• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with 7d please (1 Viewer)

Freako

Hi Guys,

Every so often I attempt to take a shot with my 7d and it wont take, nothing happens when I press the shutter button. I am shooting on AV with my 100-400mm lens. Any ideas, very frustrating after sitting waiting for a bird only to miss it.
Thanks,

Mick

There is a setting that stops you taking a shot if focus is not confirmed, think it's set as default in one shot mode, so could it be that?

Last edited:
Agreed with both of the above. Also, are you using a battery grip? If so, check the grip fastening screw is fully tight (or try slackening it off a bit and re-tightening).

Scrapper

I had a similar problem when I first got my 7d, but it was because I had not got the focussing managed properly. I was focussing off centre. As soon as I sussed it it was OK. It is a super camera, I am sure it is only teething problems. Best practise with a stationary object in your garden or something. Think I used a coca cola bottle!!

Not teaching granny to suck eggs, but has the 7d gone to sleep? The standard settings turn it off after a few minutes of inactivity. You can save a different standby setting in the user memories. If this isn't the problem, then try the camera in shutter priority mode or manual focus and see what happens.
Hope you get it sorted!
Andy

Hi Guys,

Every so often I attempt to take a shot with my 7d and it wont take, nothing happens when I press the shutter button. I am shooting on AV with my 100-400mm lens. Any ideas, very frustrating after sitting waiting for a bird only to miss it.
Thanks,

Mick

Not teaching granny to suck eggs, but has the 7d gone to sleep? The standard settings turn it off after a few minutes of inactivity. You can save a different standby setting in the user memories. If this isn't the problem, then try the camera in shutter priority mode or manual focus and see what happens.
Hope you get it sorted!
Andy

I was taking lots of images at a football match yesterday so standby mode not the reason. I also changed shutter priority and manual mode. If I zoom to the full 400mm, sometimes it with take the image, but not always. I have to say its doing my head in at times. I even tried to take am image of an old oak tree a week or so back it happened then?

Hmm, I have used a 100-400 on a 40d in the past, but haven't used it on my 7d yet. Don't suppose it's something linked to I.S. hunting around at the long end of the lens? Where abouts are you? It might be worth someone with the same kit swapping the lens over to see if it moves, or stays with your 7d body.
Does it happen with other lenses? Is it an image buffering problem or a dicky CF card?
Andy

I was taking lots of images at a football match yesterday so standby mode not the reason. I also changed shutter priority and manual mode. If I zoom to the full 400mm, sometimes it with take the image, but not always. I have to say its doing my head in at times. I even tried to take am image of an old oak tree a week or so back it happened then?

Last edited:
Hmm, I have used a 100-400 on a 40d in the past, but haven't used it on my 7d yet. Don't suppose it's something linked to I.S. hunting around at the long end of the lens? Where abouts are you? It might be worth someone with the same kit swapping the lens over to see if it moves, or stays with your 7d body.
Does it happen with other lenses? Is it an image buffering problem or a dicky CF card?
Andy

I'm in Leicestershire Andy. Not a CF card issue I have the issue on different cards.

Hi Mick,

This sounds very similar to a problem my wife had with her 7D/100-400 combo.

She found that it would focus if zoomed beween 100mm to approx 350mm ish but above this it would fail to lock focus about 70% of the time. The lens had worked perfectly for around 3 years previously.

Eventually sent it to Colchester Camera Repairs who sorted it out. From memory I seem to recall that they said that there was a lot of dust in some vital component or other. As the lens had done 2 African and 1 Indian trips I wasn't too surprised to hear that.

I believe it cost me around £200 but it has not missed a beat since.

Hope you get it sorted

Regards

Dennis

Hi Mick,

This sounds very similar to a problem my wife had with her 7D/100-400 combo.

She found that it would focus if zoomed beween 100mm to approx 350mm ish but above this it would fail to lock focus about 70% of the time. The lens had worked perfectly for around 3 years previously.

Eventually sent it to Colchester Camera Repairs who sorted it out. From memory I seem to recall that they said that there was a lot of dust in some vital component or other. As the lens had done 2 African and 1 Indian trips I wasn't too surprised to hear that.

I believe it cost me around £200 but it has not missed a beat since.

Hope you get it sorted

Regards

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, I had the lens serviced only a few months back.

OK Guys, I can definately confirm this is a focus issue, it will not focus at mid-range on the lens, if I zoom to the full 400mm it does. Help please or I am going to kill myself3:)

"I had the lens serviced only a few months back".

Has this only happened since you had the lens serviced?

This happened to me a few years ago with a Tamron zoom lens I sent for servicing, the problem was the lens assembly had not been replaced to its proper position, I sent it back to the repairer and it came back fully corrected this time.

Might be worth getting in touch with who serviced it and have a chat with them about the problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back