• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Product Introduction Today From Swarovski ? (1 Viewer)

The older Neu is still a great 8X30, however an improved one would be a great value if cost was in the $1,500 price range.

You got to admit there was something uncanny about Swarovski coming out with a new binocular at exactly the same time as Zeiss with a little bigger FOV! It had to be planned.:-O

Well, Swaro's NL42 are the answer to Zeiss SF42, which came out 5 years ago.

If there would be a NL32 ready to be launched this year, it would have been announced now as well, before the SF32 becomes available. It will take some more time, but probably not another 5 years.

If the inevitable and already eagerly anticipated 8x32 NL is subjectively only marginally 'better' than the 8x32 SF or even very similar and Swarovski pitch it at just sub-2k, the SF could end up dead in the water, despite all the hype it has received. This could be a major coup for Swarovski and an equivalent blow to Zeiss in the exciting world of optics wars!

The Zeiss SF32 won't be "dead in the water". Even if Swaro manages to sell more NL32 than Zeiss does sell SF32, who cares? At least I don't. What matters to potential binocular buyers is that we may have two great wide-angle 32s with good ergonomics to chose from. And who knows, maybe even Leica is working on a new 32? :-O (this year would have been Photokina, when Leica often announced new products)

I don't think anyone has yet fully explained quite why they're quite so much more expensive than their stable mates. The ELs are roughly a third more than SLCs but the NL range is a 50% hike again. Were the development costs exceptional? Is it tooling up for a new line that makes them cost that much more? Are they harder to make? Or is it the cost of paying for exceptional service? I don't think, though, that a new binocular not yet available has ever previously created such a stir on BF.

I don't think anyone has yet fully explained quite why they're quite so much more expensive than their stable mates. The ELs are roughly a third more than SLCs but the NL range is a 50% hike again. Were the development costs exceptional? Is it tooling up for a new line that makes them cost that much more? Are they harder to make? Or is it the cost of paying for exceptional service? I don't think, though, that a new binocular not yet available has ever previously created such a stir on BF.

One might say it's gone viral !?

And who knows, maybe even Leica is working on a new 32? :-O (this year would have been Photokina, when Leica often announced new products)

Leica has a batch of new 32, in fact 35s, they are called Retrovids
It's interesting to see them put these up against the new SF, although to be fair theirs is available and the SF is not :)

The 7x35 is quite nice actually, I don't know about the others.

I really wish Swaro had started by updating their bestseller 8x32 EL, but binocular companies like introducing the standard expensive x42 first.

This is an interesting year, we've seen new products from the three alpha firms, the NL, the Retrovid and the new SF.

Edmund

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back