• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Calamornis foxi Sclater, WL 1927 (1 Viewer)

From the other foxi thread:

The dear old HBW (today non-Alive) Key, per 6th of May 2020, had the following:
foxi / foxii
● T. V. Fox (1879-1918) in Uganda 1909-1918 (syn. Acrocephalus rufescens ansorgei).
● William J. Fox (fl. 1940) US librarian at the Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia (subsp. Cranioleuca vulpina).
● Dr John Lawrence Fox (1811-1864) US Navy, Assistant Surgeon 1837- 1847 (on US Exploring Expedition 1838-1842), Surgeon 1847-1864, Fleet Surgeon 1864 (syn. Limosa lapponica baueri).

In my pipe-line/List (of names to check, try to solve, onwards) I've got the Common/Vernacular name "Fox's Weaver" Ploceus spekeoides GRANT & MACKWORTH-PRAED 1947 (OD here), no English name, no outspoken dedication, but "Collected by T. V. Fox, for ...". The latter (Common/Vernacular name) is most likely commemorating the same "T. V. Fox" as the invalid "Calamornis foxi" W. L. SCLATER 1927 [a synonym of Acrocephalus rufescens ansorgei HARTERT 1906]

And don't bother to look in the book Whose Bird? (Men and women commemorated in the common names of birds), by Beolens and Watkins (2003). At that point they were lost all together.

To be continued (whenever time allows).

Björn

PS. T. V. Fox will not be the easiest one to search for, due to the loud-voiced and blazing Fox TV. ;)
--

Last edited:
https://naturetravelbirding.com/2020/02/03/bird-of-the-week-foxs-weaver/ claimes Harold Munroe Fox. No clue if this is correct. At least T. V, will not match at all. I doubt even that he was in Uganda https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Munro_Fox .

https://books.google.com/books?hl=d...+uganda&focus=searchwithinvolume&q=T.+V.+Fox+ could give a hint as he is called late District Commissioner.

Could be a Thomas Vernon Fox. Would fit to https://books.google.de/books?id=2P...hUKEwjKr5_Z_7TsAhXO_KQKHcJZCX0Q6AEwAXoECAMQAg

In https://books.google.de/books?id=Yl...hUKEwi6_sDkgLXsAhXSjqQKHdwQDesQ6AEwAHoECAMQAg here we find something like
NOTICE OF ADMINISTRATION OF THE ESTATE OF THOMAS VERNON FOX (DECEASED)

So we can find

The Estate of THOMAS VERNON FOX , late of Kampala , deceased , intestate , who died on the 31st day of May , 1918

Last edited:
It's a bit premature (as I haven't dug into it at any depth), but just to save anyone some unnecessary work, and as this thread is already started, I will post what I have in my notes about the fairly unknown British collector Mr. T. V. Fox (1879–1918), stationed in Uganda between 1908 and 1918 ... (some of it already posted in my #2) ;)

He is commemorated in the Common/Vernacular English name:
• Fox's Weaver, for Ploceus spekeoides GRANT & MACKWORTH-PRAED 1947 (here), no English name, no dedication, but:
Type.—In the British Museum. Adult male, Ngariam, Teso, central Uganda, July 30, 1913. Collected by T. V. Fox, for ...
The first use of the English name Fox's Weaver seems to be in African Handbook of Birds/Birds of Eastern and North Eastern Africa, by (the same Authors) Mackworth-Praed & Grant, in. vol. 2, 1955 (p.893), though without any explanation (nor an out-spoken dedication).

Also commemorated in the invalid scientific name:
• "Calamornis foxi" W. L. SCLATER 1927 (here) [a synonym of Acrocephalus rufescens ansorgei HARTERT 1906]:
A male collected by Mr. T. V. Fox at Lake Maraye in Kigezi District, S. W. Uganda, on 8 January 1911, and ...

Apparently Mr Fox was of the British Administrative Service, stationed in Uganda 1908-1918 (he died 31 May 1918). See The Uganda Journal 20 (2), 1956, (here; p.108, see footnote, pre postscript).

He also, for example, collected the Holotype of the Papyrus Canary (Serinus) Crithagra koliensis MACKWORTH-PRAED & GRANT 1952 (here), as "Serinus capistratus koliensis"... on the 13th of March 1910, in the same Uganda.

Note: Once again the book Whose Bird? (Men and women commemorated in the common names of birds), by Beolens and Watkins (2003), is in error (sigh!), as their candidate; the British Professor in Zoology "Harold Munro Fox" [he was of German Heritage, born Fuchs] (1889–1967), wasn't even close to Uganda in those years. If ever!? In 1913 Harold Munro Fox was newly employed by the Royal College of Science, stationed in London. Either way, the same Authors came to a more appropriate conclusion in their book The Eponym Dictionary of Birds, 2014 (here).

That's what I've got this far.

Now; let's compare notes. ;)

Björn

PS. And beware of all the other Foxes (either on TV, or on two, or four legs) that anyone will find if/when trying to search for him ... neither the British Commander Thomas Fox-Pitt (1897–1989), who served in the Colonial Administrative Service, in Northern Rhodesia (1927–51), nor with the two Missionary Brothers George T. Fox and John C. Fox (commemorated in some Rodents), who were active in Nigeria in the early 1910's.
--

Last edited:
Thomas Vernon Fox

Birth
20/11/1878 (20 Nov 1878)

Baptism
08/01/1879 (8 Jan 1879) Hammersmith, Middlesex, England

MARRIAGE DATE: 18/03/1914 (18 Mar 1914)
MARRIAGE PLACE: All Hallows, Tottenham Haringey England
FATHER: William Scott Fox
MOTHER: Mary Ann Thomson
SPOUSE: Amy Elizabeth Hale

Death as above (see attached).

P

Attachments

• tvfox.JPG
    tvfox.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 7
T. V. (Thomas Vernon) Fox's Weaver

https://naturetravelbirding.com/2020/02/03/bird-of-the-week-foxs-weaver/ claimes Harold Munroe Fox. No clue if this is correct. At least T. V, will not match at all. I doubt even that he was in Uganda ...
Nature Travel Birding clearly seem to have read, and believed, the book Whose Bird? (from 2003), or they both share the same erroneous source. I think there's little doubt that we're looking for Mr "T. V. Fox", the District Commissioner (in Uganda), and that he (and his given names) truly was Thomas Vernon Fox (1878–1918), of the Protectorate's Administrative Service 1908-1918. As of here or here.

Well done Martin, I think that's enough (on my part, for my need/MS), you sure saved me some time. Thanks! :t:

Also thanks to Paul! Confirming, verifying the details (simultaneously as I was writing this post!), giving us the actual years and dates! :t:

The only thing I can/might add is that Mr Fox's service in Uganda started on the 18th of December 1908 (here), not the year after (as earlier claimed). Apparently he started a bit lower in hierarchy, in 1915 he seems to have been (only) an "Assistant District Commissioner", later on ending up as a (full-blown) "District Commissioner". See the Uganda Journal (1958), here. Also better scans of the 1956 issue of the same Journal (as in post #4), here and/alt. here.

He's also mentioned in the "History of the Genus Cisticola", where "Mr. T. V. Fox" apparently had collected "80 sk. [skins] of eleven sp. [species] between 1909–13 in Uganda" (here, p.590).

He sure is, or was, a tricky guy to search for ...

Well, well, now it's done (and fairly quickly solved), quite a team work!

Mr T. V. Fox ... over and out!

Björn
--

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back