• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rick Young Binocular Harness/strap (2 Viewers)

I had the same concerns about the metal rings as John when I first saw this harness in another thread. However, I then viewed the video and it looks like there is another attachment available.

Check out the YouTube video at 43 seconds, and look at the binocular on the left and also at one minute and 43 seconds. Looks like it uses a conventional nylon strap attachment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTm-ZEfB5aE&feature=player_embedded

(Click the small box in the bottom right of the video box to view full screen.)

If I were to order one of their harnesses, I would first contact them about this issue.

It does look like he (Rick Young himself I guess) does have it attached to the bin with a thread instead of directly with the ring. But, in other shots it's just the ring, so it seems even the inventor is cautious about this. I don't think it comes with anything else though.

I'll bet he is using the vortex connector or something very similar. He just took off the little vortex nylon straps that already comes on its own rings and put it on the existing rings attached to the harness.
It's easy...each little vortex strap has two grommets which makes it simple to take on and off the rings. I'll do the same thing.

Last edited:
Annabeth2;2902679 It's easy...each little vortex strap has two grommets which makes it simple to take on and off the rings. I'll do the same thing.[/QUOTE said:
Can you say things like "grommets" on here? :eek!:

Sounds even more risque than Rolling Ball...but probably thats just me o:)

Lee

Can you say things like "grommets" on here? :eek!:

Sounds even more risque than Rolling Ball...but probably thats just me o:)

Lee

Yes you can say it, but you can't say it three times in a row out loud or
a ghoul will appear and tell you that his binocular is better than yours. :)

ok that's my one permitted silly comment for the day.

Ah, ok. Thanks! I won't order a 3 $ item from the US, but that gives some ideas to experiment...

I replaced what came with the harness with 1/2 inch metal trigger snaps from strapworks.com (they use to sell them in almost any color but apparently no longer) and hook them directly to the Vortex strap with grommets, so no metal ring.

Attachments

• MTS-4872-T.jpg
    MTS-4872-T.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 70
All the speculation is fine, from people who haven't tried it! Quite enlightening...

When I use this harness even with only a t-shirt it does not dig into any part of my body nor is the adjustment point a problem in any way. I can barely tell the harness is there, and I like that. This is only my opinion, but based on use, not conjecture.

I did replace the connections for the binocular with snap hooks, to allow use on all my binoculars which utilize the little straps sold I think by Eagle Optics. But that did not change anything having to do with the comfort.

Agree with Osage 100%. Except I didn't "upgrade" my connectors. If someone will post some photos of real bino damage due to split rings I might consider it but I seriously doubt it. Probably more speculation. I did get an extra pair of Rick's quick release connectors so I easily go from one bino to another.

Nice harness. When I pull the bino/harness out of my pack there is a small learning curve to putting it on without crossing the cords but it's second nature now. The fit of the adjustment button is a non-issue and there is no "digging". If you really like a neck strap it might not be for you. I've used a Crooked Horn and a Nimrod harness. The Rick Young is better for me. I doubt I could even find my factory neck straps.

Agree with Osage 100%. Except I didn't "upgrade" my connectors. If someone will post some photos of real bino damage due to split rings I might consider it but I seriously doubt it. Probably more speculation. I did get an extra pair of Rick's quick release connectors so I easily go from one bino to another.

Nice harness. When I pull the bino/harness out of my pack there is a small learning curve to putting it on without crossing the cords but it's second nature now. The fit of the adjustment button is a non-issue and there is no "digging". If you really like a neck strap it might not be for you. I've used a Crooked Horn and a Nimrod harness. The Rick Young is better for me. I doubt I could even find my factory neck straps.

I almost bought the Nimrod harness. It seems like I've made a good
choice going with the Rick Young based on the reviews here.
After I use it on my first outing I'll
come back here and provide my general impression. The only harness
I have experience with is the Leupold which is decent.

Some might think I am that Ghoul.

:) well I don't think you're a ghoul. There are some ghoulish people
out there though.

This harness can be used as a neck strap as well according to the video
and it makes sense that you could use it in different ways. Maybe it
could work as a neck strap with your light Swaros.

Here is the link to EO: http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocula...x-binocular-harness-strap-connectors-set-of-2

They are out of stock there, so I ordered it at Optics Planet. On their site they show a photo of a binocular harness instead of the connectors, but it is just the connectors (based on price):

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-...lIAEA&ef_id=Ulwp4wAAAAj5YYtn:20140106173222:s

I could really just use the quick connector clips I have at home, but that would make the bin hang down farther due to the connector assembly being longer, so I'll try out these vortex connectors first.

Much better than zip ties!:t: I ordered some myself. Thanks for the link Beth and thanks Osage for sharing, I didn't know about these.

I'm not much for harnesses but I do like the Nimrod! Bryce...

The Nimrod is a step up from the all-elastic Crooked Horn type of harness. I still use the Nimrod with my hefty Gold Rings.

In warm weather I don't like the back patch of material working up towards my neck. Not a problem with a coat.

Thanks for the picture, Osage! Together with these little straps looks like a good solution indeed. I'll see if I can get such straps over here.

I played around a bit yesterday and found another workable, though slightly less elegant solution. I cut off bits from a narrower binocular strap and made small loops through the lug of the bino and directly to the lug of the plastic strap attachment thing.

If someone will post some photos of real bino damage due to split rings I might consider it but I seriously doubt it. Probably more speculation.

I checked, and mine already show some damage. The black paint is rubbed of in the corners of the lug after only couple of uses. No real problem with my Leica, they're already 5 years old and show more sign of being used. But with a new bin, I wouldn't use the metal rings.

Agree with Osage 100%. Except I didn't "upgrade" my connectors. If someone will post some photos of real bino damage due to split rings I might consider it but I seriously doubt it. Probably more speculation.

I do not have any pictures and no longer have the bins, but my Zeiss 10x40BGA strap lugs were worn very thin and sharp from using metal rings. It took many years for it to become bad enough to worry about, but the rings can and will do damage. I now use the vortex connectors, and would not dream of using just metal rings.

I had a strap lug fail on my first pair of Zen-Ray 8x42EDs. I was using a metal ring at the time, and it had clearly worn a groove into the metal, leading to the breakage. Part of the problem was probably that the metal ring was pretty big (it was a key ring), and didn't move much in the lug. I would think that if the ring was smaller, the friction wouldn't be focused on just one spot in the metal and the effects would be a lot less. Still, the Vortex connecters are great and very inexpensive, so that's what I use now.

I stand corrected on split ring/bino damage. Thanks

I am going to look into a non-metal connector but I would like to come up with one that does not make the whole connection longer. A longer connection apparatus allows more bino flop and takes away from the nice secure feeling of the Rick Young harness. I like the looks of the OpTech Adapt-Its but still need a means of connecting to the harness.

I stand corrected on split ring/bino damage. Thanks

I am going to look into a non-metal connector but I would like to come up with one that does not make the whole connection longer. A longer connection apparatus allows more bino flop and takes away from the nice secure feeling of the Rick Young harness. I like the looks of the OpTech Adapt-Its but still need a means of connecting to the harness.

Use these straps for a close connection (take them off the rings that they come on): http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocula...x-binocular-harness-strap-connectors-set-of-2

You can get them at Optics Planet (in stock there).

and see my post# 21 (last paragraph). This is how the guy in the video uses it and it is a close connection. I was going to use my quick clips, but that would be a long connection. Get the vortex connectors and use just the strap (that comes on the ring) putting them on the rings attached to the harness.

I checked the video now. True, he uses these vortex straps just in addtion to the metal ring provided with his harness. Seems he doesn't want to scratch his Swaros ;) Just wonder why he doesn't provide such straps with his product then...

>>he uses these vortex straps just in addtion to the metal ring provided with his harness<<

Exactly, and this increases the length of the connection. My harness is at home but I'm going to work on a method to eliminate the split ring completely.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back