• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From my Manhattan Window (6 Viewers)

A sign of the autumnal migration

Hello all,

It would appear that I forgot to mention last week's sighting of a great blue heron, at the point, on the Lake. They turn up fairly often, but not regularly.

This week, I briefly saw a yellow bird, which I took as a warbler, maybe it was a yellow warbler, but I could not guarantee that identification.

Last week, I was at the eastern end of Turtle Pond, when a woman, in charge of six seven-year olds, climbed over a low fence and look up a tree. I asked a tall fellow nearby, at what was she looking. He replied, "She's looking at a bird, something like a penguin." :eek!: Without climbing over the fence, I spotted a black crowned night heron, up the tree. Usually, the night herons stay in the shaded shallows, if the water is warm, but they do perch in trees. Today, I saw one, sitting on some branches, but it was only inches above the Lake.

I am still seeing eastern kingbirds, over and near Turtle Pond. Yesterday, I saw three kingbirds, in a tree, at the Belvedere, which overlooks the Pond. I think that I may have seen one, over the Lake, today. Near Turtle Pond, is the Great Lawn, over which barn swallows fly.

Today, my two good birds were a downy woodpecker and a cedar waxwing. For the last few days, I have been seeing a family of Canada Geese: two adults and two goslings. People may thing they are charming, but I generally do not give much attention to Canada geese. If you closely, you might notice turtles swimming in the Lake.

The photograph was taken with an iPod Touch. The other images were painted by Louis Agassiz Fuertes.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :scribe:

Attachments

• great blue heron.jpg
    great blue heron.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 65
  • night heron.jpg
    night heron.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Downy.JPG
    Downy.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 53
  • Waxwings, cedar.jpg
    Waxwings, cedar.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Canada geese.jpg
    Canada geese.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 49
Picking up speed

Hello all,

As of Monday, I was still seeing Eastern kingbirds, near Turtle Pond, which was also hosting a pair of wood ducks. As usual, they were on the southern side of the Pond, where they can easily, and often, disappear into the brush and hanging limbs. I also spotted a probable black and white warbler, in the shadow. It was behaving a B&W, even if I could not good look.

Sunday was a good day. First I saw an immature male rose breasted grosbeak[//b]. About the head, there was some molting, otherwise it looked like an adult. This has been an exceptionally good year the rose breasted grosbeaks, as I have now seen examples both in the autumns and in the spring. Also, on Sunday, I saw my first black capped chickadee of the season.

Warblers are turning up. I have seen male and female American redstarts three times, in the last few days. Today, I spotted a worm eating warbler and an ovenbird.

For the first week of August, things are picking up.

All images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• rose breasted grosbeak.jpg
    rose breasted grosbeak.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 45
  • black capped chickadee.jpg
    black capped chickadee.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 44
  • worm eating warbler.jpg
    worm eating warbler.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 52
  • American Redstarts.jpg
    American Redstarts.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 56
  • ovenbird.jpg
    ovenbird.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 57
Falling leaves

Hello all,

I have hit a poor week. Although trees in the Park are shedding leaves, especially the maples, it may from dry weather rather than the approach of autumn.

I did identify some black and white warblers but I have been confounded in identifying at confusing autumn warblers. I though Nashville, but no one else has seen one. There were more American redstarts, red winged blackbirds, and my first norther waterthrush of the season.

Yesterday, I got to the Maintenance Meadow and was greeted with, "You just missed a...", which would have been a life bird.

Our Canada goslings are maturing, losing their down and taking on typical Canada goose markings.

Paintings by Louis Agassiz Fuertes; the photograph was taken with an iPod Touch.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Attachments

• black and white warbler.jpg
    black and white warbler.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 59
  • red winged blackbirds.jpg
    red winged blackbirds.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 51
  • northern waterthrush.jpg
    northern waterthrush.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Goslings.jpg
    Goslings.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 45
Hi Arthur, hope you are well and don't mind me posting on your thread.I visited New York a couple of years ago and you very kindly supplied some info on Central Park. I was hoping you may be able to assist me again if possible, you have probably seen my post about the road trip, on the last day I was thinking of visiting Pelham Park to look for Owls and staying close by the night before, is this my best option within about an hour of JFK, and is this area 'safe' now, it was had a bad name in the UK, mainly due to films and TV programmes I suspect.

Kind regards

Kevin

Hi Arthur, hope you are well and don't mind me posting on your thread.I visited New York a couple of years ago and you very kindly supplied some info on Central Park. I was hoping you may be able to assist me again if possible, you have probably seen my post about the road trip, on the last day I was thinking of visiting Pelham Park to look for Owls and staying close by the night before, is this my best option within about an hour of JFK, and is this area 'safe' now, it was had a bad name in the UK, mainly due to films and TV programmes I suspect.

Kind regards

Kevin

Hello Kevin,

I must plead ignorance, as I am one of those parochial, but never provincial, New Yorkers, who rarely leaves his patch. Pelham Park is on the mainland, which I have not visited since January. I have not been near Pelham Park, for years. However, Pelham Park should be quite safe, in daylight, as I never knew it to be problematic. It is quite a distance from Fort Apache and other cinematic landmarks.
Are you planning to stay in Westchester County or in Connecticut, both pleasant areas? There are some inexpensive motels, in NYC, which are in rather unpleasant areas.
I would guess that it is a bit more than an hour from JFK, even by auto. New York traffic is rather heavy, except before six AM. Then again, I have not been in auto, since January, for any highway travel.

I am sorry that I cannot be of more assistance,
Arthur:hi:

Hello Kevin,

I have been advised that Pelham Park is rather nice, far from the urban problems, which Hollywood thrust on the Bronx. It has varied habitats, including wetlands.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

a flycatcher

Hello all,

Today's trip to Central Park succeeded in giving me a good sighting. I was informed of great crested flycatchers and I saw one, at the Maintenance Meadow, where it and a blue winged warbler were confirmed by another bird watcher. Apparently that flycatcher, Myiarchus crinitus may have once been known as just a crested flycatcher, as it was listed as such in Eaton's Birds of New York
Otherwise by best birds were a juvenile blue jay and a northern flicker, although I certainly heard red-bellied woodpeckers.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Flycatcher, great crested.jpg
    Flycatcher, great crested.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 51
  • blue winged.jpg
    blue winged.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 42
  • flicker.jpg
    flicker.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 48
A dispute

Hello all,

I have been rather unfortunate in finding birds, of late. This week, one highlight was a nice redbellied woodpecker, which was working a tree, a few meters, away. I did see Philadelphia vireo whiz by me, if I believed nearby bird watchers. Today, I glimpsed a spotted sandpiper across the Lake from Hernshead.

Earlier this week, I saw a Cooper hawk, on a perch, facing away from me. I pointed to it, as a bird watching couple arrived. The husband agreed but the wife said it was too fat, so it must have been a juvenile red-tail. They pulled out a guide book and started discussing the bird. I knew that a Cooper hung out, only a 150m, away, near the bandshell. The husband called his a 'revionist,' but I think he meant that she was a contrarian. When it flew overhead, I did not see a belly band, which makes me think that I was correct from the beginning.

I am about to take my first holiday, if an OAP can take a holiday, in more than decade. In the last eighteen years, I have been away from home, for only one night. This is a holiday for a 'culture vulture,' not a bird watching holiday. I may be back, in a fortnight.*

All images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes
Happy bird watching,

*According to the Beeb, this word is no longer in faction.

Attachments

• philadelphia vireo.jpg
    philadelphia vireo.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 48
  • warbler, chestnut sided.jpg
    warbler, chestnut sided.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 48
  • spotted sandpiper II.jpg
    spotted sandpiper II.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 50
  • cooper hawk.jpg
    cooper hawk.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 53
I'm back

Hello all,

On Thursday, I saw gadwalls on Turtle pond, which seemed to molting, by today. Today, I had a glimpse of a black throated, blue winged warbler[/b], American redstarts and aloft were both red tailed and Cooper hawks[/] Also aloft were chimney swifts, in fair number. But the treat of the day were two adult bald eagles high overhead. The latter would be a life bird.
They were introduced about ten miles to the north, near the George Washington Bridge, but they apparently do get to Central Park.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• gadwall.jpg
    gadwall.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Warbler, black-throated blue.jpg
    Warbler, black-throated blue.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 47
  • American Redstarts.jpg
    American Redstarts.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 47
  • cooper hawk.jpg
    cooper hawk.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Bald eagle.jpg
    Bald eagle.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 45
I know how you feel about Bald Eagles Arthur. Got myself some great sightings this past year and they are nesting nearby. ;)

Central Park

Hello,

The New York Times published a video on the many aspects of Central Park:

http://nyti.ms/Xi7a5c

Registration is required but there is a free allowance of articles.

If you click on the video, at 2 minutes, 59 seconds, there are a few scenes about bird watching, narrated by yours truly. I even get a face shot before the video turns to the subject of drinking.

I was caught without preparation by a Times reporter, who put a wireless microphone on me and asked about bird watching. So my remarks were extemporaneous. At least, I was not captured in some fancy restaurant or bar, which seems to take up most of the video.

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, this week, my mornings were occupied by other things including a physician's appointment and a dentist's appointment.
Monday, it rained.

Happy bird watching,

red eye

Hello all,

First of all, I thought I saw a sharp shinned hawk, but I cannot be certain. Another bird, which was rather distant may have been awood thrush[/], as it had very distinct striped and its tail was not going up and down. A definite sighting was of a house wren[/], and there were more American redstarts, but I did catch a glimpse or two of a red eyed vireo. I am also rather certain that a few ruddy ducks turned up on the Lake, on Friday. On the same day, I saw a [b[magnolia warbler

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• wood thrush.jpg
    wood thrush.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 43
  • house wren.jpg
    house wren.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Red eyed vireo.jpg
    Red eyed vireo.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Ruddy duck.jpg
    Ruddy duck.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 50
  • warbler, magnolia.jpg
    warbler, magnolia.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 56
Tuesday, good; Wednesday, not

Hello,

Yesterday, I managed see a number of good birds, in just two locations: in Strawberry Fields, the north end of the meadow, north of the memorial; and in the Maintenance Meadow.

There are still plenty of magnolia warblers, around, but I was bay breasted warblers[/], as well. I did see a Tennessee warbler go by, but I had a view of a black throated green warble, as well as a common yellow throat. Both red-eyed and blue headed vireos turned up as well. Within a few minutes a brown thrasher and a Swainson's thrush showed up.

I got fleeting views of a female Eastern Towhee and ruby throated hummingbirds. chimney swifts and northern flickers. As I left the Park, I a downy woodpecker, landed on a tree, near Triplets Bridge.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Bay breasted.jpg
    Bay breasted.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Black throated green.jpg
    Black throated green.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 54
  • blue headed vireo.jpg
    blue headed vireo.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 58
  • brown thrasher.jpg
    brown thrasher.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 60
  • Swainson's thrush.jpg
    Swainson's thrush.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 63
Autumnal arrivals

Hello all,

Yesterday and today, were good days. On Sunday, I saw an Eastern wood pewee, a blackpoll warbler and a female scarlet tanager, among other birds, like a black and white warbler.
Today, for the first time, this season, I saw white breasted nuthatches and white throated sparrows, both birds of autumn and winter. I got a good look at a Tennessee warbler , some sapsuckers, and many ruby throated hummingbirds.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Eastern Wood pewee.jpg
    Eastern Wood pewee.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Blackpoll.jpg
    Blackpoll.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 57
  • tananger, scarlet.jpg
    tananger, scarlet.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 60
  • nuthatches II.jpg
    nuthatches II.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 65
  • White throated sparrow.jpg
    White throated sparrow.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Beautiful weather

Hello all,

This morning I awoke to cheering 11ºC. My tweed cap, and a tweed jacket, along with a tie fit my Sunday excursion. This is the best weather which New York has to offer.

Friday and today, were good days for bird watching. On Friday, I saw a red breasted nuthatch [See nuthatch illustration in the previous post] as well as a black capped chickadee. There are still plenty of magnolia warblers and black and white warblers, northern parulas, swifts, as well as common yellowthroats. On Friday, I saw another scarlet tanager, but this male was in its autumnal yellow breast. I had another good look at a brown thrasher, as well as a blue headed vireo. Today, there was a golden crowned kinglet. Today, and last week, I sighted swamp sparrow. Today's sighting was peculiar because I was chasing a reported Lincoln sparrow, when I spotted the swamp, but the Lincoln never revealed itself.
Someone announced arose breast grosbeak but I got hardly a glimpse of it.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :scribe

Attachments

• black capped chickadee.jpg
    black capped chickadee.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 50
  • blue headed vireo.jpg
    blue headed vireo.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 54
  • golden crowned Kinglet.jpg
    golden crowned Kinglet.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Swamp sparrow.jpg
    Swamp sparrow.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 54
  • rose breasted grosbeak.jpg
    rose breasted grosbeak.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
A hurried walk

Hello,

First my thanks to the eighty or so persons who visit this thread, after I post. Without the knowledge that someone is actually reading my jottings, I would have abandoned this activity, long, ago.
On Monday, as I left the park, I saw bird circling, up a tree. It was a little distant but I suspect that it was a brown creeper.

Yesterday, a friend wanted to join me on my walk, to which I gladly agreed. Our first bird was a brown thrasher, which turned up again, later. In the course of this walk, we saw there species of woodpeckers: northern flickers, twice. This bird is always a pleasure to see, except for one unfortunate incident, when one flew into my closed dining area window. It was more surpassed than me, but it managed to fly off. We also saw several downy woodpeckers, as well as one red bellied woodpecker.

As we approached the Oven, the north shore of the Lake, just east of the Point, my friend marvelled, at several hummers, while I was looking at movement in the brush, which is curious because titmice are not timid. I was rewarded with a tufted titmouse, my first since summer, 2013. Oddly, last year no titmice were seen, in Central Park, but were sighted only 9 or 10 km, away, on the mainland, in the Bronx. The oven also had a female red winged blackbird, which has become uncommon in Central Park. At the Point, I got a very glimpse of another phoebe.

To be sure, there were vireos, grackles, cardinals, mourning doves, magnolia warblers, and white throated sparrows, still around.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Brown creeper.jpg
    Brown creeper.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 56
  • flicker.jpg
    flicker.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Red bellied woodpecker.jpg
    Red bellied woodpecker.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 49
  • tufted titmouse.jpg
    tufted titmouse.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 53
  • red winged blackbirds.jpg
    red winged blackbirds.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 52
Seasonal Sparrows

Hello,

This week was not too productive, especially because I missed a few days. Last week, I did catch a glimpse of an olive sided flycatcher, at Strawberry Fields, and an immature double crested cormorant, sitting on a rock, at Turtle Pond. I am pretty sure I spied a wood duck, lurking under overhanging brush, also. at Turtle Pond. I have seen another tufted titmouse, and many white breasted nuthatches and there are still brown creepers, about Central Park. I had a hermit thrush, for sure.

In addition to the plentiful white throated sparrows, I saw my first song sparrows and a fox sparrow[/b of the season, a chipping sparrow. I may have seen a white crowned sparrow, as well.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Olive sided flycatcher.jpg
    Olive sided flycatcher.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Hermit thrush.jpg
    Hermit thrush.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Song sparrow.jpg
    Song sparrow.jpg