign, have built this thing up to be bigger than Ben Hur ....

It had want to be good. Not just matching the competition good - but moving the game on good. Significantly.

From what we know so far, I'm not sure that is possible with what they are going to deliver.

Also, with that large grip it should handle very well with large lenses, but even with the smallest (or pancake even) lenses it still won't be at all pocketable as a walk around travel cam ....

I honestly don't know why manufacturers don't come up with a 'transformer' style horizontal grip ?? They seem to have the attachment, connection, functionality, and weather proofing down pat with their vertical grip accessories - so it's just a matter of deciding to do it :t:

New Nikon FF Mirrorless cameras to be called:
Z6 - 24MP, high speed, low light (aka Sony A9 competitor?)
Z7 - 45MP, (aka Sony A7R III competitor?)

Sensors are CMOS - no mention of BSI or Stacked architecture.

3 lenses will also be announced on the 23rd August:
24-70 f4
50 f1.8
and an f1.8 wideangle of either 24, 28, or 35mm.

https://www.nikonrumors.co/nikon-z6...as-to-be-announced-on-august-23rd-w-3-lenses/

Also - soon after will come the announcement of the new Z-NOCT-NIKKOR 58mm f0.95

https://www.nikonrumors.co/z-noct-nikkor-58mm-f-0-95-lens-to-be-announced-soon/

So the original mail as reported in my OP was pretty close to the mark then.
Strange naming convention for the Nikon FF Mirrorless models don't you think?

Interesting report here https://www.nikonrumors.co/nikon-z7...850-free-f-to-z-adapter-shipping-in-november/

The 45MP CMOS (some sources list it as BSI also) sensor of the Z7 will 'compete' with the Sony a7R III, and be better than the Nikon D850 due to the architecture.

The new adapter will also be "pretty much free" when purchasing either the Z6 or Z7 and make up to 400 lenses compatible (with either electronic or mechanical apertures).

It seems that some of the lenses will also have Fresnel elements to keep the size and weight down .....

Shipping will be in November.

“Just spoken to a franchise director at LCE, apparently Thursday will be a very exciting day indeed. The adapter for the new mirrorless camera will pretty much be free when bought with either model, and the adaptor will make upto 400 lenses compatible so that’ll make all lenses with either electronic or mechanical apertures compatible. The sensor will be better than the D850 owing to how they’ve constructed the diodes and the way it’s capturing more light, and the new range of lenses will have fresnel elements to give an ‘effective’ larger aperture (so I was told a 1.8 will be marketed as 1.8 but behaves like a 1.4, and be tiny) much like their new 300mm that shrunk
Pre orders coming Thursday to ship mid November“

First leaked product photos of Z6 and Z7:

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/08/21/...-the-nikon-z6-and-z7-mirrorless-cameras.aspx/

Not sure about the buttons 'n controls, grip looks rather low.
Probably need a battery grip to make the Z cams comfy to hold.
D500 (or D300s) is pretty much ergonomic perfection IMO as you don't need a battery grip.

35 and 50mm looks kind if "smallish", but how light could they be with the larger mount?

Lens photos here:

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/08/21/the-new-z-nikkor-mirrorless-full-frame-lenses.aspx/#more-124967

Last edited:
Not sure about the buttons 'n controls, grip looks rather low.
Probably need a battery grip to make the Z cams comfy to hold.
D500 (or D300s) is pretty much ergonomic perfection IMO as you don't need a battery grip.

I don’t know. The overlays in the post below make it seem they tried to keep the grip the same as the DSLR’s, with perhaps more room for your fingers. I like what I see in general as far as the design, although I prefer Fuji’s LCD that tilts to any angle.

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/08/22/a-closer-look-at-the-nikon-z6-and-z7-mirrorles-cameras.aspx/

It’s looking like a nice camera to me. Good grief Nikon should have done this years ago.

Dave

Ok, maybe Vespobuteo is right. That photo makes it more obvious these Z cameras are significantly smaller than the D850 and the reduction in size could be an issue for some.

Dave

Some of these latter, and clearer shots (particularly the plan view - if to accurate comparison scale, as has already been mentioned), show a rather diminutive camera ..... more Sony a7R III than anything else. All is forgivable ergonomics-wise provided that the grip is large enough and fills the hand.

I will have to get one in hand, but it now doesn't look like the grip is as handful filling as the ergonomically just about perfect D500 ..... apologies for my earlier enthusiasm! :) It will be real interesting to see how this body handles the new 5 or 600mm f5.6 PF lenses (hopefully with the option of a native mirorless Z mount).

It will also be interesting to see confirmation or not of the rumoured fresnel lenses in some of the 4 new mirorless lenses range too - thus making them substantially lighter and smaller . ....... :cat:

Last edited:
I wonder if the Z models will have a high-res pixel shift mode too? ..... I don't recall any reliable speculation on that ......

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back